Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 34,983 times

Advertisements

just curious about your name, what does elder mean?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAPA View Post
just curious about your name, what does elder mean?
It's a very popular first name in Utah.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmchzn View Post
I love Utah and the people. see I'm from NYC and have had it with big city living. I want peace and quiet. Now I'm not LDS nor do I have any plans to convert to ANY religion. Once they know this they will leave my ass alone. Finally peace and quiet. My job brings me to the top 22 cities in the country every year so I don' t want to talk to anyone when I get home especially kids who thank god will stay clear of me and my girlfriend, by the way we'll be living in sin. I love the Mormos cuz they hate me!!!!Yippie peace and quiet. They will avoid me like the plague
hahahahahaha yes I'm movin in 08. Castle Valley,Moab area.
agnostic
Joe
Buddah rules!!!
This may be slightly rude, but I imagine you wouldn't have much trouble getting people to leave you alone. I'm not a christian myself, but i try to lead a moral life in the same. If you are indeed buddhist then you are definately not portraying yourself in a way other buddhists would approve of. It appears that you are trying to support the morman way of life which is good of you, but then you appear to mock them and curse on the forums. Just doesn't seem to jive.

That being said I agree with you on the Morman life being one that is easy to live with. Great sense of peace associated with this denomination and sense of family. Which could be a new persons biggest issue. People of the Morman faith generally are very tied to stakes(I believe that is what it is called), it is a very close nit subdivision of their churches that are obliged to spend quite a bit of their social time with each other. So while your neighbor may be friendly and you may in fact be friends, they will be busy most of the time with other stake members.

Other than that, you may get approached by missionaries, but they're generally nice and will leave if you request them to do so.

If you can afford to live in Utah and don't mind it not raining for a very long time, go take advantage of the polite society lds has created and enjoy the beauty for the rest of your life.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 AM

25 posts, read 98,867 times
Quote:
and dont bother posting an dispute to this unless you are NON-LDS and can say you have had a different experience.
Ignorance gives me a migraine. Seriously, I'm totally non-LDS, living in Eagle Mountain among a 90% LDS population in Utah County - and we've just decided to buy our home. NOT because it's a great house (though the price is lovely) but because our neighbors rock. I can change my house, can't change the neighbors. Maybe if we're less judgemental towards things that are different, or LDS in this case, we'll find them easier to tolerate and get along with. I refuse to believe that I live on the only street in Utah in which the LDS and Non-LDS get along beautifully. If you're finding that you've had a negative experience, perhaps you need to look at what YOU can do to make it a positive one.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,433,153 times
people are very nice here. It doesn't matter that you are Liberal.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,608 times
When you read all the different forums on city data and see all the people asking about liberal and conservative, and it is alot, and I have asked also, I have stopped asking, but none the less have asked. It seems we have a very serious problem in the USA ,people cannot live where they want or may need to for work. Am I the only one seeing this.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 PM

35 posts, read 165,704 times
I'm a liberal from the East Coast now living in Cedar Hills (next door to American Fork) and it hasn't really bothered me except to know that my vote basically doesn't count here. I still vote because it is my right and duty, but just know when you move to the most Republican county in the most Republican state that you will be in the minority. Best bet, don't discuss politics and religion and you will get along great. If they bring it up just politely decline to talk about it. Weather is beautiful except during winter inversions when it gets really smoggy. There are health food stores around, in fact, there is a small one in Highland and most grocery stores offer organic options.

Overall, I have had a very positive experience in my 10 months as a Utah resident.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grblpwr View Post
I'm a liberal from the East Coast now living in Cedar Hills (next door to American Fork) and it hasn't really bothered me except to know that my vote basically doesn't count here. I still vote because it is my right and duty, but just know when you move to the most Republican county in the most Republican state that you will be in the minority.)
I know how you feel. As a conservative, I knew I was throwing my vote away when I lived in Granola Northern California. My old area was the breeding ground of ultra left wing politics and politicians such as Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, Lynn Woolsey, and Barbara Boxer. It was much akin to living in a mental ward. Now that I am in Utah, I feel as if I have awoken from a terrible nightmare.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,433,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I know how you feel. As a conservative, I knew I was throwing my vote away when I lived in Granola Northern California. My old area was the breeding ground of ultra left wing politics and politicians such as Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, Lynn Woolsey, and Barbara Boxer. It was much akin to living in a mental ward. Now that I am in Utah, I feel as if I have awoken from a terrible nightmare.
That's so sad.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,416 times
Have you considered Midway? It has cleaner air. Provo canyon is not a bad commute. I work in AF and there are a few people there that have moved up there. As far as your neighbors - it will depend on the neighborhood. If you move into a new neighborhood you will probably find people more outgoing and less set in their ways. Younger neighborhoods should be more liberal than older as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah