Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 15,368 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering moving to American Fork as a result of a job offer. We currently live in an extremely beautiful town just south of Portland, OR. We are very liberal, outdoorsy people who value outdoor beauty and nice people.

My biggest concerns:

* Ending up in a conservative area where the houses, restaurants, neighborhoods, etc. are all exactly the same.

* Lots of industry polluting the local air and water (and no one caring about it!)

* Lots of giant SUVs with anti-environmentalism, anti-liberal bumper stickers. Basically I don't want to feel hated every time I leave the house.

* Having to drive a great distance to buy healthy, organic food

Living in American Fork isn't a retirement plan but it's a great job offer. Plus we have loved vacationing in UT - we love the desert, and there's obviously tons of outdoor recreational opportunities. Will my concerns prove to be true and outweigh these benefits?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:43 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,432 times
Well...American Fork is very conservative. I have occasionally seen blatantly obnoxious bumper stickers, but they've been from both sides (conservative and liberal) and really, I haven't seen very many. I don't think you'll be hated, but don't expect people to appreciate your politics, lol. I'd probably stay away from that topic as much as possible. Heck, I stay away from it even though I'm in the conservative majority. You never know where someone is going to fall on a particular issue.

Unfortunately, there are lots of cookie cutter developments in the area. You can find some older homes with some character, if you look in the older parts of town. But architecture here is very bland. i'm not sure why.

There are a few health food stores within a reasonable distance (Orem has a couple, about 10-15 minutes from AF). That shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:41 AM

25 posts, read 98,832 times
As was said before, Orem has a couple of awesome organic foods stores. Smith's has a semi-decent selection on the run, and I really can't complain about their produce. I'm fairly sure that the staff at American Fork's Applebee's is 97.9% homosexual, and is always a very friendly environment, though I've heard lots of others complain about the service on msg. boards.

It really depends on what you plan to DO while living in AF. If you're like my hubby, and work a lot, go to school, and keep to yourself outside of pleasantries with the neighbors, you'll be fine. I've found plenty of both LDS and Non-LDS friends all the way out in Eagle Mountain. If you're an outgoing personality, you'll do ok.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 15,368 times
Thanks to all who responded. It was helpful to hear your replies. After weighing our options, we've decided not to move to Utah.

Thanks again, take care.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 27,930 times
Default SO the right choice!!!

I just saw this post and so was glad you did not move here. Lots of people here who are part of the LDS church ( which is the dominating religion here) make it sound like it is so easy to live here but it is not. Unless you are ready to covert, want to at very least pretend to be" Mormon" in order to have any level of social life (Especially if you have children, they will not be allowed to play with your kids, they won't come right out and say why- but they will always have something else going on)
I have lived here all my life, and the only area to consider is Suncrest because most are transplants and don't have to live up to "standards" set by "The Church"... some areas in East SLC are nice with all of the things you said you were looking for... but watch out for out of control media & newspaper hyped up real estate pricing right now. People here tend to believe everything they read and have no reason what so ever to pay attention to what is happening outside of their neighborhood, nevermind the Nation.
The enviromental issues here are outrageous. Sure they are finally working out some of the transportation issues, but they are at least 10 years late on that. And I dont see an end to oil companies ( 6 within 15 miles of each other) going anywhere or even attempting to clean up there act.
Everyone has to compete here with their SUVs, huge houses and families - they can't afford- but hey it's interest only and God wants more Mormons for the battle of the end of the world- yes this is the story they sale... anyway there is just so much that is not normal here, but most people here don't know it because they are told, with the fear for their eternal salvation, not to look, read, watch or listen to anyone with an "outside" opinion.
Needless to say we are leaving as soon as possible and I am excited to live somewhere that when I wear a tank top some one will make eye contact with me and not stare at my shoulders as if they have never seen them, or that it defines me on a whole as a hedant.
"Utah only a friendly place if you are in with the friendlies" - and dont bother posting an dispute to this unless you are NON-LDS and can say you have had a different experience.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 34,001 times
Man melanium I thought I had it bad.. compared to wherever you live... you make my neighbors sound like we're best friends lol.. But hey, to each their own.. we all have had good experiences and bad as well.. but i naturally assume its like anywhere else in the country...personally i think the wearing a tank top comment was a little outlandish..lol.. but oh well **grins**

Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
[quote=melanieum;732798]hedant.[/QUOTE]

A what?????

Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
[quote=SergeantL;733051]
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanieum View Post
hedant.[/QUOTE]

A what?????
I believe a hedant is a monster with horns on the top of its head -- just like all the Mormons have.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
[quote=coolcats;733087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post

I believe a hedant is a monster with horns on the top of its head -- just like all the Mormons have.
Yeah, those non members better be careful or Al Gore em. Pun intended.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
I am non LDS and we have had none of the problems, that you describe. Infact no one oustside of temple square has evan asked me if I am LDS. My husband has had no problems at work either. Sorry you have had them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah