Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 PM

63 posts, read 365,341 times

Advertisements

We have been looking all over Clark County for houses and haven't really settled on any one area. I really like the Camas mountainous area just north of the Camas schools from NE 28th St/Brunner Rd and North. (actually in the city of Vancouver but the Camas school district). But I am wondering about the paper mill (rotten egg) smell. When I was up there in Oct. of last year I smelled it as I was driving through downtown Vancouver, but have never smelled it in the 4 subsequent trips. Now I know that the paper plant's a odor reduction program imposed by the government require stage 2 compliance as of April 16th, 2006 and so it may be that they have done some drastic things in the last year. Is there anyone that lives in that area that can tell me more. How bad is the smell? Is it just certain times of the year? Has it gotten better in the last year?

Thanks,

Karol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Camas Sulfur Smell

Can I take from the fact that nobody has responded, that there is no more sulfur smell in the Camas/Vancouver area from the Camas paper plant??

Old 08-24-2006, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 33,881 times
I don't live near Camas but occasionally drive by. The smell seems to come and go though come to think of it I haven't smelled anything recently. But like I said I am not local to Camas.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:43 PM

Location: SoCal native (Riverside), now in the Seattle area...
102 posts, read 599,591 times
My dad and stepmom live right in Camas (you can see the Mill from their front yard). We visit a few times a year, but the smell is not there all the time. I'd have to check with him to more gauge the frequency of the smell though...

Old 08-25-2006, 12:58 AM

18 posts, read 114,201 times
If you don't like the odor, I would pass on being that close. I'm sure it comes and goes, just like living too close to a landfill....once is enough for me.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Camas Sulfur Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by geon View Post
If you don't like the odor, I would pass on being that close. I'm sure it comes and goes, just like living too close to a landfill....once is enough for me.
The only time that I have ever smelled it was when I was in Vancouver over 13 miles away from the plant. The thing I don't understand is that the best school districts are all right around that plant and the houses in that area are pricey also. So that sort of implies to me that you actually can't smell it as much right around the plant; maybe because of the wind direction?

I would like to take a survey:

- tell me where you live in Clark County?
- have you ever smelled the paper plant?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:45 AM

10 posts, read 61,711 times
Depends on which way the wind is blowing. If you object to the smell then don't move there but it is an issue. Camas is a very expensive area to buy in.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:51 AM

26 posts, read 224,060 times
klpeake, we live in the Vancouver area and I rarely have ever smelled the papermill. We've lived on the Washington side of the Columbia for 6 or 7 years now and I can count on about four fingers the number of times I've smelled the mill. I don't know if it is worse if you're actually living in Camas, but living near Camas, I don't notice it.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:05 AM

550 posts, read 3,266,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRusticCottage View Post
Depends on which way the wind is blowing. If you object to the smell then don't move there but it is an issue. Camas is a very expensive area to buy in.
The wind used to be a HUGE part of the issue, but not so much anymore. I gre up in Washougal and we couldn't smell the mill probably 99.9% of the time. (One nice thing about the east wind coming out of the Gorge!)

But the EPA has SERIOUSLY nailed the Camas mill on it's emissions and they've dropped significantly in the 30 years that I lived in that end of Clark County. They are now required, by law, to notify the surrounding areas when they have a leak of emissions over what is allowed. They're very tight on this now. It's a great change.

But don't worry too much about the mill. It's dying. With layoff after layoff, buyout after buyout, aging equipment and employees with only the knowledge of those archaic machines, that place is on it's last legs as a pulp/paper mill in the current market. It's no longer competitive or cost effective and it's only a matter of time before it's sold and converted into something else.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 18,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpeake View Post
We have been looking all over Clark County for houses and haven't really settled on any one area. I really like the Camas mountainous area just north of the Camas schools from NE 28th St/Brunner Rd and North. (actually in the city of Vancouver but the Camas school district). But I am wondering about the paper mill (rotten egg) smell. When I was up there in Oct. of last year I smelled it as I was driving through downtown Vancouver, but have never smelled it in the 4 subsequent trips. Now I know that the paper plant's a odor reduction program imposed by the government require stage 2 compliance as of April 16th, 2006 and so it may be that they have done some drastic things in the last year. Is there anyone that lives in that area that can tell me more. How bad is the smell? Is it just certain times of the year? Has it gotten better in the last year?

Thanks,

Karol
I have lived in this area nine years. Only recently has the smell been noticable and strong. Many years ago I was in the area, and it was always present. Whatever the government did that forced the mill to make changes seemed to work well. I am trying to find out who to contact about the recent overwhelming sewer-like smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area