Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM

31 posts, read 157,407 times

Advertisements

My husband thinks it would be nice to live in an area where we could walk to a restaurant, coffee shop, book store, etc. Are there any areas in Vancouver to live that would fit this description, and where you would want to raise kids?

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM

44 posts, read 187,935 times
Default Areas that you can walk to restaurants etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2008 View Post
My husband thinks it would be nice to live in an area where we could walk to a restaurant, coffee shop, book store, etc. Are there any areas in Vancouver to live that would fit this description, and where you would want to raise kids?

Thank you for any input.
A popular area in Vancouver is the Uptown Village Area. Some areas of Fisher's Landing are walkable to what you are looking for.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 AM

140 posts, read 429,691 times
If you look on google earth, you can see where the residential is in comparison to the shopping and restaurants.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM

31 posts, read 157,407 times
I have looked at the nice historic houses downtown and the shops, restaurants, etc. I wonder if it would be okay to raise a family in those neighborhoods of historic houses. Are there other families down there, are there shady people lurking around? Are the schools terrible? It seems cool to be within walking distance from the downtown ammenties, the pool, the festivals and farmer's market. But, it is not fair to the kids? We could live in the suburbs by Fishers' Landing or Salmon Creek, but it seems so boring. I can't get excited about that move. What do you think? Would you move your kids in downtown if you could afford a nice house there?

Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 PM

470 posts, read 1,708,221 times
I like the Hough neighborhood in Downtown Vancouver.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 28,563 times
Downtown Vancouver has some great older, historic homes. Keep in mind that most of those older homes down there don't have much for a yard for kids to play in, but there are nearby parks, as well as the Marshall center, which has a great outside play area, a pool and a new workout room. The library is fairly close,and officers row as well. You might look on the city of Vancouver website, I think it has a link to pull up the areas (know, level 2 or 3)sex offenders. My husband works at the Dept. of Corrections, and has mentioned that there are many known offenders down there. Most housing is far enough from the farmers market that you might not want to walk. The park there at the market is Esther Short....it is a very nice park, but in the city, fairly near the railroad tracks, and there is a couple of homeless shelters nearby. Sounds a bit negative, I'm just giving you a mom's point a view, maybe I'm a little paranoid, but the suburbs feels a little safer to me....Felida is very nice, a bit pricey, the lake shore area, even Ridgefield if you don't mind being out a little further, La Center, or Battle Ground ( although it is 7 miles east of the freeway, not quickly or readily accessible to things)...I'm not as familiar with the east end of town, it is growing like mad, has many amenities avaliable....good luck!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 17,507 times
The downtown area are full of meth addicts. Theft is rampant. Check out the sheriff's website on convictice sex offenders living in the area. Looks are very deceiving.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,402 times
My wife and I moved to Vancouver with our 3 year old son in June. We live on the north side of Carter Park neighborhood. We love the fact we can ride our bikes down to the farmer's market or library and walk to the shops on Main Street. Our street seems very safe and we have met with many of our neighbors. There is one house behind ours where some young (early 20s) troublemakers live but one of our neighbors has spoken with them and the police. They know we're watching out for each other. We are the only family on our block with a small child but we have met some great families at the Carter Park neighborhood park. I guess it just depends on the street and the neighbors.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
You could live near downtown Camas as well, coffee shops, grocery etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 79,586 times
Default Uptown Vancouver is great for Walkers

Hello-You said you wanted to be able to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc. Well, there is no mall but there are small shops, antique and other stores, the river, dozens of really good restaurants, taverns, a great little used book store, swmming pool, parks, downtown concerts in the park and weekend market etc. etc. in the area known as 'Uptown/Downtown Vancouver, Washington. Older homes. You have to check out the neighborhoods yourself to determine if a particular street is within YOUR walking distance.

Do be warned that there is more than likely a toll bridge going in across I-5 and the 205 bridge will be tolled as well if TAX and Spend and BROKE BACK Portland get there way. If you commute to Oregon you will pay huge income taxes and possibly heavy tolls thereby hurting your financial bottom line. Portland's major has been on the public dole his entire life, drives a gas guzzling pick up truck but he's a greenie who likes to spend other's people green if you know what I mean.

Vancouver is beautiful and the people are exceptionally nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area