Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 12:05 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is my first time voting in Clark County during a general election and I had a few questions.

It seems like they are mailing out ballots pretty late given the election is less than a month away. I don't think anyone has received their ballots yet. Is this normal? When we lived in CA, they were sent out earlier prior to election day. With covid and so many people voting via mail-in, it's going to take a long time to see final results. This problem was also discussed, in part, during the first debate.

It looks like they are also offering an 'Online' ballot. At first I thought, great! I can perform everything online. However, that's not the case. It's simply another way to print out a ballot, then send it in. This might help if the mail-in ballot gets lost in the mail, perhaps.

Looking over the Online Voters' Guide, it appears the only 'local' business is selecting county commissioners and councilors. I know nothing about these people. Though you can click through the guide to get their personal statement. I guess that helps some.

Regarding measures, there's really not much there beyond a bunch of new taxes and sex education in the schools. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-04-2020 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 02:44 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
It took Washington State numerous revisions to get mail voting refined but it seems to work well now. Since it is the established system I don't think there will be much Covid impact. The online ballots are new to me and I thought it takes advance registration to vote.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
The most consequential close race in Clark County will probably be WA-3rd Congressional Race between Jaime Hererra Beutler and Carolyn Long. Some of the state legislative races might also be close but they usually aren't.

Don't worry about the system. The counties are supposed to mail you your ballot no later than October 16th. There are red drop boxes all over town where you can return them if you don't want to use the mail. They have 22 locations in Clark County

https://clark.wa.gov/elections/ballot-deposit-locations

There has been so much negative news about elections problems around the country that one does get nervous. But WA has it pretty well down. I wouldn't worry. There is a process by which you can get a replacement ballot if yours doesn't arrive. Mine always has

Old 10-06-2020, 11:24 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hello,

This is my first time voting in Clark County during a general election and I had a few questions.

It seems like they are mailing out ballots pretty late given the election is less than a month away. I don't think anyone has received their ballots yet. Is this normal? When we lived in CA, they were sent out earlier prior to election day. With covid and so many people voting via mail-in, it's going to take a long time to see final results. This problem was also discussed, in part, during the first debate.
Frankly, I got mine already and sent it back.. the final results won't take long as all ballots will be totaled in one day. That's what computers are for.

It's incumbent on the voters to know their ballot drop off places. In my case, I am in clark county, but my ballot came to cowlitz county as that's my mailing address.

One thing that does bother me is the argument about if or if not using the "secrecy" envelope makes your vote invalid. I feel that it shouldn't matter as it was enclosed in an envelope which no one can see anyway......

Old 10-06-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Frankly, I got mine already and sent it back.. the final results won't take long as all ballots will be totaled in one day. That's what computers are for.

It's incumbent on the voters to know their ballot drop off places. In my case, I am in clark county, but my ballot came to cowlitz county as that's my mailing address.

One thing that does bother me is the argument about if or if not using the "secrecy" envelope makes your vote invalid. I feel that it shouldn't matter as it was enclosed in an envelope which no one can see anyway......
In WA the ballot secrecy envelope is optional. Not using it will not invalidate your vote. That was a ridiculous ruling from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court that only applies to PA.

I don't know how you got your ballot and sent it back already if you are a WA resident, unless you requested an advance absentee ballot. The regular ballots don't go out until next week.

As for vote counting. The smaller counties generally get their counts done pretty quickly. Typically King County takes a lot longer, sometimes up to a week, to get all their ballots counted. That usually doesn't affect reporting of results unless there is a really close statewide race. But it does delay knowing who won some of the more contentious King County and Seattle area local races.

The local media are pretty good at looking at trends and the numbers of uncounted ballots and where they are from and figuring out the likely winners.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
In WA the ballot secrecy envelope is optional. Not using it will not invalidate your vote. That was a ridiculous ruling from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court that only applies to PA.

I don't know how you got your ballot and sent it back already if you are a WA resident, unless you requested an advance absentee ballot. The regular ballots don't go out until next week.

As for vote counting. The smaller counties generally get their counts done pretty quickly. Typically King County takes a lot longer, sometimes up to a week, to get all their ballots counted. That usually doesn't affect reporting of results unless there is a really close statewide race. But it does delay knowing who won some of the more contentious King County and Seattle area local races.

The local media are pretty good at looking at trends and the numbers of uncounted ballots and where they are from and figuring out the likely winners.
Wow, yeah, I didn't think anyone had received their ballot yet. It's good to know the counties have refined their processing systems. This time it will be different with covid and so many more by mail. No getting around that. But as long as they can process all the mail-ins in a timely manner, we should know the results in the not too distant future!

Derek

Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wow, yeah, I didn't think anyone had received their ballot yet. It's good to know the counties have refined their processing systems. This time it will be different with covid and so many more by mail. No getting around that. But as long as they can process all the mail-ins in a timely manner, we should know the results in the not too distant future!

Derek
WA has been vote by mail since 2005. So there shouldn't be any MORE mail-in ballots to process than in any other ordinary year here in WA unless the turnout is higher or population has increased. They pretty much know what they are doing. It's the states for whom this is a new thing that are going to have problems.

Personally I always use the red drop boxes rather than mailing the ballot back. And I check on the Clark County elections web site to verify that my ballot was received, which is simple and easy to do. I don't see the link on their web site now. But they put it up during the election. And if your ballot is lost they have a process to request a new one. We used to live in Texas. It's a nice change to live in a state that actually works hard to make voting easier and more convenient than the opposite.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:33 AM

Ok, I'm asking for your 'biased' opinion which everyone is entitled to. Is there anything big or earth shattering this election besides the obvious presidential and gubernatorial races, in your opinion?

Like I said, I know nothing about these other commissioners, etc... Anything really good or crazy being proposed, in your view?

Thanks,
Derek

Old 10-07-2020, 06:04 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,046 times
Measure 90, concerning child sex ed. Couldn't care less about it, but you may.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Don't worry about the system. The counties are supposed to mail you your ballot no later than October 16th. There are red drop boxes all over town where you can return them if you don't want to use the mail. They have 22 locations in Clark County

https://clark.wa.gov/elections/ballot-deposit-locations

.. But WA has it pretty well down. I wouldn't worry. There is a process by which you can get a replacement ballot if yours doesn't arrive. Mine always has
"no later than October 16th" ...not too useful to those of use who travel FT w/o a forwarding addy.

Too slow too late... I am home for 7 days. leave on 13th (hit the road),

Guess my vote won't happen or count. (not unusual for the 35 of 39 counties in WA who form the 'minority'). Too bad I won't have a say in local matters, but a 'democracy' purposely does not represent the views or tax revenues or / job creation of those contributing and finding the financial health of the community.

+/-

Great 'system' for renters / transient residents / those feeding off the public pig trough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area