Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,931,256 times

Advertisements

I hear that Vancouver has the mildest winter climate in Canada, as does Victoria.

I was curious how inland that climate goes and how far north does it go? I realize high mountain areas would get a lot of snow, but I'm talking city locations in valleys mainly.

Is Prince Rupert mild in the winter? Is Kamloops? Is Prince George? Is Kelowna?

Can someone familiar with the climate perhaps indicate where the mild weather is? Is it just a very narrow coastal strip, a semi-circle from the Southwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,547,261 times
In the winter it stays fairly mild as far north as Alaska as long as you are somewhere between the coast mountains and the straight/Pacific. It would hover around +2-5 celsius in winter with occasional brief colder temperatures. There was a high of 8 today in Victoria, which is normal.

Kamloops and those valley towns are not bitterly cold during the winter but have a pretty balanced 4 seasons; the ideal Canadian climate without any pain. I believe the negative temperatures don't normally reach double digits.

And I'm not so sure about Prince George and Prince Rupert. Pretty much anything inhabited in BC is a lot warmer than anything in the other provinces, though.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,941,509 times
What Jesse said is correct. You also have to consider spring, summer and fall temperatures. For example, Prince Rupert has no summer to speak of, really. It's like northern Scotland. Does that matter to you?

Vancouver has mild to warmish summers. Victoria is a little warmer because it's in a sheltered location. Kamloops, Kelowna and other low elevations in interior southern BC have hot summers with many days in the 30s. Kamloops is hotter than Kelowna. The hottest locations are Lytton, Lilloeet, Osoyoos and Penticton, where highs in the upper 30s and low 40s can occur once or twice a year.

Personally, I'd pick interior southern BC. Winters are still very mild and short by Canadian standards, and sunnier than in Vancouver. Spring, fall and summer are sunny and well-defined seasons, not like on the coast.

Prince George has a nasty climate. Forget about it.

If you don't like hot summers but also dislike Vancouver's wetness, try Abbotsford.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:14 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,149,445 times
Inland from Vancouver, Chilliwack averages a Vancouver-like 6C on winter days but is warmer in summer with an average max of 25C.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I hear that Vancouver has the mildest winter climate in Canada, as does Victoria.

I was curious how inland that climate goes and how far north does it go? I realize high mountain areas would get a lot of snow, but I'm talking city locations in valleys mainly.

Can someone familiar with the climate perhaps indicate where the mild weather is? Is it just a very narrow coastal strip, a semi-circle from the Southwest?
the southern interior has an upper-mountain semi-arid climate - very hot half the year; mild snow litterings the other half. parts receive less precipitation the the sahara desert. irrigation feeds a wealth of orchards and vineyards. as you travel north past 100 mile house/Lillooet - still extremely pleasant. by village of uesnel in the high-mountain boreal forest - hot summers/cool autumns n springs ... cold winters. entire coast very wet but very warm. the gulf, interior salish sea, and discovery islands bathe micro-climates equivalent to southern California - the rain-shadow effect halts the pacific n interior humidity; but the central pacific warmth rides over the island mountains. the island is very pleasurable and to it's northern tip - mild - but wetter the more north. north of quesnel is prince George - west of the city for 100's of kilometres - very comfortable. central and east quickly colder in a high-mountain boreal forest/grass prairie all the way [100's of km] to the Yukon border. largest and most northernly agricultural region in the world. fed by innumerable massive watersheds n river systems [the peace/Mackenzie is 7th largest in world/feeds the largest migratory wetlands in world ... and growing furiously] some river systems have carved canyons so deep that micro-climates often 3 - 4C are common. the howling winds will kill yeah, though. past the desert feel of the west-south interior is the kootenays - god's gift of raging rivers, hot summers, mild winters, killer alpine sports, great little collections of cultured urbanity, mountains that claustrophia could induce ... and 100's ok km of virgin high-mountain coniferous and rain forest growth.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM

169 posts, read 270,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
www.Wilson-Roofing.com
I was curious how inland that climate goes and how far north does it go? I realize high mountain areas would get a lot of snow, but I'm talking city locations in valleys mainly. Vancouver Roofer, Vancouver Roofing, Vancouver Roofing Contractor, Vancouver Roofing Service
Vancouver Roofers, Vancouver Roofing contractors, Vancouver Roofing Services

The Okanagan/Kelowna gets down to -20 Celsius at the coldest point in the winter time.
With allot of snow in December and January.

Vancouver snows about 1-2 days out of the year and rarely gets below -0 celsuis

Basically the warmest weather in Canada is the lower main land and Victoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver