Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 14,074 times

Advertisements

So here's the Deal I'v decided to no longer waste my time in Az and move to somewhere where I am unknown and everything is new to me. So i decided on Canada more specifically Vancouver. Unfortunately I know little to nothing about it so this is where you all come in. I need insider info on things like good/bad areas of vancouver because every city has that devide somewhere and I would like to be on the right side.Housing would be good to get some knowlege on cost of liveing exct. Also need to know a little bit about colleges prefrebly community. Anything will help and be much apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
How about meeting the admission requirements first? That's usually the best place to start. Canada is a different country.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 PM

already got that far just need the previous info

Old 12-24-2008, 02:59 AM

105 posts, read 580,186 times
- Large asian demographics, but is very culturally diverse.
- No areas are really that bad, there's bad apples of course, but this isn't South Central LA
- Living on the West End/Near Downtown can be pricey. East End vancouver is cheaper, but I would suggest living in outskirt cities like Burnaby, New Westminster, Richmond, etc. They aren't as expensive, and don't take all that long to get to Vancouver.
- Greater Vancouver transit/bus is excellent, and in some cases, it's better to take transit opposed to driving to work
- Lot's of colleges in the area. Alot of people from Vancouver would go to New West or Burnaby for College, and vice versa. The major universities in the area are UBC and SFU, which have pretty high academic standards (especially UBC)

Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 AM

170 posts, read 893,446 times
There's also Kwantlen College and the BCIT Aerospace campus in Richmond and of course Langara in Vancouver itself.

If you want to live in downtown Vancouver be prepared to pay. My building rents at $1400 per month for 650 sq ft. And as you're from Arizona be prepared for the weather and the drastic change in the perception of the quality of light. It can be very dark in Vancouver due to the amount of cloudy days we get. Some people are really affected by it. Some people say that food is expensive in Vancouver but having shopped in Seattle over the years when I'm visiting family I find the price of fruits, vegetables, meats and staples to be very similar. Milk, eggs and cheap cheese might be a little more but not enough to make any difference.

I'm curious why someone would decide to move to Vancouver when they admit they know little to next to nothing about it.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:26 AM

well the climate actually that was a key reason for moving there I love the cold and in tucson the summers can get up to 115-120.... Its ridiculous. As for moving out there with no prior knowledge... well one no one knows me out there and two for the adventure

Old 12-24-2008, 08:32 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
The cold???? LOL

Vancouver is the banana belt.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Yes, "cold" in Vancouver! That's amusing!

If you do decide to emigrate to Canada, you'll need this:
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/help-aide/az-eng.html
and perhaps first of all --
Customs - Information for Settling in Canada or Coming to Canada to Study or Work

If you have a felony conviction in the U.S., or a DUI, Canada will not let you enter. There is a pardon procedure in which you can apply to the Canadain government for a pardon. That takes a long time.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
The cold???? LOL

Vancouver is the banana belt.
Anything under 23C for a Tucsonan is cold.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 AM

born and raised in Queens,Ny when I say "cold" I mean single digits to sub zero kiddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver