Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM

14 posts, read 45,475 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to live in Vancouver (Surrey to be exact..lower mainland). A friend of mine owns a three level townhome and she has offered to sublet it out for $600 canadian dollars..I have visited Vancouver and I must say it is tempting. Is that a reasonable offer? to give you some background I am just a normal guy never married no children.. Virtually no debt..I have a degree in Political Science..I am a hard worker but I do not have rock star qualifications..that maybe some employers up there are looking for. I live...was born and raised in Nebraska...it would be quite a change from around here...so if anyone has an opinon or anyfeed back if this is a decent price and can survive financially in a place like vancouver please let me know...Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,448,364 times
If you're paying $600 for a 3 level townhouse, that's a steal! Surrey, however, can have good areas and bad areas... and it's physically massive, so make sure you're in a convenient area and not in some isolated suburban sprawl. Surrey's located 3 suburbs away from Vancouver. If this townhouse is next to the skytrain line, then you'll have fast and easy access for getting into Vancouver. However, even then, it takes about 30-40 minutes to get between Surrey and Vancouver by skytrain.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 PM

47 posts, read 182,485 times
Do you really need a 3 level townhouse if it's just you?

You could always rent something smaller and be closer to where you'll work and play. Less time spent cleaning...

Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 AM

106 posts, read 490,972 times
Folks,
he said SUBLET!
that means the friend is letting him have a 'room' in the 3 bedroom townhouse. He can probably use all the amenities of the place but he is NOT renting a 3 bedroom townhouse for 600! totally different concepts.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM

77 posts, read 378,462 times
It really depends where in Surrey it is. Like Robynator says, Surrey can be pretty bad or it can be pretty reasonable (e.g. if it's in Whiterock). It isn't actually that quick or easy to get into downtown Vancouver proper from Surrey on public transit, and it can even take quite a while if you have a car. There aren't enough bridges connecting Surrey to Vancouver, so especially during rush hour it can suck hard.

Vancouver and the Lower mainland has a very high cost of living, even after you factor out your grocery costs. For example, our grocery bill was reduced by 50% by moving from Vancouver, BC to Saint Paul, MN. My guess is Saint Paul, MN is more expensive than Nebraska, so be prepared for some sticker shock on the price of groceries.

Find out from your friend what neighborhood it is in, and then we can give you a better idea if it's a good idea. $600 doesn't seem unreasonably expensive, nor does it seem like a steal. You could probably get a bachelor apartment in Vancouver, either in the Marpole area or around 16th and Oak for $700. IF you want to get out and meet people, those are probably much better areas to live in. I used to live in Kitsilano (a neighorhood in Vancouver), and our rent was $900 / month for a 600 sq ft one bedroom.

Brad

Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 AM

43 posts, read 87,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssb2000 View Post
Folks,
he said SUBLET!
that means the friend is letting him have a 'room' in the 3 bedroom townhouse. He can probably use all the amenities of the place but he is NOT renting a 3 bedroom townhouse for 600! totally different concepts.
Sorry, but that isn't what "sublet" means in practice. They're not just talking about letting him have a room... that would be renting him a room... they are handing over the use of the entire unit to him.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 AM

106 posts, read 490,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Sorry, but that isn't what "sublet" means in practice. They're not just talking about letting him have a room... that would be renting him a room... they are handing over the use of the entire unit to him.
I stand corrected.
thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver