Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 07:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times

Advertisements

Sorry to see that Lightlife Foods, maker of vegetarian and vegan products has now begun to add chicken eggs into its products. Lightlife, which is now owned by the agri-giant ConAgra follows Kellogg's Morning Star Farms which recently added eggs to its "Meal Starters Crumbles" much to the detriment to that product as well as many others in its line. Multinational Kraft Foods which now owns Boca products also adds eggs to their foods. One wonders if the eggs they're introducing into their products come from one of those hellish factories like the ones currently involved in the 400 million egg recall? The factories where millions of debeaked chickens spend their short miserable lives confined in tiny battery cages and never get to see the sun or put their feet on the ground and scratch around?

The thing that is so frustrating is that all of these formerly good products were very attractive and tasty before their independent companies were taken over by giant multinational meat packing corporations

Lightlife | Facebook Note comments regarding new "Smart Cutlets"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times
Qw,

First, thank you for posting this.
This is very disturbing news.

For those of us who choose to eat No animal products but enjoy those soy- ground "crumbles", (and such products)... "we" (and "we" know who we are) are finding it increasingly difficult to make the "right" decision.

we have to make sure there is no egg, dairy etc in what we purchase and ... ultimately, put into our bodies.

I think I knew they were owned by a factory farm company and read it only a few months ago that they were owned by a company called Conagra, which sounded familiar but at the time did not put it together, anyway I stopped buying product, then a month or so ago i checked again and did not see that they were owned by this conagra factory farm company.

Well, now that you write this it brings it to my attn again and I just searched and yeah, sure enough...
sad, ... but you are right.

What can "we" as conscious consumers purchase with out supporting ... companies that practice things that which we, at least I, am against...

Here is a couple links that I found tonight.
I have a Lightlife product in fridge.
I better do more research and Really try to avoid these types of companies.
I will try to find (or make) a list of family owned, independently owned companies that I would much rather support and give my money to, even if it does cost more.

Thank you again for opening my eyes to what I may have been avoiding.

Living Tree Community Foods - Top Organic Brands

Vegetarians in Paradise/ White Wave/Dean Foods/Suiza/Food Company Mergers

Vegan Street - Natural Products Buy-Out Watch

Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 AM

this all just makes me think...
I was thinking how to avoid it--- big conglomerates...

but then I saw this:

Caring Consumer // Information for Consumers // Consumer Products // The Body Shop and Tom's of Maine: Still Cruelty-Free

and explains that since large corporations have bought small companies, smaller companies that are compassionate, these large corporations have given the smaller compassionate companies a chance to be recognized by being able to advertise etc...
and so getting the "word" out that there are other lifestyle and health choices that people may not have know before.
So I guess it can be a good thing in some ways then...?!?!?

now I am so confused.
I still would rather support smaller, family companies,
but I guess for many purchasing items from these smaller, family companies
is not always possible for some reason or another...not available where they shop, too expensive etc
also not everyone knows compassionate companies exist, I mean, may not think about it and may not care one way or another...
In this case I Can see that having these choices in Big stores will be a good thing, people may choose it consciously and be glad to see such a product in the store where they are yet others may know nothing about it but "pick it" anyway.
Good publicity that these compassionate companies are in bigger store, but yeah, it is because of the big corporation the bought them.

so after thinking and typing away,
since it is what it is, we can only do our best and since companies that have been bought by the bigger "badder" ones, still practice compassion (not all of them I guess) companies like, Toms of Maine, The Body Shop, Lightlife (vegan options) ... etc
then, it seems o.k. to give them our money...

Ok, sorry to keep on writing...

one more very interesting link:
go down to the:
Everything is Relative
Responsible Consumption - Values-based spending (http://responsibleconsumption.com/corporate_responsibility.htm - broken link)

good night

Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
The problem from what I understand, though, is that they bought the small company and changed it for the worse, by adding eggs to a previously animal product-free item. My wife is a vegan, and I know how that is a deal breaker for many people.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Note comments regarding new "Smart Cutlets"
Yes, I love the 'i'll pass your suggestions along' LOL, and the check's in the mail!

Thank you for this posting. I wasn't aware of it, although I don't purchase their products anyway...doesn't mean I don't get them in restaurants when I travel.

And the egg recall, what is it, up to half a billion eggs now? I don't think there's any way to know if contaminated eggs were used in highly processed foods, either. I'm just glad my neighbor has an organic garden....

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
go down to the:
Everything is Relative
Responsible Consumption - Values-based spending (http://responsibleconsumption.com/corporate_responsibility.htm - broken link)

good night
I don't purchase veggie patties or anything else that's highly processed foods like mixes, seasonings, etc. I think the only way you can avoid foods that don't have animal products is to cook everything from scratch and never eat out!

Honestly, I wouldn't trust any of the larger companies who do green-washing. I'm am quite sure they couldn't care less, nor do they need to care, financially speaking. Their bottom line is not your health, but their self-preservation.

Too bad about Tom's of Maine. Ultimately, they will have no control over the development of their products no matter what their buy-out contract says.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:54 AM

I know, ... you just Never know! what really may be in something, even if reputable company or not...

and you are right, you can't trust them and take their word for it...
with that said I do purchase and eat sometimes their smart dogs...
"easy" foods are well when you don't feel like cooking,... easy!
but I have been eating and preparing more veggies and making salads, just Hate it when I get avocados (love them!) and don't use them in time, but they are sooo tasty!!!
just need to go to the store a bit more often to keep fresh veggies.

I do Read All labels on packages, we have to if we are buying such products even when the company says they are Vegan, (which is not the case though for bocca, morning star...) things like ... starting to add eggs to a product that did not previously contain eggs (or any animal product), we have to be ever watchful.

the egg recall, wow when will there be some regulation, more regulation... monitoring... whatever.... to make our food safe!?!?!
we know that it did and does happen with veggies too...
contaminated waters may be a cause though from excess animal poop
but who knows, they won't say, could be many ways it happens...
very disappointing to say the least.

"Too bad about Tom's of Maine. Ultimately, they will have no control over the development of their products no matter what their buy-out contract says." Wicked Felina

Yeah, you are right, ... at the end of the day, the... (how do you say it) the sub-company... doesn't have a say...
whether toms or bocca or Seeds of Change or Arrowhead Mills etc etc etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food