Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I don't disagree; but still maintain that many of the comments are argumentative. And I'll leave it at that.
Well, ones person's argumentative can be another person's constructive insight. In the circles that I run in, it is a broad spectrum of diets and accommodations are always made for those with varying dietary restrictions and nobody argues. I imagine that if somebody pressed really hard one way or the other to the point of being obnoxious and in your face about it, there very well could be. Otherwise it is a non-issue.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-10-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM

13,637 posts, read 10,040,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
At lunch today, with some new people (it was a Meetup group), I revealed that I was a vegetarian. That's it. Wasn't trying to convert anyone or be holier than thou. In fact, I was just saying I was in relation to the Indian food we were eating (that when I spent a week in Belgium, Indian food saved my life because there otherwise weren't veggie options anywhere else).

One woman demanded why I don't eat fish. (Even before I turned veggie, I didn't care for the taste of fish. It always struck me as funny when people praise a fish dish for not being too fishy. I've never praised a chocolate dish for not being too chocolately---in fact just the opposite!). She then commented that there are plenty of fish in the ocean. By that way of thinking, there are plenty of chickens, cows, pigs, goats, etc. And it's not that the world can't survive without that fish/chicken/cow.....but like the starfish story, it's pretty important to that one starfish or other animal to survive and not be brutally slaughtered.
No, I'm also a fourteen stone skinhead!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I don't think the point was to bring the fight here but to provide a possible explanation as to why a considerable amount of arguments occur in the first place - the topic of the thread. At least that is what I took from it. Indeed, I have met some that are their own worst problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Right? That is what I gathered from THL's comment, that it happens often by her writing "threads." At least enough to note it and suggest that as an plausible explanation. I think she was just making an observation of instances of that occurring.
Exactly. Numerous threads in other parts of the City-Data forum.

I do find it interesting that it's apparently okay to some here for some vegetarians from here to go into other parts of C-D, an open, public forum, and aggressively push vegetarianism and actively condemn omnivorism (is that a word?), but it's not okay for those who are not vegetarians to come here and even question. Seems like a double standard to me, and I'm not sure where it appears in the TOS that that's the case. Can somebody tell me where it is?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. Numerous threads in other parts of the City-Data forum.

I do find it interesting that it's apparently okay to some here for some vegetarians from here to go into other parts of C-D, an open, public forum, and aggressively push vegetarianism and actively condemn omnivorism (is that a word?), but it's not okay for those who are not vegetarians to come here and even question. Seems like a double standard to me, and I'm not sure where it appears in the TOS that that's the case. Can somebody tell me where it is?
Fortunately, I get the final say on this. It goes beyond asking questions and has reached the point of trolling.

And trolling IS a violation of the Terms of Service.

I suggest, once again, that everyone read the sticky at the top of this forum, as the TOS will be enforced here.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food