Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Mcdonald's is a pragmatic business. Their food adapts to the local culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a place where the majority of people are veg*n.....to the point that McDonalds opens up totally veg restaurants! But it looks like taht is teh case in India:

Meat-Free McDonald's: Fast Food Chain To Open Vegetarian Restaurants In India In 2013

They are going to have things like a McAloo patty (spicy potatoes).

Sounds good to me, but some Indians are opposing it since it is a business very associated with cow slaughter and so many Indians are Hindus. Would you patronize an all-veggie McD's?
There are already McDs there that serve meat products. This I imagine is the veggie-only version.

I went to a restaurant there in 1999.

I am always cheezed off that other countries get all sorts of awesome different flavors/etc at McDonald's and all we get is the crap flavorless stuff.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
If I were in India, there would be so many other wonderful places to eat. Why waste my time at McDonald's?

I was never a fast food fan even before becoming veg*n so I can't see traveling half way around the world to a place with a notably delicious cuisine and dining in a fast food restaurant.

Yet I've seen Americans do just that in Europe.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Sheena12, when you travel alot, sometimes, it is nice to go to a "familiar" place. The only problem...fast food places in other countries, even though they are "Subway" or "McDonald's", still have completely different foods, and menus. But, at least it feels semi like you are going to get something you sort of "know"...

Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I would definitely be curious to try it, but the cynical side of me thinks they would even turn vegetarian unhealthy.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would definitely be curious to try it, but the cynical side of me thinks they would even turn vegetarian unhealthy.
Well, yeah.
A fried potato is a fried potato.
Being 'Indian' or 'veggie-style' doesn't make the potato any healthier.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, yeah.
A fried potato is a fried potato.
Being 'Indian' or 'veggie-style' doesn't make the potato any healthier.
Funny, I distinctly remember the very first meal of Indian food I ever tasted, homecooked at a friend's place near the University of Chicago more than 40 years ago. It included a patty of mashed potato with what I thought was a tiny amount of chopped fresh green chilis, fried in clarified butter.

It was, up until that time at least, the spiciest bite of food ever to reach my mouth, and I immediately dove for the fresh yogurt to try to cool it down. My friends had a good laugh at that.

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a fried potato, and they have been popular with Indian people long before fast food was even invented. Like most everything else, moderation and balance are key.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a fried potato, and they have been popular with Indian people long before fast food was even invented. Like most everything else, moderation and balance are key.
I'm not saying it's unhealthy. Just saying that it's not necessarily healthier prepared one way or another.
As an Indian person who has eaten all kinds of Indian food, I can attest that there is plenty of Indian junk food out there...freshly prepared and delicious.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,564 times
>> Would you patronize an all-veggie McD's?

I definitely would. Remember, also, that apparently there is a very cruel trade of cow hides (leather) run from India, which provides this hideous product to American companies. So not all of India is cruelty free.

The problem with being vegan is that it is impossible to be 1000%. There is glue in books, in stringed instruments (along with horsehair, bits of leather--but violins are held together by hide glue); there is glue on wallpaper. We're living amidst a very primitive culture, still, and human beings still have the emotional makeup of primitive peoples. We have a long, long way to go. But just because we can't be perfect in every way, doesn't mean we shouldn't try. And keep trying.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
As an omnivore, I don't go to McDonald's now. If they turned vegetarian and I started eating vegetarian again, I still wouldn't eat their food. I try to avoid fast food mass-marketed crap. If I'm in the mood to eat something as tasteless, bland, and nutritionally pathetic as McDonalds food, I'll eat a candybar instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food