Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,970,998 times

Advertisements

Hi ya'll!

My 13 year old daughter and I have decided we are going to stop eating meat and go vegetarian. Our problem is that one of my other daughters is deathly allergic to peanuts / peanut butter. ( Can't even have anything in the house that may have been processed with peanuts) Can anyone make any suggestions? Where is a good place to get recipes? I know we can eat hummus, refried beans, etc, but everywhere I've looked, talks a lot about peanut butter.

Thanks!
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,648 times
What about other kinds of nuts? Almond butter and other kinds of butters are available, not quite the same as peanut butter though. Walnuts are probably among the best nuts though.

I think vegweb.com has recipes.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM

The only nut that won't harm her are almonds, and she still can't eat those, but we may be able to atleast have them around her. Thanks! I'll check out that site!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
I would check out vegweb, as the other poster suggested. They are a goldmine of great easy recipes!

Vegan Recipes by Category

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
Being a vegetarian means not eating meat.
It doesn't mean eating nuts instead of meat.
You can go through your whole life without eating meat or nuts.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Hi ya'll!

My 13 year old daughter and I have decided we are going to stop eating meat and go vegetarian. Our problem is that one of my other daughters is deathly allergic to peanuts / peanut butter. ( Can't even have anything in the house that may have been processed with peanuts) Can anyone make any suggestions? Where is a good place to get recipes? I know we can eat hummus, refried beans, etc, but everywhere I've looked, talks a lot about peanut butter.

Thanks!
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Being a vegetarian means not eating meat.
It doesn't mean eating nuts instead of meat.
You can go through your whole life without eating meat or nuts.
Lol, I know being a vegetarian means not eating meat.However, in my understanding you then need another source of protein, which is why I asked about alternatives to peanut butter. I'm going to check out vegweb, for recipes and greatly appreciate the help! I just hope I don't miss my salmon too much!

Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
If you are concerned about protein intakes, eat tempeh, legumes (peas and lentils are great) and some grains (quinoa, oats for example) also contain lots of protein. There is "almond" milk that you can buy at most grocery stores, that tastes pretty good. Also you can include seeds in your diet, such as sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,466 times
M,
Congratulations to you and your daughter for making this compassionate, healthy, and environmentally friendly decision! You'll soon see that going Veggie opens up an entire new world of food options which are tasty and fulfilling (even when skipping the nuts as well). I never ate quinoa, farro, ratatoulle, etc before I went veg but now I can't imagine not having them.

One of our favorite recipe sites is: Vegan Recipes :: Soup is On!

Also, if you have an Ipod, I recommend downloading the podcast series (for free) from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau called "Vegetarian Food For Thought."

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:10 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,688 times
It can be a little daunting, if only because many "vegetarian" companies don't seem to worry as much about keeping things nut free. Our family is vegetarian and my son's best friend (and daughter of our good friends) is allergic to nuts, soy, and eggs! Yet we have them over for dinner and playdates all the time. While nut butters are a nice protein to use, there are so many other choices out there. Try making some homemade granola bars using only seeds (open you mind the vast amount of different seeds out there). Hemp is suppose to be protein rich--there is hemp milk and hemp seeds, and maybe hemp butter? A lot of people use tahini (sesame seed paste) as a base for spreads. It took me a little while to adjust my pallette to the taste (it isn't strikingly unusual, just a little different), so first choose recipes that really flavor it. Oh, there is also sunflower seed butter, but I have never tried it.

There is another thread here talking about different protein sources, which you might want to look at if you haven't. If you ever have the chance to get a VitaMix, then you could make your own "butters." Oh, and you can always buy protein powder and make smoothies if you are really concerned!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
M,
Congratulations to you and your daughter for making this compassionate, healthy, and environmentally friendly decision! You'll soon see that going Veggie opens up an entire new world of food options which are tasty and fulfilling (even when skipping the nuts as well). I never ate quinoa, farro, ratatoulle, etc before I went veg but now I can't imagine not having them.

One of our favorite recipe sites is: Vegan Recipes :: Soup is On!

Also, if you have an Ipod, I recommend downloading the podcast series (for free) from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau called "Vegetarian Food For Thought."

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Thank you! We are really excited ab out it! Lol, she's bragging to all her friends and trying to get some of them to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
It can be a little daunting, if only because many "vegetarian" companies don't seem to worry as much about keeping things nut free. Our family is vegetarian and my son's best friend (and daughter of our good friends) is allergic to nuts, soy, and eggs! Yet we have them over for dinner and playdates all the time. While nut butters are a nice protein to use, there are so many other choices out there. Try making some homemade granola bars using only seeds (open you mind the vast amount of different seeds out there). Hemp is suppose to be protein rich--there is hemp milk and hemp seeds, and maybe hemp butter? A lot of people use tahini (sesame seed paste) as a base for spreads. It took me a little while to adjust my pallette to the taste (it isn't strikingly unusual, just a little different), so first choose recipes that really flavor it. Oh, there is also sunflower seed butter, but I have never tried it.

There is another thread here talking about different protein sources, which you might want to look at if you haven't. If you ever have the chance to get a VitaMix, then you could make your own "butters." Oh, and you can always buy protein powder and make smoothies if you are really concerned!
Thank you so much! I will look into all of this. While at the grocery store yesterday, I spent some time ( a LONG time,lol) looking at all of the options they had, and there seemed to be quite a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food