Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 03:49 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,137,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Vegan Richa is a cookbook?
It's a website and she has two cookbooks, one Indian, one a variety of cuisines:

Vegan Richa - Vegan Food Blog with Healthy and Flavorful Vegan Recipes

https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Richas-...ds=vegan+richa

https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Richas-...ds=vegan+richa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 04:27 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Thanks, jazzcat22....

Old 11-25-2017, 05:03 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We had - Roasted assorted root vegetables with a balsamic rosemary reduction, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole with pecans and mini-marshmallows, Green bean and wild mushroom casserole, mashed potatoes, Waldorf salad, Rosemary Sage bread, choice of Tofurky Roast with gravy, or Field Roast.

Apple Crisp and vanilla So Delicious ice cream or carrot cake.

That sounds very good.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I went to my non-vegan, non-vegetarian friends' house for Thanksgiving. Was there for a few days, but came back sooner than originally planned, in large part because eating was a pain!

It was the first time since I started eating low-fat vegan in August, that I'd been anywhere overnight away from my own kitchen. They'd chosen to eat at Hometown Buffet - we didn't want to cook - and figured there'd be something for all of us. I was able to find pasta and tomato sauce and some veggies and rice there. But, my choices were soooo limited!

And, driving around for hours shopping really early on Black Friday - which was fun - and stopping with her family at a Burger King - I was starving and ended up having pancakes and hashbrowns. I still stayed away from meat and dairy, but the pancakes probably had some egg in them, and I have been avoiding oil and certainly nothing fried - so the hashbrowns felt like a bomb in my gut lol.

Anyway, I came home early so I could just fix my usual food. I'd packed some foods I could eat, but it was too awkward to just take over their kitchen to fix my usual meals - they wouldn't have cared, but it was just a pain. Plus, I only brought a few options. It's so nice to be home with a fridge and pantry full of lots of choices of foods I can eat.

Anyway, I can see now that traveling could be a major pain. Good thing I don't expect to travel much. But, it was frustrating that even a buffet didn't have more vegetarian options I felt like eating or could eat. Fried, breaded, cheesy, meat, dairy, oil/fried everything. Couldn't even find a dessert I could eat. And all the soup options had meat even.

The good news is, I pretty much stayed on course, and didn't gain any weight at least. And fortunately, they didn't bug me tooooooo much about where do I get my protein LOL. But, dang it's good to be home.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:24 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I went to my non-vegan, non-vegetarian friends' house for Thanksgiving. Was there for a few days, but came back sooner than originally planned, in large part because eating was a pain!

It was the first time since I started eating low-fat vegan in August, that I'd been anywhere overnight away from my own kitchen. They'd chosen to eat at Hometown Buffet - we didn't want to cook - and figured there'd be something for all of us. I was able to find pasta and tomato sauce and some veggies and rice there. But, my choices were soooo limited!

And, driving around for hours shopping really early on Black Friday - which was fun - and stopping with her family at a Burger King - I was starving and ended up having pancakes and hashbrowns. I still stayed away from meat and dairy, but the pancakes probably had some egg in them, and I have been avoiding oil and certainly nothing fried - so the hashbrowns felt like a bomb in my gut lol.

Anyway, I came home early so I could just fix my usual food. I'd packed some foods I could eat, but it was too awkward to just take over their kitchen to fix my usual meals - they wouldn't have cared, but it was just a pain. Plus, I only brought a few options. It's so nice to be home with a fridge and pantry full of lots of choices of foods I can eat.

Anyway, I can see now that traveling could be a major pain. Good thing I don't expect to travel much. But, it was frustrating that even a buffet didn't have more vegetarian options I felt like eating or could eat. Fried, breaded, cheesy, meat, dairy, oil/fried everything. Couldn't even find a dessert I could eat. And all the soup options had meat even.

The good news is, I pretty much stayed on course, and didn't gain any weight at least. And fortunately, they didn't bug me tooooooo much about where do I get my protein LOL. But, dang it's good to be home.
Dining out can definitely be a challenge! I find that I don't even get excited about a salad bar as I used to because I no longer have ranch dressing and I am not really a fan of vinaigrette, but I keep trying! I could take my own vegan ranch dressing, but often eating out happens at the spur of the moment while out and about, so I don't have it with me.

Burger King does have a veggie burger, though you'd need to order without cheese and mayo to make it vegan. I think the bun is safe, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

My go to is Taco Bell, actually! They are super vegan friendly. My favourite is the 7 layer burrito fresco style (they leave off all dairy and add pico de gayo) add potatoes, and grilled. You can also do a crunch wrap with black beans instead of meat, or a taco salad without meat. Their rice and beans are vegan. Oh...and so are the cinnamon twists!

Buffets are bad, though, because most of the veggies are likely cooked in butter. They might have baked potatoes, but only butter and sour for toppings.

My city has a lot of vegan restaurants, which is awesome. I know I can order whatever I want without worrying or having to read the menu super carefully.

If I'm going out I literally Google the restaurant name + vegan and usually find options already sorted out.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Yeah, I also am not a fan of viniagrette dressing, so I wasn't interested in the salad bar, other than to find a few things to put on my pasta with tomato sauce. And who knows what was actually in the tomato sauce lol. I didn't see meat, but it might have had butter or at least oil, which I'm also trying to avoid.

Good news on taco bell! I wondered if their bean burritos were safe to eat.

I bet there are a lot of vegan restaurants here, too. I'm low income, so I rarely eat out. It was just my first eye-opener on how challenging it is to eat away from home, especially when you're not in control of where to eat.

Fortunately, it's not something I will have to deal with a lot.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I also am not a fan of viniagrette dressing, so I wasn't interested in the salad bar, other than to find a few things to put on my pasta with tomato sauce. And who knows what was actually in the tomato sauce lol. I didn't see meat, but it might have had butter or at least oil, which I'm also trying to avoid.

Good news on taco bell! I wondered if their bean burritos were safe to eat.

I bet there are a lot of vegan restaurants here, too. I'm low income, so I rarely eat out. It was just my first eye-opener on how challenging it is to eat away from home, especially when you're not in control of where to eat.

Fortunately, it's not something I will have to deal with a lot.
A lot of pasta sauce you buy in the store has MILK in it, for no reason. It pays to always read labels!

Old 11-27-2017, 08:16 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Dining out can definitely be a challenge! I find that I don't even get excited about a salad bar as I used to because I no longer have ranch dressing and I am not really a fan of vinaigrette, but I keep trying! I could take my own vegan ranch dressing, but often eating out happens at the spur of the moment while out and about, so I don't have it with me.

Burger King does have a veggie burger, though you'd need to order without cheese and mayo to make it vegan. I think the bun is safe, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

My go to is Taco Bell, actually! They are super vegan friendly. My favourite is the 7 layer burrito fresco style (they leave off all dairy and add pico de gayo) add potatoes, and grilled. You can also do a crunch wrap with black beans instead of meat, or a taco salad without meat. Their rice and beans are vegan. Oh...and so are the cinnamon twists!

Buffets are bad, though, because most of the veggies are likely cooked in butter. They might have baked potatoes, but only butter and sour for toppings.

My city has a lot of vegan restaurants, which is awesome. I know I can order whatever I want without worrying or having to read the menu super carefully.

If I'm going out I literally Google the restaurant name + vegan and usually find options already sorted out.
I would never have thought that!

I have never in my life been to a Taco Bell. The first time I heard of it, I was visiting friends on Colorado back in the late 70s. Not long after, they started to appear in New Jersey, too. Not having grown up with any Mexican around, I was never tempted to go there. It was years later before I tried a few things, like tacos, but only had them made at home.

Now that I don't eat meat, I learned about Mexican-ish places like Chipotle where I can get a quick rice-and-beans dinner. There's a Taco Bell not far from me. I might just try the thing you described.

It's surprising where you can get good veg food sometimes. I was in Canada last month, and wanted to find food close to my hotel. I started Googling the nearby chain restaurants, and there is one, a BBQ place called Montana's, obviously meat-heavy. I thought they might have a good salad or even some fish, which I eat occasionally. Turned out they had one of the very best veggie burgers I have ever eaten. It wouldn't work for vegans because it has feta cheese, although I suppose you could ask them to leave it off. But it was so damn good I kept checking to make sure it was really a veggie patty.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would never have thought that!

I have never in my life been to a Taco Bell. The first time I heard of it, I was visiting friends on Colorado back in the late 70s. Not long after, they started to appear in New Jersey, too. Not having grown up with any Mexican around, I was never tempted to go there. It was years later before I tried a few things, like tacos, but only had them made at home.

Now that I don't eat meat, I learned about Mexican-ish places like Chipotle where I can get a quick rice-and-beans dinner. There's a Taco Bell not far from me. I might just try the thing you described.

It's surprising where you can get good veg food sometimes. I was in Canada last month, and wanted to find food close to my hotel. I started Googling the nearby chain restaurants, and there is one, a BBQ place called Montana's, obviously meat-heavy. I thought they might have a good salad or even some fish, which I eat occasionally. Turned out they had one of the very best veggie burgers I have ever eaten. It wouldn't work for vegans because it has feta cheese, although I suppose you could ask them to leave it off. But it was so damn good I kept checking to make sure it was really a veggie patty.
Taco Bell is better than it used to be, IMO. It's always been the joke...it's drunk food, etc. but honestly, I like the fact that I know I can grab a bite while out and about.

Yes, some places do surprise you! White Castle actually has veggie burgers, even! Not that I would go out of my way for that, but it's nice to know in a pinch.

Chipotle also has tofu as an option. I actually find Mexican to be one of the easiest places to eat veggie as they always have rice and beans (assuming no lard or chicken stock is included in the cooking process.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:

I want to know the location of a Burgher King that serves non-dairy pancakes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food