Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

BTW, you are never too old to change your eating habits. Try watching some of Dr. Joel Fuhrman's YouTube videos for motivation.

Eating Healthy to Achieve a Great Vital Life - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM

18,018 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Good stuff. His nutrition chart is the bases of my current diet.

But what about homocystine levels and insufficient B12 levels? Severe irreversible brain damage.

Evidently, the way to raise your omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is to eat oily fish such as sardines and such, or even better ... ground flax seeds.

How do we get B12? You can't get too much, but you will waste it if you do. Supplements are one method. B12 fortified foods twice a day, separated by 6 hours will do. You may be eating foods which have this B12, but is it enough for optimal health?

Why all this concern? I just watched a vid piggybacked onto Furman's vid. That vid is here.

Add: the jury is out on flax seed for men, with perhaps chia seed being a better alternative?

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-03-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
There's a lot of reasons to avoid the dairy and eggs. On the health tip, dairy tends to be a big producer of mucus in the body which can cause some really bad stuff (anything ending in "-itis" for instance, is largely a result of excess mucus). Eggs like meat, are high in cholesterol and saturated fat which can impair blood flow and cause all sorts of problems (. Then there's just common sense...why are adult humans drinking the milk designed exclusively for the infants of cows and goats? Or the fertilized (or unfertilized) eggs of a chicken? And lastly and more importantly is the animal cruelty factor. Male newborn chickens being killed at birth because they can't produce eggs (and are considered useless to the farmers) and female cows injected with synthetic growth hormone to fatten her udders for faster milk production. So yea...lots of reasons to avoid the stuff.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah18 View Post
Huh? Not at all. I don't know any vegan who is under the illusion that it's even possible to exist without being the cause of some form of suffering. But trying to minimize that suffering and not consuming animals is in no way a burden. It's actually quite liberating. I think maintaining a level of cognitive dissonance that is required to justify consuming them, while pretending it's humane would be far more burdensome.
Gave you a rep. Very good points. A lot of SAD eaters aggressively try to avoid dealing with the "animal cruelty" aspect of their lifestyle.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Ever seen a battery cage?

A milk facility?

I don't agree that cage-free means the birds still suffer, though. Look for Certified Humane, which means the hens have room to move about, engage in natural behaviors, and a life free from brutality. However, the fact remains that only hens lay eggs, so roosters die.

As for milk and milk products, I really don't know of any cow's milk that is Certified Humane, but I could be wrong. I'm only familiar with goat's milk that is Certified Humane.

I do still eat eggs (Pete and Gerry's, occasionally Nellie's if the grocery is out of Pete and Gerry's, both are Certified Humane), and I rarely will buy milk, where the best I can do is organic. I wish there was a decent cheese substitute, but I've yet to find one that doesn't make me gag.

Osteoporosis also runs in my family, so I need to get calcium from somewhere, and what there is in plants isn't enough. It's a decision that weighs on my conscience, but with kidney stones running in my family, getting calcium from a pill isn't the wisest move for me.

And no, I don't want to hear any judgments from vegans, so kindly do refrain. I do the best I can.
Lactose intolerant people aren't falling over everywhere breaking their bones. Calcium is easily gotten from other sources.

I agree with you about finding a decent cheese substitute. Yuk!

Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

But what about homocystine levels and insufficient B12 levels? Severe irreversible brain damage.

Evidently, the way to raise your omega 3 to omega 6 ratio is to eat oily fish such as sardines and such, or even better ... ground flax seeds.

How do we get B12? You can't get too much, but you will waste it if you do. Supplements are one method. B12 fortified foods twice a day, separated by 6 hours will do. You may be eating foods which have this B12, but is it enough for optimal health?

Why all this concern? I just watched a vid piggybacked onto Furman's vid. That vid is
here.

Add: the jury is out on flax seed for men, with perhaps chia seed being a better alternative?
Me, I take a daily B100 complex pill. And I guess I'm not a true vegetarian/vegan, but a vegan who eats fish once or twice a weak. That makes me a pescatarian, if you want a label. But as I believe in what Dr. Fuhrman says, I'm also a nutrientarian...this does get complicated.

Having gotten salmonella from a bad egg, I've not wanted one since.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Why all this concern? I just watched a vid piggybacked onto Furman's vid. That vid is here.

I'm glad you liked the video and I hope that more people watch it and Dr. Greger's. As you know, Dr. Greger states that ground flax seed (not the oil which can easily become rancid and is not good in cooking)is the single best source of Omega 3.

Still, as you said, the jury is out regarding flex seed and any possible adverse effects in men.

Hempseed may be another option, but the authors of this study believe that while it has the potential for a beneficial effect against heart disease, more reseacrh is needed before final conclusions can be drawn:
The cardiac and haemostatic effects of dietary hempseed

The data discussed above supports the hypothesis that hempseed has the potential to beneficially influence heart disease. A mix of legal issues and misunderstandings has slowed research progress in this area but enough data presently exists to argue strongly for the continued investigation into the therapeutic efficacy of dietary hempseed. There remain many questions regarding the cardiovascular effects of hempseed that demand scientific answers in order to definitively establish this food as a preventive or therapeutic dietary intervention.

Quote:
I take a weekly sublingual B12 supplement. One problem with relying upon vitamin fortified cereals is that, if you recall, many contain inflammatory causing cottonseed and corn oils.

In fact, Dr. Greger that since many vegans and vegetarians, in an effort to avoid animal products, consume large amounts of processed foods containing these oils, such as certain cereals and many breads and other products, and they actually end up taking in too much Omega 6.

40 Year Vegan Dies of a Heart Attack! Why? The Omega-3 and B12 Myth with Dr. Michael Greger - YouTube

Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
where, and what there is in plants isn't enough. It's a decision that weighs on my conscience, but with kidney stones running in my family, getting calcium from a pill isn't the wisest move for me.
Not enough in plants? Plants are the best source of calcium, in particular leafy greens that are low in oxalate (e.g., kale, collard greens, etc). Not only do these contain a lot of calcium, but the calcium is absorbed at a rate that is ~50% higher than dairy.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
If you're eating primarily whole foods your omega-3/omega-6 ratio will be reasonable. If you use cooking oil, switching to canola and olive oil will improve your ratio as well. You don't need to eat flax seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
In fact, Dr. Greger that since many vegans and vegetarians, in an effort to avoid animal products, consume large amounts of processed foods containing these oils, such as certain cereals and many breads and other products, and they actually end up taking in too much Omega 6.
Cereals usually don't contain large amounts of oils and its not difficult to find ones that contain very little, for example, plain cheerios. Non-dairy milks, which have no oils, are another source of B12.

Quote:
So what about cholesterol? Do we need it? The brain is made of it. Maybe we need some form of it. I thought that coconut oil I bought had it, but no.
Yes you need cholesterol, but your body creates all the cholesterol you need. We have no dietary need for cholesterol.

Quote:
The book talks about how grain, carbs, and even too much of certain kinds of fruit can be creating what the author calls Type-3 diabetes ... or eventually dementia or even Alzheimer's.
Alzheimers and other forms of dementia are rare in South India.....when the majority of people consume high carbohydrate grain heavy vegetarian diets. There goes that idea.....

Old 01-09-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Cereals usually don't contain large amounts of oils and its not difficult to find ones that contain very little, for example, plain cheerios. Non-dairy milks, which have no oils, are another source of B12.
I notice you went through multiple posts; I guess just to correct us, be argumentative and show your "superior knowledge " of the topic at hand ???

The fact remains that many cereals, breads and other processed foods are a significant source of unhealthy oils; and these oils don't have to be large in weight in order to be destructive:

Inflammation and the omega 3 omega 6 fatty acid balance | omega6.wellwise.org

BTW, I never said that all cereals were bad; and yes,it is true that non-fairy milks provide B-12 due to supplementation.

Way to turn this forum into another C-D place to avoid. I swear, some posters (not saying who, but if the shoe fits...) are like cancers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food