Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 AM

321 posts, read 922,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
Not being anymore or having never been a vegetarian, does anyone buy vegetarian foods ie.. morning star, soy or tofu based products..? I still buy all of that stuff and LOVE it!
My husband is Mr Carnivore but even he likes the Boca Burgers when they are dressed up with some worcestershire sauce, bulkie roll, tomato slice, lettuce, cheese & ketchup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 AM

979 posts, read 3,834,549 times
I also love when restaurants offer bean patties to substitute hamburger patties. I'll take a bean burger over a normal burger any day!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,219,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way. I'm not asking this to instigate an argument. This is honestly something I'm trying to understand. If eating chicken, turkey, beef, pork, etc. isn't ok how is fish or shellfish different? I know I'm missing something.

Denverian, do you know the legalities of labeling eggs free range? If they birds are being factory farmed they're probably not going out. The only legal requirement for "free range" is a door to the outside. The poor birds don't have to have ever see blue sky, green grass or even black parking lot. At least they're not in battery cages, but it's still not good enough if they aren't being raised on the ground the way chickens are meant to live.
At this local co op I used to go to people were concerned about that so they went and took a bunch of pictures of the farm. Those birds really were free range and they had an indoor area with tons of space to hang out and something that looked like couches that chickens seemed to like and outside space. The pictures were so cute. You can probably find out where they come from and check out the farm.

I eat cruelty free meat occasionally, I think about what would be natural for a human before civilization and I figured a human and I figure they could maybe get a little meat once or twice a month. I'm not at my healthiest meat free, I work in natural medicine and it just isn't ideal for everyone, but most people eat too much meat.

I love tofu and meat substitutes veggie dogs, chicken strips, ham and this BBQ stuff I can't find anymore. They don't taste anything like meat, better usually.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 7,922,117 times
I've been a vegetarian for close to 20 years. My daughter (12) has been a vegetarian since birth...never had meat and has no desire. My husband is not one, but he only eats meat on business trips when he is around us he refrains (not that he has to, its his choice)

Why don't I eat meat? Because eating flesh is repulsive to me, I wouldn't eat dog, cat, or human flesh so why would I eat a cow's or chicken's flesh?
It all started when I was about 14 and saw a Dateline special on the cruelty of animals in factories. They showed a cow carcass fall to the ground and then get picked up and put back on the conveyor belt. It was so vivid I can still picture it today, and soon after that I stopped eating meat.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 AM

44 posts, read 155,091 times
After visiting my mother who started a vegan type diet (about a year ago) and the fact that my college age daughters are both vegetarians, my wife and I were thinking this would be a healthy choice to make. Then the big meat recall in the news made us look into the way animals are treated in factory farms. It was like in the movie The Matrix when Nero sees the real world. It opened our eyes to the horrible way animals are abused and killed for our consumption. From that point on we have begun a vegan diet. I have even lost wight, and feel 100% better physically and mentally.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,970,463 times
My 14 yr old daughter informed us 2 days ago that she is now a vegetarian. DH and I are supportive - its her body - her choice what kind of food she eats (as long as its not chips and ice cream all day) so - what do I feed her now for protein? She just doesn't want to eat meat because of animal cruelty. I don't know if its going to last ...but ... I'll get her what she is going to need. So if you guys could give me some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,874,182 times
I have been a vegetarian since the 60's. If people ask me why, I tell them to think of any of the reasons they have heard to not eat meat and those will probably apply to me.

Generally there are three categories of reasons not to eat meat.

Physical: This category includes all the reasons that meat is unhealthy for the body and the environment.

Emotional: This has to do with the pain and suffering caused to animals.

Spiritual: This category has to do with the awareness that all creatures are brothers and share same Universal Life Force.

I stopped eating meat for very physical/material reasons. It was to support a boycott of price fixing in our local pork industry. As I continued on my life journey, I evolved and my knowledge expanded to other levels of awareness.

So, if someone asks me if I don't eat meat because of the industrial production of commercial meat products, I answer "yes".

If they ask me if I don't eat meat because I feel that all animals are my brothers and I have no right to eat them, I also answer "yes".

Any reason in between those positions also gets a "yes". I have heard many weird reasons to be a vegetarian, but all of them always had some kernel of truth that would resonate with me and allow me to say "yes, I believe that."

Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 AM

44 posts, read 155,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have been a vegetarian since the 60's. If people ask me why, I tell them to think of any of the reasons they have heard to not eat meat and those will probably apply to me.

Generally there are three categories of reasons not to eat meat.

Physical: This category includes all the reasons that meat is unhealthy for the body and the environment.

Emotional: This has to do with the pain and suffering caused to animals.

Spiritual: This category has to do with the awareness that all creatures are brothers and share same Universal Life Force.
That is a great outlook. I'll remember that when friends and family start to find out that I don't eat meat and start asking why?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 AM

979 posts, read 3,834,549 times
Buy all the Morning Star products if you'd like. They on the expensive side though. It's a whole line vegetarian food. Just make sures she's getting all the nutrients she needs that fish and meat provide. Has she given up seafood too?
Try these sites to learn a new diet for her:
Tips for Becoming a Vegetarian: Enjoy Vegan Alternatives and Substitutes | ChooseVeg.com

Ugh.... seeing those videos on that site makes me want to become vegetarian again. I think I might switch back.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,774,494 times
The thing you have to watch out about with the prepackaged "vegetarian" foods are that a lot of the time they're absolutely LOADED with sodium, sugar, and fats in order to make them taste better. Just because something says "vegetarian" on the label does not mean that it's in any way healthful for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food