Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM

979 posts, read 3,830,860 times

Advertisements

True. Thanks for the warning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,963,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
Buy all the Morning Star products if you'd like. They on the expensive side though. It's a whole line vegetarian food. Just make sures she's getting all the nutrients she needs that fish and meat provide. Has she given up seafood too?
Try these sites to learn a new diet for her:
Tips for Becoming a Vegetarian: Enjoy Vegan Alternatives and Substitutes | ChooseVeg.com

Ugh.... seeing those videos on that site makes me want to become vegetarian again. I think I might switch back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
The thing you have to watch out about with the prepackaged "vegetarian" foods are that a lot of the time they're absolutely LOADED with sodium, sugar, and fats in order to make them taste better. Just because something says "vegetarian" on the label does not mean that it's in any way healthful for you.
Thank you!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,848,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post

Just because something says "vegetarian" on the label does not mean that it's in any way healthful for you.
That's certainly true. It just means that it doesn't contain meat.

A large order of fries and a shake from McDonalds is a "vegetarian meal".

Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM

All great points! I am usually one to check nutrition facts just so I know what and how much of it I am putting into my body but I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever checked the veggie stuff other than to satisfy my curiosity of seeing what they made it out of.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,763,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
That's certainly true. It just means that it doesn't contain meat.

A large order of fries and a shake from McDonalds is a "vegetarian meal".
Yep! lol...

But they can taste gooooood (okay, maybe not from McDonalds...but shakes and fries can be good)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 AM

321 posts, read 921,520 times
nic529 - how vegetarian is she going? No dairy too? Just make sure she gets her protein from somewhere. Eating grainy breads, wheat pasta, bean & rice dishes. Tofu is a great source of good stuff - throw it in anything and it assumes the flavor of what you make. I toss it on pizza with some veggies - really great and even my husband the carnivore eats it . Good warnings on the veggie burgers from others above. I like the "Boca Burgers" but don't eat too often. Get her to take a multi vitamin too to make sure she's getting all her growing body needs. Chocolate soy milk is super yummy!!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Well actually speaking of vegetarians and fats food, i mean fast food restaurants....

when I was younger and a vegetarian (my goodness I wish there was a shortcut to that word)...
I used to go to Burger King at lunch and order the Whopper w/ out the meat. It was soooooo good. This was before they started coming out with the veggie burgers and stuff at those establishments.

It was all the toppings; cheese, mayo ketchup, mustard, blah blah blah but just take out the patty. I even got my meat eating friends to switch to our way of eating it.

Not the healthiest or even healthy-er thing to eat but I was lovin' every minute of it.

Anyone ever do that? Probably not but speaking on a whim, here...

Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
nic529 - Tofu is a great source of good stuff - throw it in anything and it assumes the flavor of what you make.
mmmmm tofu. I used to fry that up with the smallest tinge of those chicken seasoning packets that come from Ramen noodles and just eat it up with my fingers. Is that gross? It was yummy though.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,848,019 times
Our favorite way of cooking tofu is to cut it in cubes about 3/4 and fry it.

Sometimes we will shake it in flour and spices like you might do fish or chicken, or sometimes just plain and add spices while it's frying. I like to sprinkle soy sauce on it while it cooks, or maybe cajun or creole spices.

Fried sweet and sour tofu is great, so is fried tofu in barbecue sauce, or fried tofu in sweet chili sauce.

Sometime we make a tarter sauce or a hot sauce to dip it in.

Of course we add it to stir fry also, but I like to fry it first to give it a little more flavor and to help it hold together in the stir fry.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Our favorite way of cooking tofu is to cut it in cubes about 3/4 and fry it.

Sometimes we will shake it in flour and spices like you might do fish or chicken, or sometimes just plain and add spices while it's frying. I like to sprinkle soy sauce on it while it cooks, or maybe cajun or creole spices.
oh gosh.... yummy yummy yummy. Haven't tried flour yet but you can be sure I will next time!

Quote:
Fried sweet and sour tofu is great, so is fried tofu in barbecue sauce, or fried tofu in sweet chili sauce. .
These are interesting. So it's the cubes fried up and then smothred in these diff sauces?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food