Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post

So it's the cubes fried up and then smothred in these diff sauces?
Yes. I usually fry the cubes a bit to make them firm and give them a skin, then add the sauce and cook it a while longer to let the flavor penetrate.

The texture and firmness of the tofu cubes depends on how long and how hot you cook them. You can make them soft like you usually think of tofu, or fried kind of firm with more of a chewy texture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 PM

321 posts, read 921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Our favorite way of cooking tofu is to cut it in cubes about 3/4 and fry it.

Sometimes we will shake it in flour and spices .
Never thought of flour - good idea! I like frying firm tofu up, making a nice peanut sauce, tossing with some ramen noodles - tasty Pad Thai!

Not exactly a healthy option but has anyone deep fried tofu?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,961,558 times
Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate it. I don't know how far she'll take it...it just came up the other day - and unfortunately a friend of her was killed in a fire yesterday, so we didn't end up talking about food. Brave kid - he got out of the house and then ran back in to save his mother. He was 14. Mom died too.

Anyway - I will be taking all the things you have all told me into consideration. Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
...has anyone deep fried tofu?
Yes. I have deep fried it and it's great that way, but for the effort, the oil used, and the extra calories, I prefer to pan fry it.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,908,018 times
Speaking of tofu, I make a variation of bbq chicken pizza (which I have never actually had the chicken version but I love bbq sauce)

Anyway, purchase a premade pizza crust or dough and prepare. I prefer whole wheat. Saute tofu. Spread layer of bbq sauce on pizza crust like you would tomoto sauce. Add tofu, onions, corn and cheddar (and if you are like my daughter and obsessed with black olives, a can of those as well) Then bake 10-15 min. Love it!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:03 PM

335 posts, read 1,534,476 times
I love vegetables.

I love salads, fresh buttered beets, potatoes, squash, green beans, salads, artichokes.

I love them all!

Carrot

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,455,638 times
While I am not a vegetarian, I do eat very little meat. Sometimes, the thought of eating *flesh* just gets to me, but in all honesty, I really love fruits and vegetables, grains and beans, and tofu, too.

Now, hubby is a bonafide carnivore. I cannot afford to keep him in good quality cuts of meat, so, occasionally (when I can stomach it) we'll go to some place like Golden Corral, where he can eat meat to his little heart's content.

I always threaten to sit across the restaurant at another table.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,446,192 times
Great thread! I have been a vegetarian for about 24 years now. Even as a kid meat appeared "gross" to me, for a lack of a better word. Sometime I felt physically repulsed by it and had to force it down somehow. Just thinking about eating a rotting animal carcass, ugh. Gross. So, I do it because I just don't want to eat animals, it's bad for the environment and I believe it is better for my health. And lastly, I LOVE the food, there is so much great veggie food, my favorites are indian and middle eastern cuisine has many vegetarian recipes.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-13-2008, 06:06 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was wondering why other people are vegetarians. It seems like I meet more vegetarians all the time, but then when some people find out about me, they react like I told them I eat dirt and glass.

But my reason is that I've always been grossed out by it. Blood and guts grosses me out (especially my own!) and the thought of eating something that was alive with blood running through its veins makes me want to vomit. Then recently seeing on the news that sick cow being shoved by a fork lift into slaughter just makes me sick. I know animals naturally eat other animals and keep populations in check, but I'm healthy without eating meat and it's not necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
I have read a great deal about factory farming and the way they treat the animals. It is literally sickening. . people are supposed to use their brains, its isnt like we need meat to survive these days. IMO its immoral.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:40 AM

150 posts, read 726,246 times
"Meat" really grosses me out, especially beef. With all the news out there these days, the less I eat any meat the better I feel. Chicken has gotten just as bad.

Thank heavens for Boca products!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food