Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,676,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post

Poor Animals! How jealously their guard their pathetic bodies...that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself.
T Casey Brennan
That's a great quote! The singer Moby once said something similar that resonates with me:

"Could you look an animal in the eyes and say to it, 'My appetite is more important than your suffering'?"

That really brings it home for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,194,464 times
I wanted to become a vegetarian for several years because every time I would eat meat I would think about what it was that I was eating and be a bit sad.

One day at work, I talked to a couple of other therapists who are vegetarians that I would want their help one day when I make the decision. I wasn't thinking about actually doing it then, but one day. Well, the next day they lent me their copy of Skinny *****. That night I read it and through the sobs I stopped eating animals. That was about 1 1/2 yrs ago and I am SO HAPPY about my decision. I feel so much more content with that area of my life.

The first few months I would crave meat, but I made sure I had enough protein intake and the cravings would go away. I had a couple of times when I ate something like chicken, but it never tasted good like it used to.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,853,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
One day at work, I talked to a couple of other therapists who are vegetarians that I would want their help one day when I make the decision. I wasn't thinking about actually doing it then, but one day. Well, the next day they lent me their copy of Skinny *****. That night I read it and through the sobs I stopped eating animals. That was about 1 1/2 yrs ago and I am SO HAPPY about my decision. I feel so much more content with that area of my life.
That book really got to me, too! It was very convincing...

Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,460,237 times
A great movie to watch about how "farm animals" are treated is the peacable kingdom. And from others I have seen, this one is pretty mild....

I look at my cats and think, would I think it is ok to kill them and eat them? I don't. So why would I think it is ok to kill any other animal just to eat it when I could be eating something else. They all feel pain and want to live. If people do it because they have to for survival, that is one thing, but I certainly have plenty of other choices.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,676,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
A great movie to watch about how "farm animals" are treated is the peacable kingdom. And from others I have seen, this one is pretty mild....

I look at my cats and think, would I think it is ok to kill them and eat them? I don't. So why would I think it is ok to kill any other animal just to eat it when I could be eating something else. They all feel pain and want to live. If people do it because they have to for survival, that is one thing, but I certainly have plenty of other choices.
Yep! As a favorite bumper sticker of mine says, "If you love animals called pets, why do you eat animals called dinner?" Anyone who stops to reflect on that is in for a huge shock.

It's just amazing to me how we, as a meat-eating society, have such a disconnect between that neatly packaged little piece of meat in the supermarket and the cow that was happily grazing in the pasture a few weeks before.

I haven't seen "Peaceable Kingdom," but if it's anything like "The Witness," I'm sure it's both graphic, eye-opening, and heart-wrenching. A friend of my wife's family started Tribe of Heart and makes those videos. I don't see how anyone who views them could ever look at an animal ever again as food, or clothing, or entertainment, or anything else but another living being with feelings that just wants to live ... and will fight just as hard to keep living as you and I do.

Enjoy your rec point.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:54 AM

47 posts, read 155,618 times
I decided to become a vegetarian because of my health and my acne. I am 30 years old yet I break out once in a while like I'm 16! I don't like using all different kinds of medicines on my skin because I have severe allergy reactions.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM

268 posts, read 1,616,094 times
I wanted to be treated special at dinner parties.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,194,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
That book really got to me, too! It was very convincing...
Yeah, it had made one of the therapists into a vegetarian as soon as she read it. The book has been passed around to others, but I don't think anyone else took it heart as we did.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM

50 posts, read 186,171 times
I think the more spiritual we become (I'm not talking "church going" here), the more natural it becomes for us to change to a plant-based diet. Somehow we're "led" to it.

I can't consider myself a vegan, though -- only because I do wear leather shoes and occasionally put a little honey in my (cooked) whole-grain breakfast cereal. But yes, I do abstain from eating animal foods. To me, they're all precious critters.

No health problems at all -- never take prescription or other drugs other than a v-e-r-y rare aspirin. Haven't had a cold since...let me think. Must have been 9 or 10 years ago, at least.

By the way, I loved "Skinny B*t*h." I skipped the sections about animal torture (it's like preaching to the choir, in my case). What I did read, was informative and hilarious.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,765,213 times
When I was in my early twenties, I noticed that eating meat would cause me to feel off--rather like I was carrying a stone around in my gut. It didn't matter if it was beef or chicken. The feeling would persist for a full day after the meal. Since I didn't eat that much meat anyway, I decided to stop eating it completely and see how I felt. I bought Diet for a Small Planet and Recipes for a Small Planet, learned to combine foods for complete protein and never looked back. In the midst of learning about my diet, I also learned about the meat industry. That was the end of any meat cravings as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food