Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Been meat free for 9 days. I had my "head in the sand" for my entire adult life and ate meat without abandon. I love beef - ALOT. But then I visited the website of a company called Maple Leaf Food. They are a potential client of the firm I work for. Within their website they had an article on how pressure from PETA caused them to revamp their factory pig farming practices; particularly a practice for gestating female pigs. I clicked the link and was taken to a horrific video and that was it for me. I then decided to take the PETA "30 Day Pledge" and it's going fine. I have had pets my entire life and love animals and to me, animals are animals. Dogs and cats don't prevail over pigs and cows. That video was it for me. And I'm eating better and spending less money and helping the environment and taking my own little stand.

Congratulations! It only gets better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,120 times
Was the video by chance, meet your meat?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
As usual, I'm late to the party, but ....And even as a child, if I thought about where that piece of meat came from, it would be extremely difficult for me to eat it...finally, I asked myself -- "If I'm this uncomfortable eating meat, WHY am I eating it?"...and never looked back.
Same here. You're not the only one who was late to the party (I think you meant the thread ~ )...I was late to the party in giving up meat. I felt the same as you throughout my whole life...it's easy to ignore where your food comes from when it's all processed and packaged for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Girl View Post
It's great to see this sub-forum! ... one night my husband was watching that show with Ted Nugent(ick!) and he said..something like "you're a hypocrite if you eat meat but you have hired assassins do the killing for you." ...if I couldn't kill it myself, then I shouldn't be eating it.

We should all agree not respond to any trolls on this forum because I know this a subject ripe for trolls.
Nugent is a vicious, publicity-seeking buffoon. You're too kind, Tiki Girl, calling him smarmy. He promotes the hunting of "wild, big game" who have become accustomed to people, who have spent their lives in captivity and have been fed drugs to keep them somewhat docile. What a man...

I know I could kill an animal, and have done so in another life, but I chose a long time ago to not kill another sentient being for pleasure or sport.

I am extremely impressed with those who chose a vege life when they were very young. Look at some of the troll-like responses/threads this subforum has engendered. Hard to imagine how much more difficult it was to be a vegan 20+ years ago~

Old 10-15-2008, 02:13 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hard to imagine how much more difficult it was to be a vegan 20+ years ago~
I live in the suburbs of Texas - it is still difficult!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I live in the suburbs of Texas - it is still difficult!
Sorry, Topaz. I hope this sub-forum helps a little. Most of the people on here are more than willing to help out, if needed. I know it's easier if you have like-minded folk around you, and live in a place where differences of opinion are valued, or tolerated. Keep doing what you think is right and honest ~

PS: Poor girl, you need some cranberry white wheat vegan cookies! I'm eating them now - fabulous!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Sorry, Topaz. I hope this sub-forum helps a little. Most of the people on here are more than willing to help out, if needed. I know it's easier if you have like-minded folk around you, and live in a place where differences of opinion are valued, or tolerated. Keep doing what you think is right and honest ~

PS: Poor girl, you need some cranberry white wheat vegan cookies! I'm eating them now - fabulous!!!
Good post,I liked it .

Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 PM

102 posts, read 350,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

Alright!! I get to start the first thread in our Veggie Forum. I'd just like to thank Administrator for finding a spot for us and also the Veggie people who promoted this.

I was curious as to what made everyone become vegetarian. For me~I grew up on a farm and still have nightmares about awful things that were done to animals. At that time, I was horrified but thought that is the way life HAS to be in order for humans to survive. I won't go into detail right now, but it was gruesome. Then when I was in the third grade, our skip day was at Morrells. Another nightmare.

What made you decide on this lifestyle?
I became a vegetarian because one of my favorite comic strips(Get Fuzzy) has a character who is a vegetarian.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
As usual, I'm late to the party, but .....

As a child, my parents served every conceivable kind (and piece) of meat, every night. And even as a child, if I thought about where that piece of meat came from, it would be extremely difficult for me to eat it.

This difficulty continued into adulthood until, finally, I asked myself -- "If I'm this uncomfortable eating meat, WHY am I eating it?"

I stopped cold turkey (if you'll pardon the expression ) more than 20 years ago, and never looked back.

Exactly how it was for me... My parents made me eat that meat on my plate, time and time again I would chew and chew and chew... Forever it seemed, till the meat turned stringy and white dry and well, sorry you get it. I just could Not swallow it. YUK! I tried to hide it in a napkin, go to the bathroom and spit it in the toilet, you name it. I bothered me too, as a kid and into adulthood. But it wasn't til I was about 21 til I became veggie.

And then I stopped! Just So glad I did! And happy to know that there are others "like me", same views and lifestyle other than everyone around me at work, etc that just ask... Why again and again. When really I think Most of them don't really want to hear why. And I can't just make it a "short and sweet" answer to that question...!

SeeBee, I want some of those cookies... Did you make em?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 AM

275 posts, read 687,002 times
i became a vegan because i believe that natural grown food/occuring plants are better ideal for our dietery intake in our bodies than walking and creeping animals, that are served as pieces of a carcass in a plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food