Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:29 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
We don't have Trader Joe's in Texas.
Sorry 'bout that! I have no idea who their suppliers are, so don't know of a comparable brand. The whole Trader Joe's thing is that their food isn't so overprocessed. PLUS, and a big plus IMO, is that shoppers are not bombarded with advertising; no special discounts, no clubs to belong to in order to get a fair deal. Markup is minimal compared to major chain stores. Portland has four stores, I believe.

And a lot of the breads and other items are locally grown and produced. The freshest items come from Washington or Oregon. I would imagine that's the same for all their stores.

Don't you have a similar store close to you? I don't know where Sugarland is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Rice milk is very easy to make, and much cheaper than buying it. There are many recipes on the web and it's very much a matter of personal taste, but here's how I make it:

1 c hot brown rice
3 c hot water
handful cashews
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
2 tbsp honey

Blend all ingredients, chill and serve.

A lot of other recipes call for straining a mixture of ingredients through cheesecloth --- if you do it like that, you're left with cooked/dried/smooshed-up rice kernels --- which are great as a base for hot breakfast or stirred into soup or chili.
This sounds great, thanks for the recipe! It never crossed my mind to make it myself! Much too used to convenience....

Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Sorry 'bout that! I have no idea who their suppliers are, so don't know of a comparable brand. The whole Trader Joe's thing is that their food isn't so overprocessed. PLUS, and a big plus IMO, is that shoppers are not bombarded with advertising; no special discounts, no clubs to belong to in order to get a fair deal. Markup is minimal compared to major chain stores. Portland has four stores, I believe.

And a lot of the breads and other items are locally grown and produced. The freshest items come from Washington or Oregon. I would imagine that's the same for all their stores.

Don't you have a similar store close to you? I don't know where Sugarland is...
Sugar Land is near Houston, TX. I love Trader Joe's and so do many other Texans who moved here from other places. If we could camp out at Trader Joe's until they agreed to open a store here, we would!

We have Whole Foods Market but their niche is a bit different (and pricier!).

I also miss Food Fight Grocery in Portland. I've never seen anything else like it. It is next to the most awesome vegan bakery: Sweet Pea Baking Company.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,106,688 times
Good news...My husband bought me the Rice Dream enriched milk. I used it today in my cereal and I liked it.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,497,841 times
I have a SoyaJoy machine.

It can make soy, almond, rice (white or brown), hemp, whatever seeds you want to make milk from.

It makes it for about .30 per quart. Overall it has saved me a bundle.

I also got the extra parts to make my own tofu.

Dawn

Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
...I also miss Food Fight Grocery in Portland. I've never seen anything else like it. It is next to the most awesome vegan bakery: Sweet Pea Baking Company.
I've been to Food Fight before they opened the mall. Bit of a young crowd for me, but I did find some great cookbooks there. I was told that it was the first all-vegan grocery store in the world. That's pretty darned impressive.

I loved Sweet Pea's cakes and cupcakes! I say loved, because New Season's raised the prices to $4.50 for a slice of cake, and $2.50 for a cupcake. Way too much for me to justify spending on sweets. Great stuff though - no one would even have a clue that Sweet Pea's stuff is all vegan! Delicious! ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

It can make soy, almond, rice (white or brown), hemp, whatever seeds you want to make milk from.

Dawn
Never heard of a SoyaJoy machine before. I must check that one out...it will save a huge amount of money vs buying milk in a grocery store. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,588 times
Default Hemp milk doesn't go with acidic drinks

I LOVE hemp milk, but only not mixing with others. I found hemp milk especially can't mix with acidic drinks, e,g, coffee and matcha tea. It curdles up in the coffee as soon as I mix hemp milk in.
So I was wondering what kind of hemp milk you guys are drinking, because I see some of you have no problem of mixing it with coffee.
Thanks,
Jane

Old 09-28-2008, 05:00 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,051,441 times
Rice Dream Enriched Vanilla is what I use in cereal and Chocolate Almond Breeze in my morning coffee !

Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,375,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

Dawn
Is it actually possible to buy the hemp for this purpose? Yes, I agree, it is cheaper to do it this way, it just takes time.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Is it actually possible to buy the hemp for this purpose? Yes, I agree, it is cheaper to do it this way, it just takes time.
Yes, it's possible, but hemp seeds are extremely expensive here in the US. Maybe making your own hempmilk is not cost effective - ?

Found this great recipe for making your own almond or rice milk. There's no special-purchase machine needed, and since rice and almonds can be kept for great lengths of time, it's a perfect recipe to have if you are into substinence living (off-grid/self-sufficient, I mean), either by design or natural disaster!

"For almond milk:

Soak a cup of raw almonds for several hours until soft. Four hours is a good start.
  1. Use a blender or other mixer to blend softened almonds with several (about 4) cups of clean water until you like the consistency.
  2. Optional flavors can be cinnamon, vanilla, unsweetened undutched cocoa, nutmeg, small fresh piece of ginger root, fresh berries, and others.
For rice milk, throw cooked rice in a blender or bowl and mash with water until the consistency you want. Flavor as above."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food