Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:35 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Boy-oh-boy...... I really MISS eating ice cream and cheese
These are the ice creams I've found, and tried: Trader Joe's brand (chocolate, and orange/vanilla), So Delicious (chocolate, vanilla, raspberry, cherry, peanut/chocolate - my fav!) - So Delicious have a couple of kinds which do not have soy (I believe). Have you tried any of those?

Gotta go with you on the missing cheese part - love cheese too much!

katzenfreund - Yes, hemp milk is very expensive. The cheapest I've found is at a food cooperative, where the price is $3.40ish for members. (Although you can order a case from them). I suppose one could make it themselves, but I imagine the seeds themselves are fairly difficult to get here (in US).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 03:01 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,373,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I was told to lay off the soy milk and soy products after my thyroid stopped functioning. Something in the soy might affect the synthroid, so my doc suggested I be aware of it. I've since stopped using soy milk and use almond milk instead. I also only get tofu as a treat now and then when we get Chinese food for dinner. Otherwise I've found other protein sources for my vegetarian lifestyle.
You may want to watch your iodine levels.

Iodine and the Thyroid

Thyroid and Iodine - Part 1 - Thyroid Problems: Information About Thyroid Disease, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism and Thyroid Disorders on MedicineNet.com

Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,403,143 times

Thanks for the info, however my thyroid issues stemed from my last bout of Lyme Disease (which sucks big time) and was an autoimmune issue. The doc was just warning me that the soy "may" have issue with the meds I was on, so I found it easier to drop the soy milk in favor of rice milk than to really worry too much more about it. I never could stand those fake meat things made with soy, so the milk was pretty much it.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Asian people have been consuming soy "milk" and other soy products (tofu, miso) for about 1000+ years. How much negative evidence has been uncovered over this long period of time? It seems only anti-soy groups have "negative" information.
My chiropractor who is also a naturopath said nearly all the soy used by Asian people has been naturally fermented and that's why it is healthy. The soy used here in the US in products is not fermented. She said that's the big difference and the reason why we should greatly curtail use of soy.

I switched to almond milk and Blue Diamond Original Unsweetened is my favourite. It's confusing, but they also have an Original which is sweetened, which I'm careful to not get, as it is too sweet for my taste.

As someone mentioned earlier, there are amounts of soy in nearly every processed product. Just check the labels. I agree that probably small amounts of unfermented soy are probably not going to be harmful, but it's nearly impossible to know the exact amounts cumulatively.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,969,846 times
I also read that soy and soy milk isn't good for you or your skin. Totally overrated product.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,373,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
My chiropractor who is also a naturopath said nearly all the soy used by Asian people has been naturally fermented and that's why it is healthy. The soy used here in the US in products is not fermented. She said that's the big difference and the reason why we should greatly curtail use of soy.
Not sure why I keep seeing people say that. Tofu, white block type, is not fermented. There are fermented tofu's, but it's obvious because they smell fermented, some are called "stinky" because of how they smell. Soy sauce and miso are fermented, but soy "milk" is not. There are various other kinds of soy foods from Asia besides these.

Western style soy products are mainly processed food items.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,202,950 times
Talking Thank you!

Thank you for your post & links!
I truly appreciate it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The soy industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and they don't really want studies suggesting soy is unhealthy to get out to the American people. I'm allergic to soy, and after doing a lot of research over the issue I want nothing to do with it. Now that I have had to avoid it for nearly 15 years, I can tell you that most packaged foods have soy in them. Americans are unknowingly eating large amounts of soy every day. If it does indeed have health risks, how is that affecting us? It makes one turn green to start looking into it and learning just what possible risks there are to soy. I have a friend with breast cancer whose doctor advised her to avoid soy, and another vegan friend who in her 50's suddenly developed a serious allergy to soy. Now she's turned against the whole idea of soy, too. To be fair I don't think it's entirely the fault of soy itself, but most soybeans in the U.S. have been genetically modified which has all sorts of health hazards. But yes, there are also studies that point to health hazards in soy regardless of whether or not is has been genetically modified.

I just think people should consume soy in moderation, rather than go out of their way to eat primarily a soy diet.

Dangers of soy - Green Living Online

Soy Alert—The Ploy of Soy (http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/ploy.html - broken link)

Book Review: The Hidden Dangers of Soy by Diane Gregg

Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 PM

184 posts, read 676,762 times
I prefer unsweetened almond milk & hemp milk. Generally I think too much of any one thing is most likely not as healthy as variety. I eat enough soy in the form of tofu, miso, tempeh etc.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:52 PM

184 posts, read 676,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I'm lactose intolerant so I don't consume any dairy.

Boy-oh-boy...... I really MISS eating ice cream and cheese
Oh my goodness! Coconut milk makes the most insanely delicious ice cream on earth!!!

Here is my fave brand: Turtle Mountain - Purely Decadent Cherry Nirvana (http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/purely_decadent_Coconut_Milk_Chocolate.html - broken link)
The cookies & cream one is so ridiculously good! I've even have a friend that doesn't like coconuts & loves this one.

Larry & Lunas also make one called coconut bliss. It also seems like it would be fairly simple to make some from organic canned coconut milk as well.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etta View Post
Oh my goodness! Coconut milk makes the most insanely delicious ice cream on earth!!!

Here is my fave brand: Turtle Mountain - Purely Decadent Cherry Nirvana (http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/purely_decadent_Coconut_Milk_Chocolate.html - broken link)
The cookies & cream one is so ridiculously good! I've even have a friend that doesn't like coconuts & loves this one.

Larry & Lunas also make one called coconut bliss. It also seems like it would be fairly simple to make some from organic canned coconut milk as well.
Yum! sounds good, I'll start watching for those brands. Thanks for those recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food