Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:55 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times

Advertisements

I try not to overdo soy consumption but I felt so much better after I cut out all dairy and started using soy products instead, I'm hoping that my body isn't leading me astray.

The most dramatic change is that the monthly pain I used to experience (which was HORRIBLE) is completely gone unless I go back to consuming dairy products some time during the month before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,657 times
i am extemely confused as to whether i should try soy or not.my problem is that cows milk leaves me extremely bloated so im looking for a 'safer' option

Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppp View Post
i am extemely confused as to whether i should try soy or not.my problem is that cows milk leaves me extremely bloated so im looking for a 'safer' option
Neil Barnard just wrote an article on this: Settling the Soy Controversy

I am sure you can find arguments on either side, though, so what I do is just pay attention to my body. I feel MUCH better drinking soy milk instead of cow's milk. I do try to avoid eating soy products at every single meal because I believe too much of anything is bad.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The soy industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and they don't really want studies suggesting soy is unhealthy to get out to the American people.
80% of the soy grown in the world is grown to feed to cattle.

i'm sure the soy industry doesn't want to lose the 20% that is consumed by humans, but it's really not a big part of their business.

meanwhile, the dairy and meat industries are multi-billion dollar ones as well, and they don't want to lose customers. and the soy industry doesn't want to lose them as customers.

personally i drink almond milk because i prefer the taste and the sweetness level to either sweetened or unsweetened soymilk. i do eat tempeh, miso, and tofu pretty regularly though. i'm not too worried about it.

Last edited by groar; 03-03-2010 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
80% of the soy grown in the world is grown to feed to cattle.

i'm sure the soy industry doesn't want to lose the 20% that is consumed by humans, but it's really not a big part of their business.
Even if your claim were true, 20% of $12.5 billion in cash receipts is no small number:

Major Crops Grown in the United States | Ag 101 | Agriculture | US EPA

Soybeans: Approximately 2.8 billion bushels of soybeans were harvested from almost 73 million acres of cropland in the U.S. in 2000. This acreage is roughly equivalent to that of corn grown for grain. Over 350,000 farms in the United States produce soybeans, accounting for over 50% of the world’s soybean production and $6.66 billion in soybean and product exports in 2000. Soybeans represented 56 percent of world oilseed production in 2000.

According to the United Soybean Board, soybean oil, used in both food manufacturing and frying and sautéing, represents approximately 79 percent of all edible oil consumed in the United States...... Over 30 million tons of soybean meal are consumed as livestock feed in a year.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:49 PM

ok, but my point is, the soy industry is much more invested in the dairy industry than they are in soybeans grown for human consumption.

and i'm not sure how the epa numbers show that mine aren't true. those numbers apply to u.s. soybean production only, and don't really give enough information to show what percentage of the soybean crop is grown for human food. how many bushels of soybeans are in a ton? if we had that information, we'd know what percentage of the united states' soybean crop, if not the world's soybean crop, is fed to animals. as it is, you've just said i'm wrong but not said or linked to anything that contradicts what i said.

actually on further investigation, i was sort of wrong - about 80% of soy is fed to cattle, but the rest is not all used as human food.

Information About Soya, Soybeans

About 85 percent of the world’s soybeans are processed, or "crushed," annually into soybean meal and oil. Approximately 98 percent of the soybean meal that is crushed is further processed into animal feed with the balance used to make soy flour and proteins.

Approximately six percent of soybeans are used directly as human food, mostly in Asia.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
I keep finding all sorts of different numbers about what percentage of the soybean is used for human consumption. I did find links that convert bushels to tons, but I don't want to get petty. What I meant was, even if only a fraction of the soybean is used for human consumption, soybeans are the second largest crop grown in the world, so that fraction is still quite high and a big money-maker. Otherwise the soy industry people wouldn't work so hard to promote soy to the American public as a healthy food.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:12 AM

the weight of a bushel varies greatly depending on what you're measuring. i wasn't able to find a weight for soybeans.

i guess there's no way at the moment to prove or disprove a giant conspiracy by the soy industry to hide health problems related to soy consumption. all i can say is, as others have said, some cultures have eaten soy as a major source of protein, fermented and unfermented, for thousands of years without a problem. some people do have allergies, and gmo food is never a good idea, but all in all i think this is another food trend/scare like in the 80s when everyone thought eggs were practically deadly poison. or on the flip side, in the 90s when every supplement had beta carotene, which it turns out is harmful when isolated.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
I doubt it's 'dangerous' at all, unless you OD on it.

I found this Asian store where they make FRESH (!) and organic - no stabilizers or preservatives - soy milk and tofu. It's simply the best soy milk I've ever had, and so completely different than what is normally available to us (i.e. shelf stable products). So, if soy milk is "dangerous", I'll die happy.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppp View Post
It is very possible to be both soy and dairy free. Many times people who cannot tolerate dairy also have trouble with soy. Try rice, almond, coconut, oat or hemp milk. You can substitute butter with coconut oil. There are a lot of great ice cream products made with rice, hemp and coconut milk. Coconut milk yogurt is excellent! As far as cheese substitutes you can make your own with cashew based recipes. Sometimes people who cannot tolerate dairy due to lactose intolerance can tolerate raw milk (in small amounts). Raw milk can be difficult to find but raw cheese can be found in health food stores as well as specialty cheese shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food