Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you date a non vegan/vegetarian?
Yes 23 69.70%
No 3 9.09%
it depends 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:55 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,456,545 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have both been veggie for over 20 years now and if for some reason I would be single again... yes, I would go on a date with a meat eater, but it is not likely I would ever live with a meat eater or be in a long term relationship. It is too important to me and I would not want to live with someone that does not share the same values.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 PM

718 posts, read 2,328,528 times
No offense to anybody but I dont understand all this vegetarian, vegan and 98% vegetarian stuff. I see too many variations and it raises my eyebrow. To me it is either you are or you arent. You are for the animal rights or for eating animals. If these are your values then you stick to them. Right? I would appreciate some enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Dated my husband for 1 year, got engaged for 1 year and have now been married for 2 1/2.

We are both 27. I have been a vegetarian for 15 years and he has now been "mostly 98%" vegetarian for almost 2 years. I think in this calendar year, he has had tuna once and salmon once.

We have also had a vegan home for 4 months.

Things change, people change....

However, for dating - eh - I dated plenty before I met my hubby and none of the guys were vegetarian. As long as they like to share vegetarian appetizers and dont buy me leather shoes as gifts its fine - its just dating. Just dates...

Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,928,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
No offense to anybody but I dont understand all this vegetarian, vegan and 98% vegetarian stuff. I see too many variations and it raises my eyebrow. To me it is either you are or you arent. You are for the animal rights or for eating animals. If these are your values then you stick to them. Right? I would appreciate some enlightenment.
There are a thousand different reasons for being vegan, vegetarian, or even "98%" veggie. It isn't black and white. It simply isn't. And one isn't only either for animal rights or for eating animals--there is overlap there, as well.

Last edited by crazyme4878; 11-14-2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: typos!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:28 AM

275 posts, read 687,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
There are a thousand different reasons for being vegan, vegetarian, or even "98%" veggie. It isn't black and white. It simply isn't. And one isn't only either for animal rights or for eating animals--there is overlap there, as well.
You right, like i didn't become a vegan for animal rights or environmental reasons. i just love the idea of feeling and eating healthy, not to mention animals need a life too, just like i had a dog as a pet some keep piglets as pets as well. on the other hand you have other meat eaters that include dogs, cats and pigs in their diet. i look at an animal as a food in a critical situation( lost in the jungle and haven't eaten for days) but not to be included for my daily diet. it just proves a point that many suffer the consequences of having a shorter life spun than non meat eaters.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,205,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
You right, like i didn't become a vegan for animal rights or environmental reasons. i just love the idea of feeling and eating healthy, not to mention animals need a life too, just like i had a dog as a pet some keep piglets as pets as well ...
From an earlier post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticlilly View Post
No, the moose do not come to play in our sprinklers often. That was the only time and actually we have had clouds and rain regularly since that video was shot in June so we haven't used our sprinkler since nor have we seen that family since that day.

A bit of side info...the reason the sprinkler was on is that we saw that the mother was lying down a lot and panting very hard. My 7 year old son thought she was going to have another baby and I was concerned she was sick, but then we realized she was hot and that was easy to remedy with...the sprinkler
Twin Baby Moose and Sprinkler - Video

Old 11-16-2008, 12:06 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,489,309 times
Sweet video, quietwalker...thanks for posting the link. ~

Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,690,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post

The reason is just because my husband has had tuna and salmon just once in 11 months that does not write off the fact that he has cut down his meat and fish intake from twice a day to twice a year.

It does not write off the fact that he has supported a vegan home both regarding our food choices, cleaning products, laundry products, dog food etc.

He supports our choices in public forums and has educated himself on this new stance.

Even so, this one incident this year when he ate tuna at a family function or ate salmon - at a 5 star restaurant in New Orleans while on a boys weekend earlier this year....

Anyway, those are not my choices, I personally will never eat that again - but its his choice and he is a good man.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,973,935 times
I bet the divorce rate is higher than average for vegetarian/carnivore married couples than it is for people who married their own kind.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,928,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I bet the divorce rate is higher than average for vegetarian/carnivore married couples than it is for people who married their own kind.
Nah, you would be amazed at how many people just drift toward the direction of their spouses eating habits. Now, if someone is a diehard vegan and another can't go a day without eating it...well I can't even see them getting to the first date!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 AM

36 posts, read 172,086 times
I'm a vegetarian, have been for over 30 years now. My husband (we're together for 11 years) is a meat eater. He does not eat as much meat as he used to but still.... When dining out he normally eats meat and sometimes fish but at home he rarely eats meat and never fish. It's all about respecting each other choices. He knows I will never ever cook him a meal containing meat but that's also due to the fact I have no idea how to (can't start tasting it, can I? ).
My previous partner also eat everything, never a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food