Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you date a non vegan/vegetarian?
Yes 23 69.70%
No 3 9.09%
it depends 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:38 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiek View Post
It's all about respecting each other choices.
And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen; in a nutshell, seasonally speaking ~ .

Congratulations on the 30+ years of being a vege. That is impressive. To quote soeone else, I'm late to the party, at only 15ish years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 09:41 PM

947 posts, read 3,410,994 times
It depends...
I want to say No that I would not date a non-veggie but it depends on the time/my situation, the person etc.

They would have to be respectful of me and not make fun of me (that has happened too often with me with "friends" and co-workers etc) and I would be respectful of them too.
I do not think though that it would go too too far because our values I am assuming would be much to different and would want to have many things in common with another person, I know crazy Huh??!!??

Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 PM

113 posts, read 563,665 times
So here's something interesting that's happened...a new Indian place has opened close to our home. My meat eating boyfriend was averse to trying it, as he can be quite picky about "new" food, but he grudgingly agreed to go last week. He cleaned his plate and was thrilled with his food.

Today, when debating our lunch options, I mentioned Indian food and he said "Hey, how about that vegetarian place? It was really good." (!!!) So we go there, and he cleans his plate again, exclaiming about how good it is. I love when he sees that a meal doesn't need to have meat to be great.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 PM

880 posts, read 2,347,802 times
I have been a vegetarian for over 13 years now. I have found that the girls I have dated in the past tend to alter their eating habits to be similar to mine. My current gf is now a full vegetarian too. Meat eaters don't bother me though. I won't prepare or cook meat dishes for them, but I don't expect them to make me falafals either.

I don't preach my eating habits to anybody, so this doesn't seem to be a dating criteria, but I will answer any questions that people have. I figure that it is my choice, and just keep it to myself. I am not in it for the animals, and I don't have any issues with people eating meat, hunting, or whatever. I don't care if you cook my veggie burger on your grill where you just cooked your burgers either (I am careful so that I don't get sick from the meat though).

Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,691,565 times
Date a vegetarian - heck, I married one over a decade ago. I find the poll a bit amusing personally since I think there are many other (far more) important factors involved in choosing a mate than if s/he is a vegetarian or not.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 AM

33 posts, read 49,231 times
I'm a recent vegan married to a non-veggie. My DH will eat anything I cook, so it's not an issue. I'm also Celiac (allergic to gluten), but it doesn't mean I'd forbid him to eat bread or drink beer.

Besides, I know that me being vegan means that he's already eating a lot less meat! :P He's also just asked if he could read Skinny B now that I was done with it and raved about, so he could change his mind, but I'd never force it.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,479,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersfanNL View Post
My DH will eat anything I cook, so it's not an issue.
Nice husband

Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,122,278 times
I missed the poll.

I only date thoughtful and intelligent people.

My SO was a chicken/fish eater (no red meat) when I met him. We became a couple, but I never tried to change him ( I think that is pointless, trying to change another human being? But that is a deeper topic).

He ate my vegetarian cooking for years, only eating chicken and seafood while dining out. He eventually converted to being a vegetarian by his own choice this past year. I was really concerned that he was doing it for/because of me and I did not want to be responsible.

I am proud to say that it was his own free will. He said what convinced him was not some terrible PETA exposé, but a show on "How It's Made". He said it bothered him that the little chicks were treated more like products than sentient beings.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,556,927 times
I am living with a non-vegetarian. It isn't a problem for me, maybe because we were already pretty serious together when i turned vegetarian, then vegan. However, since i tend to do most of the cooking (my work schedule is better) he hardly ever eats any animal products at home, and he's grown increasingly fond of vegetarian restaurants when we eat out, so i guess it's working well after all...

Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 PM

127 posts, read 364,964 times
I went vegetarian at 13, met my husband at 19, and became vegan about two years after we got married.

When we first met it wasn't much of a consideration, I think my age had a lot to do with it - when you're young you're not so set in your ways.

Right now our deal is that we have a vegetarian house, mostly vegan because I won't let him buy milk or eggs (he doesn't use them enough for them to not go bad). I only cook vegan and it's gotten to the point where I can't even make a sandwich without gagging at the smell of cheese. He's currently in the army and a picky eater, so trying to make him veg*n would've been impossible during deployment. Sometimes he expresses interest in at least going vegetarian, sometimes he says things to counter that. I don't want to push him, but obviously it would be ideal to me if he decided to go vegan. Since he's getting out soon, and will have less money to eat fast food, i'm kind of working on it again. The other night I made an amazing pizza with a vegan cheese sauce that he loved, so little things like that help me plant the seeds.

He said he would watch Earthlings with me, but if he watched it and continued to use animal products i'd lose all of my faith in humanity.

If I had to start dating tomorrow (egads), I wouldn't date a non-vegan, because i'm older and i'm used to the way my life is. I wouldn't want to start over with compromising on something I feel so strongly about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food