Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,460,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I have family members who are that clueless, and at a formal family dinner that was being organized by an in-law who knows what I eat and don't eat, she had fish as the vegetarian alternative. I asked if this was the correct meal since I am vegetarian, and got the reply, "Oh, fish is vegetarian. My cousin eats fish and she's vegetarian." Needless to say, I just looked at her as if she had two heads. I got a hold of the catering manager and he immediately put together a vegetarian-friendly plate and was apologetic to me for the problem. I assured him it was not his fault, but the fault lay within my own extended family who thought that fish was vegetarian. He burst out laughing at that one!

Yep, this is the reason why it annoys me so, when people that eat fish call themselves vegetarian. Not long ago we were invited to a potluck dinner and there was a casserole on the table which we were told, was supposedly vegetarian. I put some on my plate and so did my husband... after the first bite I knew it had some tuna in it. So I just left it on my plate.

By the way, I see you are in the DC area, do you ever go to Java Green??? I miss that place!!!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM

319 posts, read 1,914,189 times
I went veggie awhile back, and more recently added in fish. I've never been big on the "I'm a vegetarian" thing...just call myself a picky eater. That's what I am because there are more foods I won't eat that I will. I don't like the taste of meat, and fish is only tolerable in sushi form or battered. Some people include the form of vegetarianism that eats fish as still a vegetarian, but I wouldn't. I'm also not as picky about what's in what I am eating...I won't ask what it's been cooked in because I probably don't want to know (lard for ex.).

Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,865,704 times
For almost half a century I ate no flesh at all.
Then I moved back to the beach and a bowl of Clam Chowder said "Eat Me".

And I did.

Then I adopted the "No Face" rule.
But then a lobster came and I looked down into his eyes and I said "I'm going to eat you."

And I did.

Then I changed "nothing with a face" to "nothing with fur".
But then my cat came over and I looked into his big eyes and stroked his soft fur and he said "Don't eat me."

So I made a Tuna Sandwich and shared it with him.

I wrote that when this same subject came up a while back.
Since I am trying to live a "Greener" life, I am getting more serious about recycling, so I am re-using all my old posts.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,493,386 times
And then, my cat looked longingly into my big eyes and said, "the h#$ll with it"

So, he ate me.

The Green Life Cycle.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,475,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
By the way, I see you are in the DC area, do you ever go to Java Green??? I miss that place!!!
I do. It's a treasure for dining in the city, so too is Vegetate. I am happy that the two cities where I divide much time in the east have some good vegetarian options.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,290,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Do any of you eat fish and other seafood? I don't, but find that's kind of a struggle for me. It kind of goes back to the five types of vegetarians (which I've never been able to relocate the info on). One of the groups of veggies did eat seafood.

So I'm wondering if I'm just fooling myself because sea creatures are unfamiliar or do they suffer the same torture at death that land animals do? Do most vegetarians eat fish?
Up until the 1980's all vegetarians were essentially vegan, i.e., they stayed away from all animal ingredients.

In the early 80's, the vegetarian diet became popular for health reasons instead of political ones so you had groups of vegetarians who thought that it was okay to eat dairy, eggs, and fish as these items were/are considered to be a part of a healthy diet. As a result, the true vegetarians had to separate themselves from the fad dieters so they came up with the name vegan.

No true vegetarian would eat fish.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,290,498 times
You know, there are many people out there who do not consider fish to be 'meat'. I cannot recall how many times I have heard I do not eat meat, so I will have the fish.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,802,406 times
Quote:
So I'm wondering if I'm just fooling myself because sea creatures are unfamiliar or do they suffer the same torture at death that land animals do?
As the great Will Cuppy said, when someone asked him for the eighteenth time if catching a fish on a hook hurts it: "Of course it hurts. Why wouldn't it?"

Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,935,041 times
Quote:
Do any of you eat fish and other seafood? I don't, but find that's kind of a struggle for me. It kind of goes back to the five types of vegetarians (which I've never been able to relocate the info on). One of the groups of veggies did eat seafood.

So I'm wondering if I'm just fooling myself because sea creatures are unfamiliar or do they suffer the same torture at death that land animals do? Do most vegetarians eat fish?
If someone eats seafood, they are NOT a vegetarian. They may be a pescetarian but they are not a vegetarian.

And yes, I eat seafood and anything else I please. I'm at the top of the food chain, so anything is fair game.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,935,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Up until the 1980's all vegetarians were essentially vegan, i.e., they stayed away from all animal ingredients.

Wrong. I was raised a vegetarian and we ate dairy products. Most of the other vegetarians we knew (which was quite a few) while I was growing up in the 60s and 70s were the same way. Offhand, I don't recall anyone who avoided dairy products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food