Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,784,864 times

Advertisements

People's attitudes about fish are bizarre. Pescatarians claim fish meat isn't meat, so if they eat it they're still vegetarian, and Catholics claim fish don't have blood so they can be eaten on Friday without eating meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,134,250 times
[quote=Cliffie;7636541]People's attitudes about fish are bizarre. Pescatarians claim fish meat isn't meat, so if they eat it they're still vegetarian, ..../quote]

If only someone could convince the fish of this~

Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,484,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
And yes, I eat seafood and anything else I please. I'm at the top of the food chain, so anything is fair game.
Hold your horses, Susu. There is no such thing as one singular 'chain of superiority,' food or otherwise. Strength? No, we'd lose in this competition by a very wide margin. Endurance? Again, we lose and pound for pound we'd be at the bottom. Innate survival capabilities? We have some very stiff competition there, but we ain't top dog.

Now, if you're talking about the ability to conduct killings en masse puts us at the top...I think we've got our imprint all over that one. But it's a transitory imprint, imo. And if some people think it's OK to do anything we want to animals because we go us some machines to kill with, that's just mean.

We kill not so much for survival, but for pleasure and because we can.

There's a great article I read on this very subject, which talks about this flawed ideal of ourselves as at the "top of the food chain." I'll try to find that article, if'n you care to read it.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,484,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
...and Catholics claim fish don't have blood so they can be eaten on Friday without eating meat.
Holy cow, I don't remember that from Catholic school. I thought it was because Jesus ate fish on the Friday before he was crucified. And the idea of no-meat Fridays went out with Vatican II. At least, I think I'm remembering this correctly ~ (I don't even want to bother looking it up, sorry ).

Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 PM

62 posts, read 159,916 times
I didn't become a vegetarian for moral reasons (although now that I am one, I do feel a sense of peace that I'm not perpetuating the cruel and inhumane treatment of animals raised for human consumption). I just sort of fell into vegetarianism about a year ago when I had a sudden (and inexplicable) change of appetite. My former love of meat, pork, poultry, eggs and fish turned into a repulsion. After getting a clean bill of health from my doctor, I just decided to go with it.

With regard to eating fish...no way. I can't even stand the smell of fish, much less the taste (and texture) of it. I have a co-worker who often eats tuna salad at her desk (which is right next to my desk), and I have to pull an orange out of my drawer and hold it up to my nose until she's finished!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 AM

719 posts, read 2,668,866 times
Vegan, so no fish.
I don't quite understand the logic behind vegetarians who eat fish (which seems like the majority of vegetarians nowadays). o.o?
But whatever.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 AM

437 posts, read 1,073,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
People's attitudes about fish are bizarre. Pescatarians claim fish meat isn't meat, so if they eat it they're still vegetarian, and Catholics claim fish don't have blood so they can be eaten on Friday without eating meat.

That is NOT why Catholics allow eating fish; it's considered not to be animal flesh (like pork, beef, chicken, mutton, etc). I am a lifelong Catholic, in my 40's, and I have never heard such twaddle as we "cliam fish don't have any blood". Anyone who has ever cleaned a fish knows better than that!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,655,962 times
In the words of Pat Condell: "Saying that some vegetarians eat fish is like saying that some Buddhists worship Allah."

Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Wrong. I was raised a vegetarian and we ate dairy products. Most of the other vegetarians we knew (which was quite a few) while I was growing up in the 60s and 70s were the same way. Offhand, I don't recall anyone who avoided dairy products.
I have to agree with Sushi -- they used to have what they then called "strict vegetarians" who were in fact vegan, but they were rare as hen's teeth and usually kept sequestered in special communes.

Me, I've always wondered how people who eat cheese and even eggs ever wound up calling themselves vegetarians in the first place. They're eating some of the most egregious, destructive forms of animal-based food.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
That is NOT why Catholics allow eating fish; it's considered not to be animal flesh (like pork, beef, chicken, mutton, etc). I am a lifelong Catholic, in my 40's, and I have never heard such twaddle as we "cliam fish don't have any blood". Anyone who has ever cleaned a fish knows better than that!!!!
Well I grew up in a Catholic neighborhood, and the historic basis of the argument is that some damned fool believed that the scanty, pink blood of a fish is not the same as ours, and thus not really blood at all. It's no dumber than believing that fish meat is somehow a vegetable.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-27-2009 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Religious arguments belong in a different forum -- thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food