Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:28 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,445,614 times

Advertisements

strange thing is I was iron deficient before I became a veggie... haven't had low iron in years. Eating a diet with lots of whole grains, veggies and legumes and fruit should fulfill your needs.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,650,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Great info here!
I wonder about my levels now too, cuz I never "balance or plan" my food intake.

Hey what exactly is Blackstrap molasses? What do you use it for/in? Heard about it the past but never used it. You drink it? What else is it for other than high iron?

Does vit C high the iron through your system?
I don't know about blackstrap molassed, but I think all molasses have iron. I use sorghum molasses fresh made from the cane field. Get a big old hot biscuit and mix the molasses with butter or margarine, wipe a spoonful on that biscuit and bite into a heavenly treat.

I find molasses at the fresh market. Regular storebought molasses are not fit to eat. They don't even make good gingerbread. Molasses can be used instead of sugar in most foods.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post

Does vit C high the iron through your system?
Yes it does. Iron comes in two forms; Ferric Fe3+ and Ferrous Fe2+. Often, IIRC, the iron gained from meats, and the iron stored in our bodies, is Fe3+. But, it's Fe2+ that is the usuable form for our bodies. Ascorbic acid (Vit C) converts Fe3+ to the bioavailable Fe2+.

Folk that have health issues could end up with iron toxcity due to overload of Ferric iron even though they're deficient in Ferrous. All kinds of fruits and veggies have C or you could just pop a C vitamin.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,131,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
strange thing is I was iron deficient before I became a veggie... haven't had low iron in years. Eating a diet with lots of whole grains, veggies and legumes and fruit should fulfill your needs.
Ditto here. I really cleaned up my diet when I went veggie. No issues with low iron anymore.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:55 PM

179 posts, read 481,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yes it does. Iron comes in two forms; Ferric Fe3+ and Ferrous Fe2+. Often, IIRC, the iron gained from meats, and the iron stored in our bodies, is Fe3+. But, it's Fe2+ that is the usuable form for our bodies. Ascorbic acid (Vit C) converts Fe3+ to the bioavailable Fe2+.
That's only half right. Fe2+ is the form best absorbed by our body. Fe2+ is available from meats while from plants it's always Fe3+. "Vegetable iron" is therefore resorbed much worse tahn "meat iron", hence all the talk about iron deficency among vegetarians. Vitamin C enhances the resorption of Fe3+ strongly, allegedly by reducing it to Fe2+. It's also noteworthy that several other substances can strongly inhibit iron uptake, most importantly tannins (from coffee, tea), eggs and phytic acid (from some unfermented whole grains)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Folk that have health issues could end up with iron toxcity due to overload of Ferric iron even though they're deficient in Ferrous.
No that's not possible. Resorption of Fe3+ is bad, but existent. Besides there's no real way to ever reach a toxic level of iron just through your diet. Even with supplements that's really hard to do since a healthy body just stops iron uptake when it has enough.
I think toxic levels of iron have only been observed after blood transfusions or cause by some obscure dieseases.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
That's only half right. Fe2+ is the form best absorbed by our body. Fe2+ is available from meats while from plants it's always Fe3+. "Vegetable iron" is therefore resorbed much worse tahn "meat iron", hence all the talk about iron deficency among vegetarians. Vitamin C enhances the resorption of Fe3+ strongly, allegedly by reducing it to Fe2+. It's also noteworthy that several other substances can strongly inhibit iron uptake, most importantly tannins (from coffee, tea), eggs and phytic acid (from some unfermented whole grains)
Oh yea, I remember now. I have such a terrible memory because now I'm recalling that I was bumbed out when I learned veggies contain Fe3 and not Fe2. I guess I was being subconsciously biased.

I have an anecdotal account for fun...

I took a nutrition lab class many moons ago where we tested our blood for all kinds of nutrients, with iron being among them. I was the only veg in the class. There were 20 of us. Of the 15 women, I was friendly with 5, all of them but me had low iron counts. The girls I knew well were strong meat eaters. Granted, women tend to have issues with iron over men. I was surprised though. I do consume a lot of C and I suspect that played a role.

Quote:
No that's not possible. Resorption of Fe3+ is bad, but existent. Besides there's no real way to ever reach a toxic level of iron just through your diet.
I was thinking of folk that have hemochromatosis. Although, this site notes some common risk factors for acquired iron over load.
Iron Disorders Institute - Acquired Iron Overload

Quote:
Even with supplements that's really hard to do since a healthy body just stops iron uptake when it has enough.
I think toxic levels of iron have only been observed after blood transfusions or cause by some obscure dieseases.
Of course, it's not going to be a problem for healthy people, but those with health issues that have risk factors for iron over load.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM

110 posts, read 375,815 times
Has anyone heard of Floradix Iron + Herbs? This guy was giving out small sample bottles at the local nutrition store.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:59 PM

948 posts, read 3,358,445 times
Talking Yes, to cast iron skillets!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Cast iron pans are a good start.

Dried fruits, nuts, beans and legumes all contain iron.

Avoid caffeine and add vitamin C instead to increase absorption.

Do not be afraid of food sticking or that they're hard to work with. I have my hubby using them and he loves them. The added bonus is the iron you food will absorb from the pans. There are many sizes to choose from. I had a friend who couldn't use them because her hubby had to stay away from iron. His doctor told him specifically to avoid eating food from cast iron!!

Be careful with them. They get hot--think branding iron. BUT, when you become skilled, it's no problem. I make everything in them--cakes, too--in the oven!!

Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 AM

8 posts, read 18,476 times
Have farina in the morning make it with water to a thick soup add lemon juice

Old 08-03-2009, 05:02 PM

17 posts, read 35,841 times
Pure maple syrup contains some iron, as well as oatmeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food