Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypentax View Post
I guess I don't understand why some posters in this thread go on and on trying to paint Ventura and the area in such a negative light? Just be happy you don't live here and quit arguing with us that like it here.

We love the area and are very happy we moved here and you will not convince us to leave. BTW, We feel completely safe and haven't witnesses any of the crime or negatives some have found with just short visits.
obviously some people have. And they are participating because I believe they want to help people who are looking for a place to live. I'm also sure it is hard when your home changes to something you cannot live in anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
this is a stronger deterrent to me than the fact that the city has some problems. If people are honest I'm more likely to think 'hey get some good people in this town that want to make a difference and deal with the nuisances of crime/gangs/homeless problem while working for good' but if people who live there thing 'this is normal....
Yeah, this happens to some cities, I'm not sure why. Ironically its never the natives that are wearing the rose tinted glasses, but rather transplants.

There are some other city/region forums that are like this too.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't understand why some posters in this thread go on and on trying to paint Ventura and the area in such a negative light?
Nice...reality distortion. The point isn't to try to paint Ventura in a negative light, in what sense does that benefit me? It doesn't, I'd much rather Ventura be a super awesome place. I have much more history in this area of the state than all, if not the vast majority of you folks. The point is to describe Ventura in an accurate light....

Quote:
We love the area and are very happy we moved here and you will not convince us to leave.
Great! But why do you think I care where you live and why would I try to convince you to move?!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Default Thuggery everywhere!

I spent about an hour at the Pac View Mall this afternoon and snapped as many pictures with my cell phone as I could.

I missed the one that sparked the idea, a lady on the corner of Main & Mills standing alone holding a "Silent Peace Vigil" sign.

But these folks -- I only wish I could warn them of what perils lie ahead.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSeqrqgkqI/AAAAAAAAPZI/rch8fDp_r6M/s800/IMAG0316.jpg (broken link)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSevB3bGkI/AAAAAAAAPZQ/4o9dF1ZiRx4/s800/IMAG0315.jpg (broken link)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSewuG5DgI/AAAAAAAAPZU/6TRvVIqZbDw/s800/IMAG0314.jpg (broken link)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSezYqWemI/AAAAAAAAPZc/5kg_gKq3lck/s800/IMAG0312.jpg (broken link)

This checker was too happy - and the lady she was helping was smiling too. I smell a conspiracy.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSe52BV3jI/AAAAAAAAPZs/z8oNjb8bFpQ/s800/IMAG0323.jpg (broken link)

Thug in the making - DON'T SHAKE THAT TREE LITTLE GIRL! That's private property!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSeswkQRfI/AAAAAAAAPZM/EXepdyfnobQ/s800/IMAG0325.jpg (broken link)
Jag & Lexus in the background must be stolen goods. I shoulda reported it.

Now here's a thug - she can't ride on the sidewalk! And no helmet! And headphones on! THREE INFRACTIONS! WHERE ARE THE POLICE WHEN YOU NEED THEM!? This place is going to the birds!
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSe8JWA11I/AAAAAAAAPZw/JRA5Iecxmcs/s800/IMAG0326.jpg (broken link)

Typical crowd entering and leaving Target. RGB123, Nisini and user_id - please use your magical thug glasses for us and enlighten the group - which are the thugs?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSe-G_Y_jI/AAAAAAAAPZ0/QIzVm-PuHNg/s800/IMAG0320.jpg (broken link)

This guy makes me feel uneasy. I think it's the boots. Not going to stick around to find out.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSfACA8iUI/AAAAAAAAPZ4/tl6Y1yThgp0/s800/IMAG0319.jpg (broken link)

This was honestly, all kidding aside, the only "thuggery" I could find. Some teenagers who were thrown out of Target for horsing around. They do outnumber me, but I can take 'em.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_gepiVpoGkL0/TcSfCJmzDwI/AAAAAAAAPZ8/ZAw-vc44fzg/s800/IMAG0318.jpg (broken link)

RGB, we all anxiously await pictures of the thugs from your visit this weekend. Video would be even better. Please enlighten us of the dangers in our community, and provide user_id with that nostalgia from his childhood.

ps Fist fights in the street would be enlightening! Beer runs? FOR SURE. Old dude with a wad of cash and a mysterious white hanky in his back pocket? NOTSOMUCH. Let's get our citizen journalism hats on and make this a better town

Last edited by HSP1161; 05-06-2011 at 08:12 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
I spent about an hour in town today and snapped as many pictures with my cell phone as I could.
Umm....you are taking pictures in a Target parking lot, Target, a store with a middle-class demographic.... This is like doing an income survey for your community at the local country club....

Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yeah, once you put on your "I just bought a house here" goggles.
Those are almost as distorting as the "I overpaid for my tract home in the hellfire valley of sameness" goggles.

Quote:
Trying to paint Ventura as Mayberry doesn't make much sense, the city has some very visible problems.
Nice try. Already called out the homeless and other problems, even tried to discourage her from moving here.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Umm....you are taking pictures in a Target parking lot, Target, a store with a middle-class demographic.... This is like doing an income survey for your community at the local country club....
Middle class demographic? Target? Gal in front of me in line used food stamps to pay for some of her stuff.

Anyhow, direct me to the thugs please.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Those are almost as distorting as the "I overpaid for my tract home in the hellfire valley of sameness" goggles.
Yep, undoubtedly, fortunately I'm not wearing either of them.

Where is hellfire valley by the way?

Quote:
Middle class demographic? Target? Gal in front of me in line used food stamps to pay for some of her stuff. Where do the po' folk shop in Ventura?
Right, Target has a middle-class demographic, that is preciously the demographic that they...ahem...target.

I don't think I've ever seen someone use food-stamps at Target, not even when I lived in an inner city, but this doesn't tell you much about the person. Perhaps they are unemployed, you know, I hear the unemployment rate is high right now.

And note, when I say "a while" I'm not talking about the distant past. And yes, I'm not going to try to describe it, I will instead take pictures the next time I'm up there which should be fairly soon.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 PM

89 posts, read 421,260 times
Quote:
Yeah, this happens to some cities, I'm not sure why. Ironically its never the natives that are wearing the rose tinted glasses, but rather transplants.

There are some other city/region forums that are like this too.
How long do I have to live in an area before my opinion is accurate? Also, you have more history in this area than anyone else on this forum? My understanding is that quite a few on here have lived in the area quite a while. How long have you lived here?

I do think you have quite an extensive history of negativity toward Ventura Co. on this forum from long before this thread.

Last edited by olypentax; 05-06-2011 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
How long do I have to live in an area before my opinion is valid?
People can form opinions whenever they wish, but whether or not someone's opinion is true is an entirely different issue...

Quote:
Also, you have more history in this area than anyone else on this forum?
I said all, if not the vast majority. I don't know everyone's history, but most are fairly recent transplants.

Quote:
I do think you have quite an extensive history of negativity toward Ventura Co. on this forum from long before this thread.
Huh? You mean I don't always say good things about Ventura County? Yeah, that is the issue here, you can't say anything "negative" without it being a big deal. C'mon...every area has its pros and cons. I have said just as many good things about the area as I have bad... Now, my view of Ventura/Oxnard is more on the negative side, but I've had plenty of positive things to say about it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County