Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM

37 posts, read 88,298 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I are searching for houses in the T.O, Moorepark and Simi Valley (Wood Ranch) areas. We recently moved to T.O. about 9 months ago from Dallas and absolutely love it (we are renting now). I have two daughters (both 13 yo girls) who will be attending West Lake High next year. We are a white family that makes fairly good money.

As you probably know the house prices in T.O are considerable higher compared to the other areas. Can some of your tell us your opinions on T.O. compared to Moorepark and Simi Valley? Would you live in one area compared to the other and why?

Home price area would be about 750-850K range. THANK YOU EVERYONE ON YOUR THOUGHTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Here's this topic on previous threads to help you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ventu...park-your.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ventu...k-vs-simi.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ventu...-hills-vs.html

Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Where is your job?

I'd give TO and A+ and Moorpark a B+ and Simi a B for schools.
Moorpark is cooler in summer.
Lots of trucks on 118 in Moorpark.
TO more expensive than Moorpark which is on par with Simi. Wood Ranch is one of the masterplanned communities in Simi. I thin WR attends average Royal HS.

If you job is in Chatsworth, then Wood Ranch or Moorpark. If it is in Woodland Hills then TO.

It doesn't get much better than TO.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:48 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Despite a few gradual shifts in the past few years, T.O. is still the best in my opinion. There are a few small patches in T.O. that are less desirable but still the schools are excellent and the crime is very low. Simi Valley gets a little hotter in the summer and has a more blue collar ambiance to it although I would not discount it at all. Moorpark feels a bit more removed than T.O., and some people who work in T.O. are starting to move in that direction.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I agree that I like TO the best but Wood Ranch seems nice from what I saw of it. I am not sure about the schools though.
OP since you like TO and live there now have you looked at all at homes in the area? Since your kids are in school I would think if possible you would rather keep them in the same district?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,097 times
Default Thousand Oaks vs. Simi/Moorpark

Hi,
I grew up in Dallas so I can sympathize with the sticker shock you must be experiencing! Im a realtor here in Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks and a mom so I'll give you my opinion from both perspectives If your girls are going to be in Westlake schools, I would most definitely recommend Thousand Oaks. The traffic during rush hour on the 23 going to Moorpark or Simi is no fun and I'm sure you will be driving your kids back and forth plenty. Thousand Oaks is just generally more convenient. Everything you could possibly want to do is within a few miles. You can get a very nice home for the price range you are searching in. Moderator cut: Removed contact information

Last edited by bhcompy; 12-16-2013 at 01:06 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
Prices are higher in T.O. because the school system is excellent. Simi and Moorpark are enough cheaper that you might be able to afford private school. Sierra Canyon is a fabulous school in Chatsworth - just minutes from Simi. I would only live in or near the Wood Ranch area - the south west end of Simi, because there was a serious nuclear meltdown at the east end of Simi in 1959 and much of the contamination has yet to be cleaned up. There is also a great private school in Calabasas called Viewpoint School. If you really want your kids in public school, stick to T.O. I do like a couple of things about Simi very much - it is small and uncrowded. Congestion is minimal compared to Thousand Oaks or Westlake. I also like driving into Los Angeles on the 118 instead of the 101. I avoid the 101 whenever possible because the traffic is always horrible.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smangano View Post
Prices are higher in T.O. because the school system is excellent. Simi and Moorpark are enough cheaper that you might be able to afford private school. Sierra Canyon is a fabulous school in Chatsworth - just minutes from Simi. I would only live in or near the Wood Ranch area - the south west end of Simi, because there was a serious nuclear meltdown at the east end of Simi in 1959 and much of the contamination has yet to be cleaned up. There is also a great private school in Calabasas called Viewpoint School. If you really want your kids in public school, stick to T.O. I do like a couple of things about Simi very much - it is small and uncrowded. Congestion is minimal compared to Thousand Oaks or Westlake. I also like driving into Los Angeles on the 118 instead of the 101. I avoid the 101 whenever possible because the traffic is always horrible.
The schools in Moorpark are outstanding GreatSchools Moorpark. It is less crowded and crime is lower than Thousand Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County