Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Thousand Oaks= Recreation and safety, no nightlife,stuck in traffic even on weekends to explore the city or beaches which would take close to an hour. Not great for a single person unless you like to rent movies at night. Hot in the summer cooler in winter.

Chicago= Culture,museums, concerts, shopping, restaurants, clubs, tons of singles and plenty of outdoor activity other than the winter, plus family which is a good touchstone when you are young and single.
Pluses and minuses to everything in life. What is most important to you????
I think Chicago would be better for you as a young single. I do want to correct an error about Thousand Oaks. It's 20 miles from the beach through Kanan, You can get there in 30 minutes and you never have to get on the freeway. Thousand Oaks is also about 3-5 degrees cooler in summer and winter, then say the SF valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 PM

162 posts, read 572,610 times
I live in TO, the weather is beautiful, probably about the best in Southern CA outside of actually living in a true beach city. I'm not into nightlife, so I don't feel the "boredom" factor. The open space, beaches and parks are stunning, and other than the occasional flood or fire, you can recreate almost every day of the year.

I like the idea that some people mentioned of living out here for a year or so, and then back to Chicago later, it would be an experience. As a native Californian I have a hard time understanding (other than weather and outdoor activities) why anyone would want to live here, but I try to put myself in their shoes and get why they would at least want to try it.

I guess my big caveat about that is don't stay too long, or you will have a difficult time going back to that cold weather. It's one thing I hate about being native, that I'm a total weather wimp and pretty much have in my mind whole segments of the country where I could never live due to cold. I guess some come from the cold and then go back, but it would be hard, I think.

I've never been to Chicago, but I would guess if you want the city/nightlife/youth lifestyle, it would be better than here. As others have said, Los Angeles metro is very spread out. In TO you wouldn't be far from the Valley, but it still wouldn't be the same as having an actual "city" lifestyle.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
I live in TO, the weather is beautiful, probably about the best in Southern CA outside of actually living in a true beach city. I'm not into nightlife, so I don't feel the "boredom" factor. The open space, beaches and parks are stunning, and other than the occasional flood or fire, you can recreate almost every day of the year.

I like the idea that some people mentioned of living out here for a year or so, and then back to Chicago later, it would be an experience. As a native Californian I have a hard time understanding (other than weather and outdoor activities) why anyone would want to live here, but I try to put myself in their shoes and get why they would at least want to try it.

I guess my big caveat about that is don't stay too long, or you will have a difficult time going back to that cold weather. It's one thing I hate about being native, that I'm a total weather wimp and pretty much have in my mind whole segments of the country where I could never live due to cold. I guess some come from the cold and then go back, but it would be hard, I think.

I've never been to Chicago, but I would guess if you want the city/nightlife/youth lifestyle, it would be better than here. As others have said, Los Angeles metro is very spread out. In TO you wouldn't be far from the Valley, but it still wouldn't be the same as having an actual "city" lifestyle.
A fellow weather-wimp here. You took the words out of my mouth. Once you get used to this gorgeous TO weather you are just about useless for being able to live anywhere else. My best friend lives in Chicago so I've been there many times. It's a fun city but the weather is ugly. One Xmas when I visited they we had to disembark on that stair ramp they bring up to the plane because the jetway had frozen and would not move. Killer cold in the winter and wet blanket humidity in the summer.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
I guess I don't qualify as a "weather wimp"! I lived in the Valley and Westlake Village most of my life and was bored out of my mind with the sameness of the weather. Never any drama, just warm, hot, hotter. Well, we moved to a Boston suburb in November and experienced one of the snowiest winters in years but it was so beautiful and the roads are always cleared as are the sidewalks...made for a real white Xmas. I would rather have 6 to 7 months of cooler weather and less hot than the other way around. You can warm up much easier that cool off and you can still go outside! While you were getting temps in the high 90's this last week, we were in the 50's and 60's with so much greenery and flowers blooming not to mention never having to look at brown schmutz in the sky anymore! It was 80 for two days about two weeks ago and people practically threw a parade! It's great appreciating the differences of the seasons for me.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I guess I don't qualify as a "weather wimp"! I lived in the Valley and Westlake Village most of my life and was bored out of my mind with the sameness of the weather. Never any drama, just warm, hot, hotter. Well, we moved to a Boston suburb in November and experienced one of the snowiest winters in years but it was so beautiful and the roads are always cleared as are the sidewalks...made for a real white Xmas. I would rather have 6 to 7 months of cooler weather and less hot than the other way around. You can warm up much easier that cool off and you can still go outside! While you were getting temps in the high 90's this last week, we were in the 50's and 60's with so much greenery and flowers blooming not to mention never having to look at brown schmutz in the sky anymore! It was 80 for two days about two weeks ago and people practically threw a parade! It's great appreciating the differences of the seasons for me.
Sounds lovely puffle. I love Boston but have only been there in the summer. What do you mean by "cooler weather"? How cold is "cooler"? My son is going to school in Boston in a few months. Just how cold can he expect it to get? Is there ever any wind chill? I'm sure those snowy Christmas's are just lovely. Maybe I'll get to see them this year.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM

30 posts, read 87,270 times
My friends lived in TO and its Boring as hell! if you move to LA move into the main metro area.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,751 times
I think puffle summarized it pretty well, you need to figure out what's important to you and I'd also recommend to visit if this is possible.

I've never lived in Chicago, but I would take it over TO for someone in your situation (a single 25 year old) any time. I've lived in around TO and Westlake Village (moved for a job like you) for about 4 months, that was all I could handle, I felt depressed, lonely and isolated and had to drive everywhere everytime (weekdays and weekends alike). I moved to Santa Monica close to the beach, which I absolutely loved and had to put up with the 1.5-2 hour daily commute. I did this for 2 years, that's how much I hated living around Westlake/TO. I was lucky and could work from home on Fridays, which made up for the distance (together with the pretty PCH, canyon scenery along the way), but for you since you'd be working in the Simi Valley I don't recommend to do this.

TO area and Simi Valley are largely suburban, non-walkable, family oriented communities with good schools. Night life exists, especially around Westlake Village, Agoura Hills and Calabasas there are some restaurants turning into dance clubs and lounges, but you'd have to drive there, which to me is stressful given the fact that you are going to the place to drink. If you get together with other young people (hopefully you'd meet some at work) you'll have more fun. There are young people, but I would say the crowd around there is a bit older, it's also expensive for most single people starting out to go out to these lounges/restaurants. On weekends you are close to drive to many beautiful places to explore SoCal, which is a bonus, so you'd have to decide how important this experience is for you and if you are willing to put up with a year of living single in the suburbs.

You will find TO a pretty place, there are hills around and they get green in spring . Beaches are also fairly close, but of course you'd have to drive and park. There are good outdoor possibilities, but you'd still have to drive to get there. I doubt you will find nature trails right outside of your corporate apartment complex. Get a convertible , this may help with having to spend so much time in the car You'll also get a good use of it all year round.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM

11 posts, read 32,134 times
I'm really thankful for all the advice. It has helped tremendously with my upcoming choice!

GREAT input and insight all around...

Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
Don't know if I am too late.... Thousand Oaks is more like Chicago vs Hoffman Estates -- Naperville is probably more like Pasadena, as it has a decent nightlife district that draws a few more singles.

Outdoor activities are great in SoCal, and you can always find somewhere to party -- albeit, it might be a bit of a drive (public transit is all but non existent in suburbs). You mentioned sports -- Chicago is definitely more of a sports town! You find some sports fans here and it's more popular in certain areas, but it is not prevalent like Chicago.

Live music tends to be high quality in SoCal. Again, though, it won't be in Thousand Oaks -- it will require a bit of a drive. If that's okay with you, then music can be a plus here. But if you like blues... can't beat Chicago for that! Concerts -- again, major concerts will be at Staples Center, the Pond in Anaheim, Hollywood Bowl, etc. Smaller venues will be largely in West LA, with a scattered few elsewhere.

For a young single person, I find any suburb can be tough (speaking as a young single person). Having said that, SoCal's suburbs are more diverse and interesting -- with more young people -- than in most cities. But Thousand Oaks is not Chicago.

To live in Thousand Oaks, you have to be willing to drive -- LA has a lot to offer people of all ages. But Thousand Oaks... much more of a family community.

I love Chicago, one of my favorite cities anywhere. And if you know people there, that helps. Yet... rent-free in SoCal, to experience another culture? Tempting!

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions. I'm not in Thousand Oaks, but I am a single person in a SoCal suburb... maybe I can answer some questions!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:09 PM

48 posts, read 188,493 times
PayOne24 - Please let us know what you decide if you are comfortable with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County