Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:07 AM

5 posts, read 61,179 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in the Thousand Oaks area, with commuting to Westlake and Encino. Any info. on these areas, do's and dont's, housing within 30-40 minutes, ect...

I would be moving from the Palm Springs area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Thousand Oaks is a nice and safe area. You have Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Agoura, Oak Park and Calabasas to choose from. They all pretty much run along the 101 freeway.
You are about 20 minutes or so from the ocean. Its a beautiful area. Plenty of homes to choose from. Homes will cost you a pretty penny though but in my opinion, well worth it.
I don't know if you have any school age children but the schools are all great in these areas.

Good luck on your job offer!!

Last edited by Roma; 05-28-2007 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Very safe area and the schools are indeed very good. Calabasas is very good as well.

Just a question on Agoura Hills, though: is it subject to flooding or mudslides during rainstorms? I seem to remember that it is, but I could be mistaken.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
The community commonly referred to as Westlake Village resides on both sides of the Los Angeles/Ventura county line. If you live in Ventura County you do not live in Westlake Village but rather Thousand Oaks. (If you live in Los Angeles County then you live in Westlake Village.)

Westlake Village used to be the Russell Ranch. Below is a good shot of the ranch before it became the lake in Westlake Village:

Thousand Oaks area ?-russell-ranch_jpg.jpg

Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks are right next to each other, there is no commuting. Encino can be a painful but not too long commute in the morning (7-9) and the afternoon (330-6). There are few better places to raise kids than Thousand Oaks and the immediate vicinity. The Conejo Valley School District is extremely good. Housing prices are around $500/sqft. Taxes on a $700K house are going to be around $8700/year.

There are no "don't"s.

If you ever have to find another job, you very likely may have to use the 101 heading east. Nasty drive. I guess that's the only risk.

Here are three excellent books on the region before all the silicone, Prozac, realtor, and chrome weasels showed up:

Amazon.ca: Branches on the Conejo: Leaving the Soil After Five Generations: Books: Anne Schroeder

Another two by Mr. Russell are "Cattle on the Conejo" and "Heads and Tails … And Odds and Ends" You can probably get them at the Westlake Village or Agoura Hills branches of the Los Angeles County Public Library or the Thousand Oaks Library.

Russell Ranch

Looking Back Through Time (http://www.stagecoachmuseum.org/pb/index.htm - broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 05-28-2007 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Added Russell Ranch photo

Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Question Quick 1000 Oaks history in TV question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here are three excellent books on the region before all the silicone, Prozac, realtor, and chrome weasels showed up:

Amazon.ca: Branches on the Conejo: Leaving the Soil After Five Generations: Books: Anne Schroeder

Another two by Mr. Russell are "Cattle on the Conejo" and "Heads and Tails … And Odds and Ends" You can probably get them at the Westlake Village or Agoura Hills branches of the Los Angeles County Public Library or the Thousand Oaks Library.

Russell Ranch

Looking Back Through Time (http://www.stagecoachmuseum.org/pb/index.htm - broken link)
Sorry to get off topic, just a minor diversion. The subject of TO history got me thinking. It's my understanding that the opening scenes of the old 60s TV show Green Acres were filmed in TO. Any idea where? Is that barn still around somewhere? Perhaps not. TO is hardly recognizable now compared to the Green Acres opening shots of 40 years ago. Curious if anyone knows anything about this.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:43 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Sorry to get off topic, just a minor diversion. The subject of TO history got me thinking. It's my understanding that the opening scenes of the old 60s TV show Green Acres were filmed in TO. Any idea where? Is that barn still around somewhere? Perhaps not. TO is hardly recognizable now compared to the Green Acres opening shots of 40 years ago. Curious if anyone knows anything about this.
I have no idea about Green Acres, but here is an old article from the Ventura county star talking about some of the old movies and shows that have been filed in Thousand Oaks:

Studios once shot on location in Conejo Valley : News : Ventura County Star (http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/co_valley/article/0,1375,VCS_166_3141747,00.html - broken link)

I may date myself here, but I use to go watch them shoot the car stunts for Dukes of Hazzard out in Hidden Valley. They also use to shoot Night Rider on the 23 freeway ocassionally.

To the original poster: Thousand Oaks is an excellent place to live. I have been here since the late 70s, when my parents moved us here to escape the bussing in Los Angeles. I am now raising my family here and it is a great place. It is safe, clean, lots of good restaurants, shopping, entertainment. Climate is really nice most of the year (no flooding to speak of), you can easily drive to the beach, to the mountains, to the desert & to Los Angeles for all that is there.

It is expensive here, but I think it is definitely worth it. If you have any specific questions, ask away!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 61,179 times
Thank you all for your kind and interesting replies. I will be going there again on sat for a second interview. Salary is yet to discussed, if it is adequate, I will accept the position if offered.

Thanks again, Walt

Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 29,749 times
does anybody know about the houston street area of Thousand Oaks looking to buy a house in that area? Crime Gangs etc.???

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Thousand Oaks or as many of us call it T.O. is not one of the safest cities in Ventura County. It is not one of the safest cities in the state, When they talk about T.O. they talk about it being one of the safest cities in the United States. It is that high on the list. For many years it was listed as the top of the list, meaning #1 in the USA as safest cities, along with Simi Valley. Most of the time they are listed together for the purpose of the ranking. Camarillo is on the other side of the Conejo Grade, the cooler side (cooler in climate) and is within your driving range. Homes may be more affordable in Camarillo. Also Oxnard has many nice places and is more affordable still. Oxnard has areas that are older and many that are looking for a makeover, chances are you won't want to live in those areas. You can find homes from $180,000 to $1,000,000 in Oxnard with new places ranging in the $250,000 to $600,000 span. I had to toss that out because I am a resident of the area and love my part of Oxnard. The T.O. area may set you back in the $300,000 range and up to the 8 figures. It is a nice area to live. I have friends and co workers that live in the T.O., Westlake area. They all love it.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 29,749 times
hi great info. I work here in westlake village and am looking for more specifics, more about a particular area of T.O. does anybody know about the Houston street area around Hillcrest and Hodencamp the 23 & the 101 in T.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County