Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,733 times

Advertisements

My family and I are being transferred to the Thousand Oaks area and would like some advice about the schools and neighborhoods.
We are looking at living in Dos Vientos or Westlake Village but want to pick the best school and community. My son is going into the second grade and is coming from a small private school so the change will be pretty dramatic for him.
Any advice about which area of Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park/Westlake Village would best fit our needs would be greatly appreciated. We have a clean slate so we can choose wherever we want.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
I personally love Westlake Village but I have lived in both Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park. All are safe and nice areas but it would depend on what you like to do and how far you would have to drive to do it. That's why I love Westlake Village. They have several quaint and nice restaurants, shopping, a small but nice lake and great schools.

Schools are wonderful in all the areas you mentioned. Maybe someone on here knows of a link to the various schools in the area and their scores.

Since I don't know the dollar amount on a home you can spend....here are some suggestions on some neighborhoods in Westlake Village in the similar price range as Dos Vientos:

1). "First Neighborhood" (yes that is the name of it, you could walk your child to the elementary school that is actually in that neighborhood). Lots of children live in this area. website....firstneighborhood.org

2). "Three Springs" (again, lots of children live in this area and the children would go to the same elementary school as the ones in the First Neighborhood). You would have to drive your child to school or have them take the school bus.

3). You could also get a home on the lake. (I'm not sure how many children live on the lake though).

Now there are several other areas in Westlake to choose from and in various price ranges.

But....Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park are nice too. Westlake Village is just my personal favorite.

Last edited by Roma; 07-02-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,733 times
Thanks for your response....I had heard of First Neighborhood before but when we visited last week I couldn't find it.....where is "first neighborhood" also if you could tell me where "three springs" is as well I would really appreciate it.....We will be looking to rent a house initially so I would like to make sure I search in the right areas. Also do you know the name of the school that handles this area?
Again thanks for the response

Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
if your job is in thousand oaks and you are being paid enough to afford the area, i think that you are really in a win-win situation no matter where you end up living. I've never heard one bad thing about any of the schools in the TO area. My wife grew up in Oak Park, just east of TO, and really enjoyed it. Her mom still works for the school district and they really make an effort in that area to have excellent schools. IMO, you could end up in any of the cities of the conejo valley and be just as happy as you would been in any of the other cities there. its really not that big of an area, so you're never more than 10 or 15 minutes from anything, except the beach, but thats only about 20 minutes away. good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Here is a picture of that First Neighborhood, 1968. View looking southwest across the intersection of Agoura Road and Lakeview Canyon Road. The Westlake Inn is under construction in the foreground.

For a quick and dirty snapshot of school information check out:

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...12%2C1%2C2%2C3

Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-m-p View Post
Thanks for your response....I had heard of First Neighborhood before but when we visited last week I couldn't find it.....where is "first neighborhood" also if you could tell me where "three springs" is as well I would really appreciate it.....We will be looking to rent a house initially so I would like to make sure I search in the right areas. Also do you know the name of the school that handles this area?
Again thanks for the response
The school is called White Oak Elementary. It's in the heart of First Neighborhood. Here is the schools website with a map for directions......also notice Three Springs Park down toward the bottom left of the map, that is Three Springs.

I think renting is a great idea when moving to a county you don't know well. That way you can find the best place for you and your family without being rushed and then finding out you made the wrong decision.

Good luck and enjoy the whole area.

White Oak Elementary - Location and Map (http://www.whiteoakelementary.org/index.php?option=com_google_maps&Itemid=67 - broken link)

Old 07-07-2008, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,266 times
Boy, I am not sure how I stumbled on the forum but we too are moving from NH to TO. We have two young children and just bought a house in TO. We move the first week of August. How funny? I am sure we could compare notes and maybe help one another?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if your job is in thousand oaks and you are being paid enough to afford the area, i think that you are really in a win-win situation no matter where you end up living. I've never heard one bad thing about any of the schools in the TO area. My wife grew up in Oak Park, just east of TO, and really enjoyed it. Her mom still works for the school district and they really make an effort in that area to have excellent schools. IMO, you could end up in any of the cities of the conejo valley and be just as happy as you would been in any of the other cities there. its really not that big of an area, so you're never more than 10 or 15 minutes from anything, except the beach, but thats only about 20 minutes away. good luck!
Just like BRinSM says, it's a win-win situation. Congratulations and Welcome!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 PM

18 posts, read 109,350 times
Default 200 K for a family is oK in TO?

Hello there, an average salary of 200 K gross, is it ok for TO with a family (two kids)
Thank you

Vicma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post

Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorma View Post
Hello there, an average salary of 200 K gross, is it ok for TO with a family (two kids)
Thank you

Vicma
What is your housing budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County