Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:08 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,341,561 times

Advertisements

Are arts and crafts still big in Vermont? Just curious...Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:28 PM

190 posts, read 654,875 times
Well sure, I think so. I know that compared to Rochester, NY Vermont has lots of arts and crafts, at least in my opinion. In my hometown there's usually a knitting club, lots of artist events, and language events like the French roundtable (I know it's not technically an art or craft, but it's on the same line). Probably your best bet would be to look in a local newspaper or go online to see what sort of clubs and events are available. Are you looking at a particular town?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM

76 posts, read 202,980 times
HUGE in my neck of the woods.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks for your posts...My husband and I dreamed about moving to Vermont a few years back but life threw us a few "curve balls" and we had to put our plans on hold...Do many cities in Vermont still have craft stores or craft malls? Crafts stores are a "dying breed" out here in the west today...and shows don't always do that well...We were considering moving to the Northeast Kingdom in the past.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,675,755 times
Craft stores are a dying breed here as well. There are the national chains like Michael's and Creative Habitat, formerly known as Ben Franklins that have taken much of the business from the small mom and pop shops. I'm sure areas where crafts are huge there are some other stores. The craft market is not as good as it was about a decade ago. We have friends who sell crafts and they look at more of a social gathering than a money making venture. There are a few good events where they are able to make money, but for the most part it is not a good way to make extra income. If this is your interest, feel free to PM me and I could put you in touch with them. We just talked about this subject two weeks ago.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Craft stores are a dying breed here as well. There are the national chains like Michael's and Creative Habitat, formerly known as Ben Franklins that have taken much of the business from the small mom and pop shops. I'm sure areas where crafts are huge there are some other stores. The craft market is not as good as it was about a decade ago. We have friends who sell crafts and they look at more of a social gathering than a money making venture. There are a few good events where they are able to make money, but for the most part it is not a good way to make extra income. If this is your interest, feel free to PM me and I could put you in touch with them. We just talked about this subject two weeks ago.
Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm sorry to hear that craft sales have gone down in Vermont...Do people still "do" for themselves? Is it common for people to bake their own bread? Do many people grow and "can" their own vegetables...or make preserves etc? How about quilts and afghans and general sewing? Just curious...Thanks for your help. Happy 4th!

Old 07-04-2010, 06:41 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,588,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm sorry to hear that craft sales have gone down in Vermont...Do people still "do" for themselves? Is it common for people to bake their own bread? Do many people grow and "can" their own vegetables...or make preserves etc? How about quilts and afghans and general sewing? Just curious...Thanks for your help. Happy 4th!
Yes to the above, many do, but it will depend somewhat on location.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yes to the above, many do, but it will depend somewhat on location.
Thanks for writing...I'd love to hear what life is like in the Northeast Kingdom in regard to crafts and doing homemade things etc...Thanks for much. If you don't really know about the area that's ok.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:04 PM

190 posts, read 654,875 times
I don't live in the Northeast Kingdom, but just based on location I would guess that crafts are much more popular up there than they are here in southern VT. I think that the more rural you go in VT, the more people are interested in engaging in creative hobbies rather than manufactured fun. Not to stereotype, but the more rural areas have an older population and these people are usually more into weaving, quilting and such than their younger counterparts. Wasn't there a big quilt show up there recently, or I am thinking about something else? I know that a lot of the jams I buy are made up in the Kingdom. It definitely exists. As for me, I love baking my own bread and do so all the time!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonr View Post
I don't live in the Northeast Kingdom, but just based on location I would guess that crafts are much more popular up there than they are here in southern VT. I think that the more rural you go in VT, the more people are interested in engaging in creative hobbies rather than manufactured fun. Not to stereotype, but the more rural areas have an older population and these people are usually more into weaving, quilting and such than their younger counterparts. Wasn't there a big quilt show up there recently, or I am thinking about something else? I know that a lot of the jams I buy are made up in the Kingdom. It definitely exists. As for me, I love baking my own bread and do so all the time!
Thanks for writing....I like your term "manufactured fun." I have never heard it used before.....Did you invent this term yourself or is it a commonly used term in your area? Just curious....It's sad when young people or people of any age feel they have to buy every single thing at stores....I know that time is limited these days....Who has time to cook or make things themselves? But I think we short-change ourselves when we become so dependent on corporations and "store-bought products." We have skills and hidden talents inside of us that can "get lost" because we never challenge ourselves to "do more.".....How do you feel about it? Sorry to go on and on.....Thanks for listening. Great that you enjoy baking your own bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont