Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:50 AM

400 posts, read 850,341 times

Advertisements

I'd take billboards if I could get less potholes and more passing opportunities. That would make my drive more peaceful and relaxing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
I'd take billboards if I could get less potholes and more passing opportunities. That would make my drive more peaceful and relaxing!

Wow, not me. Every time I drive through a state with billboards blighting the landscape, regardless of the road condition, I can't wait to get back to Vermont.

In our home we intentionally go without have TV channels and eschew commercial radio. I prefer not to be bombarded with advertising messages on the roads.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM

986 posts, read 2,336,102 times
Quote:
Come to RI. We have tons of billboards, even digital sign billboards that change what they display on a regular interval, and our roads are a million times worse than VT roads.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,181,324 times
This question has been asked a number of times, so here's what I wrote last time:

"While both states are heavily forested, Vermont is noticeably more agricultural in character, with a lot more open pastureland and farmland. New Hampshire underwent greater industrialization during the 1800s, leading to the development of large "mill towns" along the major rivers. Today, NH has 10 towns and cities with more than 20,000 people, whereas Vermont only has one. The southeastern quadrant of NH near the border with Massachusetts is more suburban in nature, while this kind of density doesn't really exist in VT.

The southeastern quadrant of NH is also relatively flat, while Vermont is almost entirely hilly or mountainous (with the exception of the Champlain Valley). However, the mountains in New Hampshire are more rugged and more prominent. NH also has a greater concentration of lakes, many of them quite large, although they are trumped by VT's Lake Champlain.

Vermont has no coastline. Although small, NH's coastline was the site of some of the earliest settlements in New England and seafaring has always played an important role in the economy. NH's earliest permanent settlements date to the early 1600s, whereas those in VT only date to the mid 1700s (before then, it was still largely contested wilderness), so NH has more surviving colonial architecture.

NH has strong economic and cultural ties to Maine and eastern Massachusetts. Southern NH is on the edge of the Boston metro area and tourists from this area contribute tremendously to the state economy. VT experiences a greater influx of tourists from New York. Linguistically, the native dialect of NH is much closer to that of Maine and eastern MA than to the dialect of (most of) Vermont, which is related to the dialect of western MA and Connecticut.

Politically, Vermont is probably the most consistently liberal-voting state in New England - there is a "crunchy granola" vibe in much of the state. New Hampshire is also socially liberal (compared to most of America, anyway) but very conservative on the economic scale (i.e. libertarian), having no state income tax or sales tax. NH lives up to its "live free or die" motto with no seatbelt or helmet laws for adults, among others. The cultures of both states place a strong emphasis on local business and buying locally, but this is probably more pronounced in Vermont, where the resistance to big box stores like Wal-Mart has been very strong."

To add a few things-

There are plenty of "rednecks," if you will, in both states, but it depends more on what part of the state you're talking about. You'll find way more self-professed hillbillies in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont than you will in the Hanover area or the Keene area in NH. The NASCAR track in NH is in a central location that attracts visitors from all over New England.

Finally, the number of billboards on NH highways is very, very minimal. Of course, once you've driven I-90 in South Dakota, any amount of billboards seems extremely minimal in comparison.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,586 times
Verseau pretty much nailed the high level stuff.

I spend most of my time in the NEK and it has a decidedly conservative non-liberal vibe to it under most conditions, which is why we like it. That being said, there are plenty of people who think they are saving the planet as well, which is also fine.

The Burlington area feels like Central CT met Lake George to me………….not very VT in my opinion.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Verseau pretty much nailed the high level stuff.

I spend most of my time in the NEK and it has a decidedly conservative non-liberal vibe to it under most conditions, which is why we like it. That being said, there are plenty of people who think they are saving the planet as well, which is also fine.

The Burlington area feels like Central CT met Lake George to me………….not very VT in my opinion.
Like many of us say...Burlington is next to Vermont...

Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 AM

400 posts, read 850,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Wow, not me. Every time I drive through a state with billboards blighting the landscape, regardless of the road condition, I can't wait to get back to Vermont.

In our home we intentionally go without have TV channels and eschew commercial radio. I prefer not to be bombarded with advertising messages on the roads.
I'm no fan of billboards, but the roads are awful so I'm willing to try anything at this point.

And we already have billboards anyway, they just have to have politicians names on them only!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
Quote:
I'm no fan of billboards, but the roads are awful so I'm willing to try anything at this point.

And we already have billboards anyway, they just have to have politicians names on them only!
Some of the "Take Back Vermont" signs are pretty big.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:41 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Some of the "Take Back Vermont" signs are pretty big.
Yeah but they're black and white so do they really count?

Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,976 times
but which city in these 2 states would you look at to live in if you were 52 and single?....kids in college in Boston....would love to meet a woman in same situation, am exploring next month and not sure what city(s) would work for me....going out and meeting new people would be important...any advice appreciated....thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont