Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,501,045 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for a while, and I have very frequently read about the tough job market and low salaries in Vermont.

Do these apply to all jobs, or only to certain jobs?

Are there jobs that pay well enough to live off without hardship?

Are there certain skills, trades or professions that are especially marketable?

What about professional jobs like doctor, lawyer, psychotherapist, social worker, teacher, speech pathologist, physical or occupational therapist, engineer, etc.?

What about trades like plumber, electrician, etc.?

What about businesses?

What about home businesses? What about franchises? What about network marketing, e.g. Shaklee, Amway, Discovery Toys, Prepaid Legal, etc.?

What about freelance work such as freelance writing or freelance photography?

What kinds of things do people do in Vermont to supplement wages or salaries?

I'm specifically interested in the Brattleboro area, but all comments about all areas are welcome.

Last edited by arel; 07-24-2007 at 05:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 AM

155 posts, read 614,093 times
My husband is a Hotel Mgr with about 6 yrs exp. in his field. He has already talked to a few (I think 8 at this point) places that have had job openings for what he does. They all offered at least the same and in most cases more then what is offered in our area. We also live in an area (sub. of Baltimore, MD) with a much higher cost of living then Burlington VT now too. So in our case I know we will have the same if not more money then we have now. As long as there is a job opening at the right time and he is chosen to fill it. We want to move for a better quality of life for our children, not really to have more money. The Burlington area and most of Vermont I think gets by based on tourism/travel so anything in that field should be good. I am not sure about how the more rural areas compare however.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
I would assume that in the resort areas, construction is probably a good business to get into. I don't think there is lack of work, and they definitely get paid well (at least from what I've heard/experienced). Out of towners have the money and are willing to spend it.

I would imagine another industry that does okay is the wedding business - again, a lot of out of towners doing the weekend wedding...of course, for every place that charges more than average there are probably two or three that charge average or below average...(we're planning on getting married in VT, so I've been doing a lot of research and some of the places are even more expensive than what I've seen in NYC!).

Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,501,045 times
Unfortunately, things are largely as expensive in Brattleboro as they are in Brooklyn. The health club there costs a little less than an almost comparably equipped one here and more than a small one here. The Y in Keene closts over 50% more than the Y near my home. I was shocked at how expensive it is to go to the Colonial Inn and Spa. They have a lap pool (with no lifeguard) which is open to the public, and some other modest amenities.

Housing is expensive. Rents are high, although probably not as high as in NYC. Real estate taxes are high. Food is high. I don't know about insurance, but I would think it would be lower than in NYC.

In my field, clinical social work, pay is usually low at clinics. But private practitioners in the area have told me they can make a decent living. Interestingly, there are tons of psychotherapists in Brattleboro. So maybe a lot of people want therapy and therapists are attracted. But in such a small town, I would think there would be competition for such a small population. Someone in Windsor County has urged me to work in Windsor County, because there are so many therapists in Brattleboro!

Old 07-24-2007, 12:41 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
I think the problem, especially with health clubs, is that there is so little competition. In NYC, you've got a zillion health clubs, nail salons, restaurants, etc...though there are many high end services offered, you can generally find a much cheaper provider of whatever you need since there is so much of everything.

When there are only one or two health clubs in a town, and very few residents (don't forget in NYC, it's all about sales - they'll sell as many memberships as they possibly can, and a lot of people don't actually use their membership) prices will be high. I've found this to be the case in many towns in NE.

Job wise, yeah, pay is definitely lower. I'm lucky that I can work for my company from anywhere (as long as I have high speed internet and Fed Ex) but I'm expanding my skills (I'm a graphic designer) just in case!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 PM

100 posts, read 381,562 times
Wow Arel you have alot of questions.

Might be easier to answer if we knew what field of work you are in?

My DH is a woodworker and has made an okay salary, not as much as he would be making in CT but it's enough to pay the bills but things are tight.

I came here as an RN and couldn't find work. Well the visiting nurses wanted to pay me $12 when i had been making $25 so i decided to work at the Co-op instead.

The rents in Bratt are a bit disproportionate with the incomes here but they are not through the roof.

Some folks here have 2 or 3 jobs to get by. Many people work for themselves. Some folks seem to be independently wealthy and don't need to work.

The weekend paper has about 2-3 pages of want ads, that's it.

Most folks here don't belong to the health club cause there are plenty of outdoor activities to keep one fit.

Food costs, I was spending much more for food in CT than i do here. And there are lots of local and organic food choices here, which is wonderful.

Does this help?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 PM

[quote=tkln;1130150]I would assume that in the resort areas, construction is probably a good business to get into. I don't think there is lack of work, and they definitely get paid well (at least from what I've heard/experienced). QUOTE]

Not a whole lot of construction going on here but there is a market for anyone who can do home repairs, handy man type stuff.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:08 PM

[quote=arel;1132355]

I don't know about insurance, but I would think it would be lower than in NYC.

QUOTE]

Insurance is much cheaper here, very low crime.
Gas is cheaper.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont08 View Post
The Burlington area and most of Vermont I think gets by based on tourism/travel so anything in that field should be good. I am not sure about how the more rural areas compare however.
Most of life here depends heavily on tourists, directly or indirectly.

Unfortunately the winter season has been changing and has definitely impacted the economy here in VT. No snow, no tourists.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLady321 View Post
Wow Arel you have alot of questions.

Might be easier to answer if we knew what field of work you are in?

My DH is a woodworker and has made an okay salary, not as much as he would be making in CT but it's enough to pay the bills but things are tight.

I came here as an RN and couldn't find work. Well the visiting nurses wanted to pay me $12 when i had been making $25 so i decided to work at the Co-op instead.

The rents in Bratt are a bit disproportionate with the incomes here but they are not through the roof.

Some folks here have 2 or 3 jobs to get by. Many people work for themselves. Some folks seem to be independently wealthy and don't need to work.

The weekend paper has about 2-3 pages of want ads, that's it.

Most folks here don't belong to the health club cause there are plenty of outdoor activities to keep one fit.

Food costs, I was spending much more for food in CT than i do here. And there are lots of local and organic food choices here, which is wonderful.

Does this help?
Clinical social worker. Second post, last paragraph.

BTW, 12 bucks for an RN is pitiful and insulting. Surely they were kidding...or blitzed on drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont