Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I spent a good part of yesterday snowblowing my road so I could get out of my cabin back to civilization to be with my family. And at least an hour everyday all week, often more, raking snow off the roof and shoveling the porches. Makes construction projects a bit hard. I could do without anymore snow after the end of this month.

Been a while since we had a month like this. Hope you get your break soon. Actually.. if you're with family for the weekend, You might not be able to make it back to the cabin at this rate. How much did you get today?

2:10pm map today with temps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 PM

BTW -- Wanted to remind you guys. CoCoRaHS is always looking for volunteers. Let me or a state coordinator know if you have any questions. All you need is an official gauge, trust, and to report your OBS everyday at 7am. (It takes a couple minutes) (Seconds if theres no snow or precip)

I think there's 52 people in entire state that do it. Could always use more to fill in the gaps. NWS, River Drought monitoring companies use your info. Its helpful.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:55 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Ohhhh...this sound interesting. What is involved? I don't know much about the technical stuff but love the weather...

Old 12-22-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Ohhhh...this sound interesting. What is involved? I don't know much about the technical stuff but love the weather...
Really just looking at your gauge every morning and reporting it through the site.. or app.

I use 7am each day because it fits my schedule. anywhere between 6-9am is fine. NWS usually looks at the reports within those times... You have to empty the gauge every morning as well if it rained or snowed.. We do 24hr reports.

Gets more involved when there's snow and ice because you have to bring in the gauge and melt the contents to get the liquid amount. You should also should measure the snowfall and report the snow total and also whats on the ground your OBS time. Not everyone does it but it's very cool to have on file and help others see what fell where. Lastly, SWE. Not everyone does this. Takes the most time. Taking a core from the ground every other day and melting that to report how much liquid is sitting on the ground in the form of snow.

It's all really fun and easy to do. And best of all you get to have official logs of your entries over time. I wish I started decades ago..

First step is to fill out that application and the regional coordinator will probably get in touch with you by email. Second step is to get the official rain gauge.

Lastly... All the dots are all the volunteers and stations in Vermont reporting. Be nice to fill in the gaps but even if there's someone near you, you will be amazed how different your location can be with precip and snowfall.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Thank you very much for this Cambium...there's definitely a couple very close by (which I knew from checking the spotter reports) but I might apply anyway. Kind of neat!!

Old 12-22-2017, 06:47 PM

This is for the Christmas storm after the ice and rain tomorrow.

Snow starts Sunday night, ends Christmas afternoon.

Source:

Old 12-23-2017, 06:19 AM

There is so. much. snow.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
There is so. much. snow.
Crazy! Any idea what your at now? Let me grab some reports

Im planning on coming up to snowmobile soon. Been tough past couple yrs planning it out but this yr sems easier. No melting to 0 between the snows. Lol

Old 12-23-2017, 06:56 AM

From the CoCoRaHS Network check out Washington County. 7-12" past 24hrs alone.

Sorted by snowfall amounts.. Remember, its only a 24hr report from time of observation unless noted. Also note, some people melted the new snowfall.

In Waterbury 11.6" of new snow melted to 0.52" liquid! That's like 21:1 ratios! Fluff stuff! 14" of snow on the ground at 6am.

You have the ability to make a comment with each report. Cool to read.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:49 AM

What a mess. Looks like it changes to ice and rain today. Then enjoy the break in action because snow starts again Sunday late evening and continues into Christmas day. So another half foot new snow possible on Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont