Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times

Advertisements

I used to commute it from Wby up to Ft. Ethan Allen, so my general impression of the time involved may be a little off. However, the actual trip on the Interstate is not generally the problem. With emergencies, it is the "door to door" time that counts, and you want to base that on moderately bad conditions - rain, snow, traffic. Just the exit off the interstate at the Holiday Inn and trip over the hill to the hospital can take ten minutes on a bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,348,076 times
My experience with Vermont's racial climate is limited but positive. When my daughter was about 13 or so, she brought a friend from Harlem to vacation for a few days... never got a second look. This was around Windsor & Woodstock.

The lack of jobs is not overstated. If I was in the trades, I think someone who hustles could make a living if they invested in a Dump truck with a plow and a bobcat with a trailer. I've even been on craigslist looking for someone who does cleanouts (a whole other story about renting grrrrrr.) and there's almost no one doing that either.

The number of people living at what looks like a welfare level is shocking. You have this beautiful countryside and historic town greens with pockets of run down homes filled with run down people in raggedy cars.

I personally like Woodstock (pricey) and the towns south of it in Windsor County (less pricey). They're rural, somewhat affordable, not too far from White River Junction, Rte's 91 and 89.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,379,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew_ View Post
I just had 2 or 3 other questions- Are there any areas or industries where a certain type of worker is needed? For example is there a need for teachers, or plumbers, or whatever in a particular area- or any area?

How difficult is it to start a business there? Is there a particular need for any type of business?

Anyone have any thoughts on Waterbury? And how far is it from Burlington or another town with a hospital?
Thanks again in advance for all of your help!
Last time I looked - and I admit it's been a while - healthcare professionals could practically write their own ticket. RNs and radiologists were not only getting hired, they were getting sign on bonuses.

Another thought, fuel oil / P&H companies seem to be looking for employees who know which end of the wrench to grab and have a decent work ethic. If hubby is a plumber or certified boiler tech he could hang out a shingle or get a job with a fuel oil company.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM

444 posts, read 789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew_ View Post
What I envision in my head is a quaint sort of liberal town with a few shops, places to eat, etc. Maybe someplace that has a farmer's market or whole-town activities.
I'll put in a plug for Middlebury. I just moved here from Illinois and it seems to be fine. My requirements are a little different from yours because I'm retired, but Middlebury may also meet yours. Middlebury has a lot to offer for a town of about 8000. Some of that has do with the presence of a very good college, some of it (I think) is because this part of Vermont attracts progressives, and some of it is the natural beauty and rural quality of Addison County. All of the things on your list are here; there is a local hospital, and the Burlington hospital is about an hour away.

I chose Middlebury over Burlington partly because it's less developed, there are no Interstates, and it isn't quite the mecca for trendy people. But as you'll note throughout this forum, making money in Vermont is no easy matter for most, with many holding multiple jobs just to support themselves and their families.

One other thing: the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference is here every summer and draws lots of top people from the writing profession.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 PM

30 posts, read 60,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Last time I looked - and I admit it's been a while - healthcare professionals could practically write their own ticket. RNs and radiologists were not only getting hired, they were getting sign on bonuses.

Another thought, fuel oil / P&H companies seem to be looking for employees who know which end of the wrench to grab and have a decent work ethic. If hubby is a plumber or certified boiler tech he could hang out a shingle or get a job with a fuel oil company.
Well, that's encouraging at least. Hubby IS a plumber. And before I gave up my career to have kids and became a freelance writer, I was in healthcare.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM

I will look into Middlebury. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,004 times
several things to consider. For employment, if your writing job can go with you, stick with it for now. I work in healthcare and the climate has and is changing. If hospital work is what you desire, that type of job is starting to dry up. With the new healthcare reforms and the higher taxes the state wants to impose on hospitals, healthcare institutions may actually decrease staff levels. DHMC is in this situation no with the pending tax hike on NH hospitals. Home health is where the majority of jobs will be located. As far as work in plumbing, the further you get from a developed area, ie Burlington, Montpelier, Rutland, etc, the few jobs and less work unless you husband is willing to commute. The recession is still effecting the trades here. My stepson is in and out of work in the Burlington area because this. It is better than a year or two ago, but not even close to the boom years. If you will need your husbands income to live on, he needs a job before you move and have him be up front with whoever hires him. He needs to say that he is moving his family and needs a reliable source of income. Some contractors get a big job or two, they hire the help to get the jobs done and then let the new hires go because they don't have the work for them.
With your childrens healthcare, you need to feel comfortable with where you live. I don't know their conditions, but also know the healthcare system in Vermont is not like most states. Outside of Bulington or DHMC, the hospitals are essentially very small community hospitals the have no specialties. In many cases the hospitals are 20 or fewer beds. There will be pediatricians, but you will have a limited choice in who you see. It all comes down to population size. The state has fewer and fewer children and the docs settle down in the larger population areas of the state. Also, some practices become full and they don't accept new patients. You will always find someone, but it may not be your first choice. These are additional things to consider and have in place before you move.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 PM

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to discuss this with me. Like I said, every time someone mentions town that might be a good fit, I do some research on it, so please feel free to suggest away.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 21,128 times
If you go to the Brattleboro farmers Market you will see lots of diversity. Good schools are in Marlboro Vt K-8. Marlboro College is there. Also I-91 has 3 Brattleboro exits. Brattelboro has lots of ethnic restuarants, is less than an hour away from very diverse Northampton/Amherst Ma the five college area. You are 1.5 hrs Hartford airport. Jobs in five college area and Keene NH. If your husband is skilled in carpentry, electrician, or plumber they are in demand.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 21,128 times
To add on Marlboro, it is a small rural town with lots of outdoor things to do and winter is gorgeous. Hogback Mt. is in the town and Mt. snow is nearby. But for shopping people go to Brattleboro. If they done' work at the college here they work in Brattleboro or Keene NH or south to Greenfield MA/Northampton areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont