Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,893 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call the state a dump. The reality is that people fall in love with Vermont because of vacations here. There is a reason for that, tourism is Vermont's number one industry. I had the same experience when I lived out of state. To live here you have to be willing to make sacrifices to make ends meet. Unless people can bring jobs/money with them. Several state agencies have shown that incomes have been stagnant for the past decade while all other expenses have continued to increase each year. I think people, especially those that have been here for over a decade are getting very frustrated with Vermont's fiscal/economic situation. This is a great place to live. Each person who moves here can only decide for themselves if the move will work or not. You have to leave vacation experiences to the side. Living in Vermont and vacationing in Vermont are two very different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM

30 posts, read 60,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I'm stuck here because of a house I inherited and another that I bought when I had money to invest and rental real estate looked better than the stock market.

As soon as they are sold I'm out.

Any idea where you might go?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM

So let me try this a different way- for those Vermonters who do not suggest moving to Vermont for the variety of reasons mentioned in these many posts- do any of you have alternate suggestions for relocation. Keeping in mind that the things that we like most about Vermont are the mountains, the scenery, the climate, the relaxed pace, the healthy outdoorsy lifestyle, etc.

On a totally different note. Can anyone provide any thoughts on Rutland?And what s the difference between Rutland, Rutland Town, and Rutland City?

Thanks as usual.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,138,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew_ View Post
On a totally different note. Can anyone provide any thoughts on Rutland?And what s the difference between Rutland, Rutland Town, and Rutland City?
I've lived in Rutland City since 1997. What would you like to know?

Rutland can refer to Rutland Town and Rutland City collectively, or just the city. People who live in Rutland Town have "Rutland, VT 05701" on their mail. In parts you can't tell when you've crossed the boundary between the two, but taxes and services are different.

Rutland City has the downtown. Rutland Town has more rural areas, but also big box strip malls and the dinosaur of an indoor mall which at least now has a nice ice skating arena.

If you search "Rutland" in this forum, there's been lots of discussion.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,792 times
Quote:
Any idea where you might go?
We're headed to the Florida panhandle. Hopefully we'll be there in a couple of years. Yes we like the scenery, the laid back lifestyle, the colors etc in northern New England. But frankly I've seen enough snow to last me three lifetimes. I know I won't miss the four seasons.

We've found an area in the panhandle that is also laid back and we plan to trade mountains and snow for water and warmth. There is no such thing as it being too hot for either hubby and me. As he says, you don't have to shovel warm.

Are there things about Vermont (and NH) I'll miss? Sure. But you pays your money and you takes your choices. Hubby and I will take our businesses and livelihoods with us. Like NH, FL has no state income tax.

If we were rich we'd probably become snowbirds and take the best of both worlds, but we would not have property in VT.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:25 PM

I lived In Florida as a kid. I liked it. We have lots of family and friends there. They are having a very tough time with their economy as well right now though.
We could never live there ourselves though. My husband hates the beach and the heat. And I would miss the seasons way too much.
Best of luck to you.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Does anyone know what "Snow and Clay" is? Apparently it is something/somewhere in Vermont?!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I've lived in Rutland City since 1997. What would you like to know?
Just a basic rundown I guess. How big is it? What is the environment like? Good for children? How are the schools? I guess all of the usual things one might want to know when considering a potential relocation.
I will take a look at some of the other posts as well, thanks!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,138,023 times
Quote:
Does anyone know what "Snow and Clay" is? Apparently it is something/somewhere in Vermont?!
I've never heard of it. Googling it gets me this:
http://www.manta.com/c/mm2lkcv/snow-...velopment-corp

Quote:
Just a basic rundown I guess. How big is it? What is the environment like?

Facts:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Rutland-Vermont.html

People here have asked about the differences between Rutland City and Rutland Town. You can click on each here to find out:

Rutland, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce has all sorts of info:
Welcome to Rutland Vermont, your guide to the Rutland and Killington Regions. Sponsored by the Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce.

Quote:
Good for children? How are the schools?

My children are feline so I'll let someone else address this.

Quote:
I guess all of the usual things one might want to know when considering a potential relocation.!
Can you tell us some about where you're moving from, what you seek, and what your priorities are? If I were considering relocation, I'd want to know about farmers markets, co-ops, vegan-friendly restaurants and businesses, companion animal shelters/programs, veterinarians, libraries, independent bookstores, contra dances, places to do aerobics, opportunities to get involved with community projects I believe in, and more. (We've got all those things, by the way.) What would you want to know?

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 12-03-2011 at 07:06 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,666,893 times
Quote:
So let me try this a different way- for those Vermonters who do not suggest moving to Vermont for the variety of reasons mentioned in these many posts- do any of you have alternate suggestions for relocation. Keeping in mind that the things that we like most about Vermont are the mountains, the scenery, the climate, the relaxed pace, the healthy outdoorsy lifestyle, etc.
There are a few alternatives to look at. The first that comes to mind is Colorado. Has everything Vermont has and then some. They are the healthiest state in the country by a long shot. They have the lowest obesity rate and they are also the most fitness oriented state in the country (this goes hand in hand).
Another option is Utah. I was just at a healthcare collaborative dealing with issues we are and will be facing with the expense of our healthcare system and Utah not only has the best healthcare system in the US, it is the best healthcare system in the world. This is important because the citizens of Utah don't have to pay the huge fees and taxes (on a state level) other states have to pay with average healthcare. The Vt economy is in the bottom quartile in the US and could not sustain a singlepayer mechanism that provides high quality care on its own, without tax hikes or care restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont