Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 AM

74 posts, read 348,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I'm assuming Fletcher Allen. I'm not sure I'd call it one of the best in the US. It's adequate, but not what I would call stellar.
That's what I thought, too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 15,897 times
Default How are the businesses in both B's

Twice now I had ventured to Bennington and Brattleboro,in seeking a place to settle in and start up a business,when wanting to know something,they say,ask the locals.....so,do the residents prefer,big named stores or small specialty stores.....Also,what are the job fields like,say if your an Engineer or surveyor?Is there more to Bennington,then that which meets the eye,while it is great to have tourist info,what is the word,from those that live there?and,also,is it pet friendly?Does it offer a place to take your pets,venues for pets,can one take pets into local stores,outdoor eateries,parks?Though I have yet to check out Burlington,or Montpelier,I had ventured to Wilmington,and found that is more a tourist town.... I had also driven towards Albany,and Troy,ruling out Troy.....

Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,511,021 times
I didn't realize that Wilmington was a tourist town. I was there this summer. I saw the town beach at Lake Raponda. Beautiful, serene lake. I didn't see the rest of the town, though.

I think most of the shoreline is private lakefront property.

BTW, is it true that some people actually commute from Burlington to NYC via Jet Blue? I've read of the "Jet Blue effect", but I can't imagine commuting between the two cities. That's almost $160 a day in commuting costs. Unless you are a bigwig on Wall Street, I can't imagine affording that. Also, it takes about an hour to get from JFK to Manhattan on public transportation, and not much less if you take a taxi. And then there are the waiting times at both airports, due to security, delays and whatever else.

It sounds like a big headache to me, but I would imagine that if you want a Wall Street salary and want to live in Burlington, it could be done. If the trade-off were enough, it might be worth it. It wouldn't be that hard if you worked by JFK airport, either. I suppose that if you worked for an airline, the flights would be free. And perhaps other employers would be willing to pay for the commute, if the employees were valuable enough.

Last edited by arel; 09-13-2007 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,647 times
The folks who do the commute typically stay in the City for 3 or 4 days, then fly back. I know a family that does this. Her company puts her in corporate housing (or something along those lines) for the 3 nights she's in the City.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 AM

I've heard of people condensing full-time jobs into 3-4 days, and also of doing so out of town. I even know someone who lives in NYC and works, or at least did work, at a job in Baltimore.

Sounds rough, if you are doing it out of town, unless you love both places and/or want to spend some time away from home. In town, it can be great.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,866,614 times
Flying from BVT to LGA/JFK for those financially endowed is not a big deal. Afterall, who do you really think owns the most premium of the McMansions tucked away here and there in Vt. Just look at all of the NYC commuters who actually drive everyday from locales upstate and from even the Poconos of Pa which takes longer than flying from here. The airport in Burlington makes the area a choice location for those that have to travel on business or that can and do fly frequently for pleasure.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 AM

It would be nice to be financially endowed enough to do that.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,647 times
There seems to be a high percentage of these NYC commuters that live in Shelburne & Charlotte (i.e. "mcmansion" central).

Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,843,064 times
Wilmington is a tourist town because of skiing....Mt Snow..500,000 skier visits per winter and Haystack, currently shut down trying to go upscale.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM

226 posts, read 694,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
:eek
It's not 20-25 below for the entire weeks, it just hits 20 below (factoring in windchill) at some point during the day/night. Goretex and no exposed skin is the answer to these woes though. I walked to work every day last winter, barring a couple days it was so cold I didn't have adequate leg coverage. But yes, if you plan to live in Vermont, know that cold weather is the price you'll pay. Invest in a coat rated to -20'F. (LL Bean has some good ones that only run about $114 when they're on sale.) Invest in several pairs of good, sturdy, warm, waterproof gloves and mittens. If they feel too warm in the store, they're probably perfect. Lastly, invest in some thick socks and waterproof boots.* Don't buy the boots unless they have good, nonslip soles and a tread on them. Doc Martens aren't good for snow as the material with which they make their soles is slippery on ice and your feet can go right out from under you.

Don't worry, once you're here, you'll learn the tricks of the trade and adapt to the weather (I never thought I'd think that 20'F was 'warm', but your body really will adapt to the cold). You can put on your outdoor gear and get a little too warm before you head outdoors. Many people have automatic starters to warm their cars before they go to them. Also, I refuse to live in a rural area b/c I don't like shoveling as much snow as is required. I would much rather shovel my own walk and rely on the city for the streets.

*(Snowshoes can also make the commute more fun.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont