Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times

Advertisements

Was over at Groton St Park tonight and it was very chilly, probably be in the 30's in the morning. Was very surprised to see that it was 10 degrees warmer at my place in the high peaks. Groton is 10 miles from the Conn River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:23 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
I've been noticing the cooler nights lately too. There are Maples all around here (NEK) that are starting to change color. Even the crickets are still this evening. But there were lots of wasps to keep me company while scraping paint off my barn today. They seem to enjoy a warm surface in the afternoon sun. Fall's coming.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
When is your peak color most years. We were planning a trip to Hancock, MA, but cancelled for this year in favor of Fairfield Glade, Tennessee. I can tell you that if you want to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway almost any week in October will have some color, but the second and third weeks are usually the best.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:32 AM

If your in the tourist business in Vermont you want peak to happen on Columbus Day weekend but of course it depends on mother nature. Peak is usually around Oct 15th but northern Vt can be a week before and southern Vt a week later.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
October 15th is typically the end of the VT foliage season, unless global warming made big changes in the 3 years I've been gone Generally leaves begin to peak in the Champlain Valley during the last week of September to the first two weeks of October. If it were me I'd target October 7th-ish for a visit.

I'm a Virginian living along the southern spine of the Blue Ridge - the same Appalachian mountain range that is known as the Green Mountains of Vermont. I think foliage season along the entire range is just amazing. I could envision a retiree traveling from Northern VT to SW Virginia along the mountain range, beginning the last week of September and doing the B&B thing every 100 miles or so, timing it so that Roanoke, VA is reached by the last week of October. Our colors in Boones Mill keep going until about mid-November.

Sean

Old 09-03-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
October 15th is typically the end of the VT foliage season, unless global warming made big changes in the 3 years I've been gone Generally leaves begin to peak in the Champlain Valley during the last week of September to the first two weeks of October. If it were me I'd target October 7th-ish for a visit.

Sean
Oct 7th-ish would be perfect as Columbus Day weekend is early this year but everyone wants to be here when the color peaks...last year it was Oct 12th... the chamber has a contest every year to predict peak. Truthfully it depends on where you are at. As I mentioned mother nature can change everything.

The state botanist was just on the news the other night and global warming is having an effect on things. He said foliage season for the last few years been inconsistant, a couple of years have been not so great whereas before global warming it was consistantly great every year. Same with the snow in the winter for skiing.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:30 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
I think it's actually more beautiful, although less dramatic, before peak.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
We may have a very quick season this year. Lots of trees around my way are changing now. It has been extremely dry over the last month and this will have an effect as well. If this continues and then we get a blast of wet and windy weather much of the foliage will be gone quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont