Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,980,223 times

Advertisements

Whereever you live, you adapt and make the best of it or **** and moan about how much you hate it. There's a somewhere for everyone, but until you experience a lot of places, you'll never know when you find " home". Come give it a chance! You might find Vermont is your home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM

20 posts, read 60,307 times
wow thanx for all the replys I will use all this information to our advantage =] But the best way to find out is actual first hand experiance..that is baby steps of course im still going to research as much as possible before I make a move.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 7,925 times
Much of what is said I agree and is true. I have lived in Vermont pretty much all my life asides a year in Lexington,KY when I was 15 and almost a year in Hollywood Fla when i was 27.

I would like to point out some of the good aspects that were missed and a different outlook.
I always come home , I visited my sister in North Carolina a few years back and considered moving there.
I have children and on my way back the one thing that I most remember and missed about New England was about when you hit rural NY do you start to see more children playing outside. In North Carolina I didn't see alot of kids playing outside obviously because of heat,crime,bugs etc..
It is cold here , but if your a hard worker, many work better in moderate temps rather than too hot. I do like snow, however I don't like when its so cold it hurts.
My sister lives in A/C along the same lines that we use heat in the winter.
I lived in Hollywood ,Fla almost a year and its kinda breezy there and the whole place is setup with A/C and the heat isn't much of a bother. In Vermont if it hits 80-90f people are dying, the humidity is worse than Florida at same temps and you sweat buckets.

I love driving and I like extreme weather driving and in Vermont you are able to do so without 4 lanes of traffic for the most part, nothing like a quiet ride home and not bumper-bumper. Much more freedom.

The rain in the south rains so hard , it tops our snowstorms, at least in the snow you are able to make out some snowbanks or a path but even if you miss a lil your not likely to die.
We have hardly any natural disasters and its pretty safe around here. Asides a cow,moose or deer in the road the most that usually could happen is when we have "Ice Storm" just that the snow is so heavy it knocks down trees and powerlines and some have gone without power for weeks in inclimate weather.

And Vermonters have their attitude I suppose but when I lived in Florida I pulled over to help a motorist and they were scared and wanted Police, just seems in Vermont people tend to help each other and you wouldn't leave a motorist stranded , however that is fading.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:34 AM

216 posts, read 567,571 times
[quote=Chadd1014;27060962]https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...l-vermont.html

New England is a vastly different lifestyle and culture. Right now you're hot and sweaty and so naturally you're thinking of moving to a place with a cold climate but think about this for a second... This is coming from someone who had to get acclimated to winters, albeit much milder ones than in VT, you are going to go from a place where people practically live outdoors to a place where 9 months of the year are spent indoors. Think about that for a second. Just let it sink in.

Winter: Skiing, snowmobiling, ice-fishing
Spring/Summer: Hiking, fishing, lakes, mountain biking, motorcycle riding
Fall: Foliage, hunting, hiking, mountain biking

Set your thermostat to 65 degrees and let your place cool down and try to envision spending almost the entire year at that temperature INDOORS because that as warm as you can get it or as warm as you can afford to keep it. TRy to get in the routine of hourly lube-downs with moisturizer to combat the dry skin and itchiness from having the heat on all the time.

Better yet, live in Florida and carry a spray bottle filled with water and mist yourself down every 5 seconds to feel the effects of humidity. Try dressing in a suit or formal dress for a wedding or special occasion and each time you walk outside you feel like your on fire.

Aside from that, have you ever seen sunshine in New England? Have you ever wondered if the sun even shines in new england?

The sun shines in FL everyday, true. Except for the rainy season when the sky turns black as night and you get thunderstorms and torrential rain. The sun shines today, tomorrow, the next day, the day after that, and after that, and after that. Many transplants down here yearn for a cloudy day to break up the monotony.

New england summers are lovely. There is no debating that but I was there during mid July and it was 55 degrees out! I know people that live there will swear it gets hot and sunny but come on. Between one Florida native to another, they don't know what heat is up there.

If you love 90 days or more of 95+ degrees with a heat index of 105 degrees and UV index of 14, New England isn't for you. I've seen 95 degrees in Connecticut many times, a few days here and there. Not 4 months straight!

You're going from a place with endless diversity to a place that's.... let's just be frank... there's no diversity.

This one cracks me up. Diversity, what is so diverse about endless flat, and I mean FLAT, landscape cluttered with chain restaurants and shopping malls as far as the eye can see. Divided highways with traffic lights every 50 yards and bumper to bumper traffic. Diverse? Can you take a ride down a old winding country road in FL and come across a picturesque village with an old church or an old farmhouse. Nope

One thing you will never hear me complain about are native Floridians. They are the friendliest bunch of folks. I know you probably don't see that right now, but you will after you move. Florida is a friendly place but unfortunately for me, on my list of things that I was unhappy about I mistakenly wrote "Tired of the rat race" when in fact I was quite pleased with the race race. I loved the faster paced way of life here in Atlanta. What I didn't like however were the people here are not as friendly. 6 months later I had my house on the market and I was moving back to atlanta.

Floridians are about the worst people I've ever encountered. People on vacation say how nice everyone is, I thought so when we vacationed here. But when you work in hospitality, which everyone seems to do here, it's there job to be nice. Everyone else is rude, uncaring, and sociopathic. They could care less about you whether your driving down the road, or behind them in line at the grocery store. To them, you are "in their way". I actually had a guy in front of me at the self-checkout isle at Sam's club the other day stop in the middle of checking out and go to the bathroom! I had my 2 year old with me, who was starting to act up, and the man pretended like it was no big deal. I understand nature calls last minute at times for some, but you can't even say sorry? New Englanders are generally stoic. We tend not to be overly excited and outgoingly friendly but we also aren't rude and uncaring. I never saw road rage very often in CT. Here, it happens daily. I lived in 4 different towns in CT. Each time, within a few days, I knew all my neighbors. As a kid spending weekends with my parents at our families cabin in Vermont, we knew all the neighbors and practically everyone in the whole town! I've been living in Florida 2 years and only met one of my neighbors so far.

As a New England transplant living in Florida, I could go on and on with my comments but I don't want to take up a entire page as this poster did. Basically, we hate Florida and can't wait to get out of here. In my honest opinion, Vermont would not be the place for you. New England and New Englanders might not be the place for native Floridians. I've seen many southerners move to Connecticut only to move out soon after. A cousin of mine and his family, born and raised in Kentucky, tried it and hated living in CT. We have are own way of life, our own attitudes, and our quirks. Just as Southerners, Mid-Westerners, and Californians do. For us as life long New Englanders, Florida is our "square peg, round hole". We just don't fit. You might experience the same thing living in Vermont. Maybe a move to the mid south, like Georgia might serve your needs better.

Last edited by mikeandaija2009; 12-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,676,039 times
[quote=mikeandaija2009;27412624]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...l-vermont.html

You're going from a place with endless diversity to a place that's.... let's just be frank... there's no diversity.

This one cracks me up. Diversity, what is so diverse about endless flat, and I mean FLAT, landscape cluttered with chain restaurants and shopping malls as far as the eye can see. Divided highways with traffic lights every 50 yards and bumper to bumper traffic. Diverse? Can you take a ride down a old winding country road in FL and come across a picturesque village with an old church or an old farmhouse. Nope
I think you are interpreting this comment the wrong way. What diversity means in this posters comment is cultural diversity not landscape diversity. Vermont is known as one of the "white" states. For people who enjoy living with or around other cultures, Vermont is probably one of the last states one would want to live.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,694 times
[quote=68vette;27424038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post

I think you are interpreting this comment the wrong way. What diversity means in this posters comment is cultural diversity not landscape diversity. Vermont is known as one of the "white" states. For people who enjoy living with or around other cultures, Vermont is probably one of the last states one would want to live.

My impression was that the poster gets it perfectly. I love cultural diversity, have lived in Miami, New York City, and Boston, and I intend Vermont to be my home for the rest of my life. I'm a South Florida native who would never return there. Aside from being horribly uncomfortable in tropical weather, South Florida's monolithic paved, crowded nightmare of franchise chains, traffic, and stress rendered the cultural diversity almost impossible for me to enjoy.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 AM

[quote=68vette;27424038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post

I honestly have found no cultural diversity here at all. Unless you count the occasional Cuban or Thai food restaurant sandwiched in between the thousands of Applebees, TGI Fridays, and so on. Brattleboro, Montpelier, and Burlington, are far more culturally diverse than Florida. Just because Fl has more of an ethnically diverse population than other parts of the country, doesn't necessarily make it more culturally diverse. Florida is still the birthplace of the wealthy white retiree, and on the flip side to that poverty, homelessness, and crime are rampant here. I see it driving down the road everyday. On one end of town, all you see are gates. Gated communities and driveways, at the end of those drives sit giant, beautiful homes with palm trees and perfectly manicured lawns. At the other end of town is the opposite. Run down houses, homeless people, areas that you are warned to never go into after dark. It is really a stark contrast and not cultural diversity.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 AM

20 posts, read 60,307 times
Well with great consideration on our side we have decided to transplant to colorado due to the fact of a job offer thanx for the helpful tips and the ins and outs - the Clarks

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark1372 View Post
Well with great consideration on our side we have decided to transplant to colorado due to the fact of a job offer thanx for the helpful tips and the ins and outs - the Clarks
Good luck to you. I don't know much about Colorado but a cousin of mine from Northern Maine (talk about isolation!) moved with her husband and kids due to her husbands job transfer a while back. She moved outside of Loveland I believe. She absolutely loves it there and would never consider moving back east.

Another person who gets to leave Florida! I'm jealous!!!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,630,398 times
Quote:
South Florida's monolithic paved, crowded nightmare of franchise chains, traffic, and stress rendered the cultural diversity almost impossible for me to enjoy.

Same here for Texas, same situation. That is why I vacation in Vermont every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont