Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 AM

129 posts, read 235,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGirl66 View Post
Can you educate me on heating? I've seen places advertised with fuel oil, propane or pellet stove. What are the advantages and estimated cost of each?

I appreciate any input.
All other things equal, pellet stoves are cheapest, then propane, then fuel oil. Your results may vary based on on condition/age of the heat source, the quality of insulation in your home, or fluctuations in market prices.

If the home isn't well insulated, you'll be hit with a big heating bill regardless of what your source of heat is. Heating bills of $500/month during the cold months aren't uncommon around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Can you really only get your place warmed up to 65 degrees in the winter?

My brother keeps his house at 55. It is all in what you get used to. If you have hypothroidism, get it taken care of first.
Lower temps means slightly higher humidity. Coming from Florida, you'll have chapped lips and everything else in winter. If you keep your place at 75, my bet is you'll have more colds.
This is actually a pretty important point. You NEED a humidifier if you are coming from Florida. Maybe a couple. In the winter, the cold air doesn't hold much moisture. When you heat the air up from 0 degrees to 60, it expands considerably, and now contains less moisture per cubic unit than it did at 0 degrees. This REALLY dries out your skin, lips, and most importantly nose. When your nose dries out, you'll have a hard time fighting infection (mucous traps germs) and you will get sick. A lot. I learned the hard way.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM

12 posts, read 17,886 times
Thanks Harry for the input. I really appreciate it!

AmIlost, $500/month for heat? How do people stay warm up there? No way I can afford $500/month for heat. I have read some of your other comments and topics. You and your family were unhappy in Vermont when you first moved there. How are you feeling about it now?
Is a pellet stove portable? Or is it installed? I will definitely be a renter for at least the first year.
Thanks for emphasizing the need for a humidifier. Any thoughts about cell phone service, internet?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:00 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,386,008 times
Hey, we save a lot on air conditioning. Most homes don't even have a/c.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM

LOL FrugalYankee - quite right! But my total electric for 12 months is $1500.00. That includes all kitchen appliances, washer & dryer, water heater, air conditioning and everything else in a household. So blowing a years budget on three months of heating alone does give me cause to pause. By the way, I like your tag - Redneck in Training.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGirl66 View Post
Thanks Harry for the input. I really appreciate it!

AmIlost, $500/month for heat? How do people stay warm up there? No way I can afford $500/month for heat. I have read some of your other comments and topics. You and your family were unhappy in Vermont when you first moved there. How are you feeling about it now?
Is a pellet stove portable? Or is it installed? I will definitely be a renter for at least the first year.
Thanks for emphasizing the need for a humidifier. Any thoughts about cell phone service, internet?
Yeah, $500/month for heat, sometimes more. I'd expect you'd be paying less if you're renting an apartment. Depends on how old the apartment is though. We rented an apartment when we first got here and it was horribly insulated and we were at about $400/month. We were probably keeping it at about 65-68 degrees. This is why a lot of people keep their thermostat at 55 degrees and wear layers inside. Winter is rough here.

A pellet stove isn't portable - it needs to be installed, unless you are very handy, by a professional. We cut our heat bill from $500/month to about $300/month by buying a pellet stove. It cost about $1700 for the purchase and installation (we bought a cheap one but it has worked great). It'll have paid for itself by the end of this winter. They do require electricity in addition to pellets though. So if the power goes out, you need a backup source.

Frankly, we don't fit in here and I am looking for a job somewhere with a lower cost of living and a warmer climate.

Can't give you any advice on cell or internet in the Rutland area... sorry!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info you've been able to share AmILost. I wish you and your family success in relocating.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM

371 posts, read 539,416 times
$500 a month for heat is more than excessive. Look for an apartment where heat is paid, very easy to find in Rutland for less than $800 a month for a one bedroom. Need more, pay more. I own a single-family rental home in Windsor that never uses more than 300 gallons of oil a year to heat. Granted it is small, but very well-insulated with updated systems. Internet and cell phone service vary; you can call providers in Rutland for pricing. Many landlords accept pets on a case-by-case basis (I do) and you have a better chance in Rutland than anywhere else. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM

371 posts, read 539,416 times
Oh and I might add that using an Internet forum is probably not the most reliable way of garnering information on a locale. You will see the same people posting/responding here (many of whom have only visited Vermont) and that is far less than .01% of the total population of the state. That is just a handful of people. Take what people post with a grain of salt. The only way to really find out is to move here. Links to additional information are helpful, but opinions are subjective and relative to each person's individual experience. I wish you the best in your search!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 PM

274 posts, read 675,091 times
We have natural gas heat for a 2300sf house in Chittenden County and our highest month is $250. We only see that in Jan/Feb. That includes gas for the water heater too. The house is 13 years old but doesn't have as good insulation as it should for the age, though is not as bad as a 100yr old farm house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont