Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,668,356 times

Advertisements

A few years ago when my Wife was in the Rutland City School system, heroin was a huge problem, which for some reason we found really shocking. It was one of our first "This is s different Vermont than we thought we were getting" moments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM

63 posts, read 138,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I almost spit out my coffee over the bloods and crips comment........This is not 1988. You might have some Latin Kings from the Albany and Springfield areas or some other street gang.....but the bloods and crips...I don't think so,too funny.
Actually the bloods and crypts are a big issue in Rutland. They are also causing problems in Brattleboro, Barre, Burlington, Bellows Falls, and WRJ. It's 2013 and they are taking advantage of our rural vulnerability.
As a life long local, you could not pay me to live in Rutland. Just one person's opinion. The drug problems, esp in the schools. You can pretend it is not here, but it is. I deal with it daily as a cop. We had a gang related shooting in Springfield last year (bloods affiliated). The arrest of 2 from NJ were a part of that... bout a week ago.
They don't spend 8 hour blocks teaching us about gang activity in VT at the police academy for giggles. It is a serious problem here. And a well ignored one.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 PM

So, to the OP, stay out of the cities I mentioned in the above post and add Springfield to it.
Stowe has the highest rated schools in VT, if schools are important to you. Burlington can be good if you choose the right neighborhoods.
Some good communities off the top of my head: Woodstock, Middlebury, Chester, Ludlow, Cavendish, Ascutney, Rochester, Brandon, Newfane, Townshend, Grafton, Stowe, Weston, Stratton, Jamaica, My Holly, Plymouth, Reading (pronounced Redding), Putney.
There are a ton more.
Rutland is a place on the decline. Drugs, Gangs, the mall is 1/2 empty, housing prices are expensive to live, and cheap to sell. More bad streets than nice ones. It used to be a great little town. Now it is a drug funnel from Albany.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,472 times
Chester? That is one of the towns that the gangs have targeted. There was a good size bust there last fall.
Small Vt. community deals with drugs, guns, gangs - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

And Woodstock or Stowe are nice if you want the Disneyland tourist trap scene.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
I think Woodstock has bigger drug issues than many think, but it's easier to hide when you've got money.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,621,729 times
If I were you I would move to Middlebury.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Middlebury is a very nice town. Chester is good too. Things about Chester tho: sky high property taxes, and TONS of transplants. Some nice, some not.
The issues in Chester are spilling over from Springfield, as far as the drugs. They have been cracking down, and it has calmed. They are finding it is easier to stay in Springfield. Good.
The whole state is a tourist trap scene. Woodstock is pretty, and good schools. Stowe same thing. If I were going to relocate anywhere in the state it would be Middlebury.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,972,188 times
Bumping. Also wanted to know how the drug problem is nowadays. Has it gotten better or worse? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,235 times
They just put a methadone (sp?) clinic literally a stones throw away from my home. I put up 8 foot privacy fence which locks from the inside. We had both of our cars broke into and last week someone stole my license plate right in my driveway. I have an empty apartment I haven't been able to rent for almost 6 months. I live in this buildin with my family which makes it more difficult. And yes, this is in Rutland. Although I may get frustrated I can't wait for law school to be over so I can move out of Rutland city. Don't get me wrong, Vermonts a great place just
Not Rutland city. And remember we do have one of the best gun laws in the nation if you're into that kind of stuff. I would seriously consider the communities on the outside of Rutland like another poster suggested. I myself like Clarendon and mt holly.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,972,188 times
Are you at Vermont Law School? I've always wanted to go there. Thanks for the other suggestions, I will check them out. We're still trying to figure out where we want to be, looking at Bennington, too. Thanks for your help. Have you been In Rutland long? Trying to figure out if Rutland when down hill slowly or if it was abrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont