Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 AM

100 posts, read 381,891 times

Advertisements

Layering your clothes is the key to keeping warm in winter.
Anywhere you live in VT usually has a store nearby that will sell appropriate winter coats. Southern VT has Sam's Outdoor Outfitters.

LOL, winters are not what they used to be here, even 10 years ago. Things have warmed up. We didn't get our first killing frost here in Bratt until just a few days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,095,075 times
I'll tell one thing I noticed already. Mornings are freezing here...really cold. Then by 9-10-11am it warms up. I walk to get my mail and layer 3 or 4 shirts/jackets on top of each other but by the time I get home I am boiling.

Layers are the way..!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM

267 posts, read 1,837,337 times
Again, thanks everyone! I love shopping and good bargains so I know I'll find somethings the family will like and keep warm. By the way, when does it start snowing? We moved here in March and there was a ton of snow. This will be our first real winter here. I hope I can survive it! hehe. I know my husband will because he loves loves the cold. Not I! I like the heat.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:46 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,283,219 times
luv80s...it could snow any day now. The snow tires are going on in the morning!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:43 PM

As much as I don't like the cold and snow, I do look forward to try out skiing. I've been once about 5 years ago in Canada and loved it. Lots of fun!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM

22 posts, read 72,539 times
What kind of cold weather pants would you guys recommend? What kind are good for cross country skiing?

Also, any favorites on long undies?

Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM

104 posts, read 492,114 times
Ditto for online shopping at LLBean, there is also Farm-Way in Bradford VT. Lnney is great for boots. Don't forget 2nd hand stores for kids. At that age, kids outgrow they clothes so fast that they are barely used.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM

226 posts, read 694,411 times
There's a new place that sells fleece lined wool sweaters, socks, hats, mittens, & gloves up at the UMall. Also, Burton makes some of the warmest waterproof, fleece lined mittens I've ever worn. Waterproof mittens, boots, snowpants, & jacket are all important for snowball fighting and sledding purposes.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:30 PM

155 posts, read 614,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
We went shopping yesterday and bought some coats at Dicks. Still need to do some more shopping but we're okay for now. What do you dress a baby in for the winters up here? Right now my baby is only 6weeks old so she is in her little sleepers most of the time. I know to put on her hat and mittens when its cold outside but what about when its really really cold, are those bunting bags good? They seem so bulky but I know she is too little for a real coat (do they even make those in infant sizes?). Or what about those car seat/infant carrier covers, are those good to have? Stupid questions, I know, but coming from the warm south we didn't need much for winter clothes.
My oldest was born in Sept and my youngest was born in Jan. We plan to move to Vermont in the spring, but right now we live in Maryland which does have a cold winter and snow/ice for about 3 months. I have to say that you should get one of the winter car seat covers. Ours was such a lifesaver, they do make "coat" style bunting of babies which is great for outside play but it is not safe or easy to use with an infant car seat because of the seat belts. Just to layer your baby (undershirt, leggings, thin socks, footed sleeper, plus hat and mittens) then just buckle them in their seat and zip up the car seat cover. Fooling with blankets is scary with young babies (they might cover their face by turning and pulling) and older ones just throw them off and end up being cold. So the car seat cover style blanket is they way to go IMHO.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 PM

Vermont08, I just bought one of those Bundle Me seat covers for our daughter and it is so warm and cozy! She stays asleep in it even when we bring her carrier in the house. I'm also begining to notice that the cold is not as bad as I thought. When we first moved here it was freeeeezing!!! Now I'm getting use to it. I'm liking it a little more and my son loves playing in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont