Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK1 View Post
Or maybe its because everyone is working more than one job...

I love both my jobs and all my volunteer work. I'd go nuts if I had
to do just one job all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
People have to work 2 jobs because the pay is terrible and you have crappy part time hours at best.

A higher percentage of Vermonters work multiple jobs compared with other New Englanders, but according to that article it's still a small percentage of Vermonters:

"
Statistics show that about 9.4 percent of the labor force held a second job in 2007.

The New England average is 6.2 percent. The national average is 5.2 percent."

Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Yeah, I know but I will still say it sucks to get a job here unless you 'know someone' or 'are lucky.'

The recession hasn't helped, either. I am sure this has been a real problem in the last year and half when I have been looking.

I'm done and looking to get out. I know the grass isn't greener but I have to play the percentages now. I surely do not see it getting better. It's not like a miracle is going to happen and suddenly flood Vermont with industry/or jobs.

After 2 years of 'scrimping' and 'isolation' I am ready to move back into the world with more potential to make income. If Vermont works out for others, terrific. For me, it's been a mixed bag at best.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
After 2 years of 'scrimping' and 'isolation' I am ready to move back into the world with more potential to make income. If Vermont works out for others, terrific. For me, it's been a mixed bag at best.

I hear you. Not everywhere is going to work out for everyone, and Vermont has fewer opportunities than most. I'm sorry it's been so difficult and frustrating. I really hope you find somewhere that gets you better results for all that you're willing to offer as an employee.

Having a run of bad luck and not nearly enough good luck can really sour someone on a place.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks Sheryl..you folks have always been nice and helpful. I'm sure for many people life is fine here, but sometimes things work out for other reasons.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM

302 posts, read 868,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Since this was in regard to the "7th boro" comment, I was wondering if VT has the same attribute I noticed when I was temporarily living in the Hartford, CT area this summer where Yankees vs. Red Sox was like Yankees vs. Mets in NYC. I was up in the Burlington area in April for an interview that could've possibly led to a relocation from metro NYC and that was the vibe I got then.
No, it's different. Hartford is in between Boston and NYC so they get a bit of both. Most (native) Vermonters support the Boston teams, at least when they win.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

I hear you. Not everywhere is going to work out for everyone, and Vermont has fewer opportunities than most. I'm sorry it's been so difficult and frustrating. I really hope you find somewhere that gets you better results for all that you're willing to offer as an employee.

Having a run of bad luck and not nearly enough good luck can really sour someone on a place.
VT has fewer opportunities, but costs more (at least the Burlington area) than places where the pay averages $5 an hour more. Why?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:06 AM

44 posts, read 91,612 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know but I will still say it sucks to get a job here unless you 'know someone' or 'are lucky.'

The recession hasn't helped, either. I am sure this has been a real problem in the last year and half when I have been looking.

I'm done and looking to get out. I know the grass isn't greener but I have to play the percentages now. I surely do not see it getting better. It's not like a miracle is going to happen and suddenly flood Vermont with industry/or jobs.

Where are you and the hubby thinking of going; any ideas yet?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinthecity View Post
Where are you and the hubby thinking of going; any ideas yet?
Not 100%...but not back to NY...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 PM

44 posts, read 91,612 times
You've more than put in your time trying to make it in Vermont. I hope your next locale treats you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont