Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times

Advertisements

It's not just a laid back lifestyle which explains the lack of quality and availability of services here. Also, it's not the fact that wages are too low to perform decent work. I hate to say it, but I agree with mustmove who described it best in his recent posts. At first when I moved here I thought, heck, maybe it's just bad luck initially in getting people to do decent work at a fair price, but after being here now for almost four years both my wife and I seeing it both at home and at work, it's simply a fact of poor work ethics. My coworkers, many of whom are native Vermonters agree with this and have volumes of examples to back this up. Granted, I have had some luck in finding people who really care about doing a good job, but I have to say overwhelmingly that the majority tend to be slugs with poor work ethics desiring only to be able to get the maximum dollar for the minimum amount of expenditure both in effort,time, and money spent. So, when you hear of Yankee values being promoted, well, buyer beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
At first when I moved here I thought, heck, maybe it's just bad luck initially in getting people to do decent work at a fair price, but after being here now for almost four years both my wife and I seeing it both at home and at work, it's simply a fact of poor work ethics.
I've seen some of this, too. We found the most amazing and reliable plumber who charged reasonable prices. I will never forget this because it stands out as one of the only times we found someone to do the work we needed with the quality we want.

I can't believe the trouble I've had getting someone to do clothing alterations. I cannot sew at all and it's unlikely I'll start. The "highly recommended" people I brought my clothing to either did terrible work or had personal issues problems that kept them from completing jobs in a reasonable amount of time.

When bought our house in 1999, we needed someone to install simple roof gutters. We got a recommendation from a friend who'd had work done by this person in the past. His work was horrible. The gutters were barely attached and were feeding water into a part of the roof/wall that was causing rot. And he charged way too much. At our request he returned at no charge to attempt to fix the gutters, but everything he did made it worse so we just gave up and ripped them out.

On a happier note, in my nonprofit work I have highly skilled coworkers and colleagues who have excellent work ethics, go above and beyond, and generally make my job much more enjoyable. I'm quite self-motivated and even I find myself wanting to do better because of the high quality and conscientious workers around me. It's a fun vibe to resonate with.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
[color=Indigo]

I can't believe the trouble I've had getting someone to do clothing alterations. I cannot sew at all and it's unlikely I'll start.
Yes, I said this above...trying to get a local to do some hemming was a joke. I just sew my son's hems myself. Hubby and I work as a team. He cuts and I sew.

As for me, I don't have much money for new clothes so, hey, I don't have that problem!! Smiling, looking at the bright side....

Funny story about builders/contractors, whatever and sluggish work ethics/being on their own time schedule & little world...

I was working in connection with the building industry and the contractors/whoever had to be 'certified' by our 'department' to work on our houses. Anyhow, they were notoriously cagey and hard to locate sometimes, and yes, shoddy in some respects...they also failed to meet a lot of the 'deadlines' and didn't like to follow the association rules (but they wanted me to recommend them..). I told them I leave at 4 because "I HAVE TO" and I made sure they knew this. (I used to go in early to compensate and they were cool with this at the job).

One day I was packing up to leave and this guy comes in and starts to ask me a million questions, pull out blueprints, whatever...I looked at the guy and said, "I leave at 4." (I had to be home because my husband goes to work at night and I had to watch my son). The guy looks at me like I am nuts. I repeat, "I have to go in a minute...I told you before on the phone.."

He scratches his head like he doesn't understand and repeats, "You have to go...now?" Why?"

But ask him (or others) to meet our building deadlines and you could hear the wind whistle through the wind...till we had to threaten to 'dump them' off our projects..

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 02-19-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
As for me, I don't have much money for new clothes so, hey, I don't have that problem!! Smiling, looking at the bright side....

I buy everything at consignment stores except underwear and socks. I get awesome clothes cheap. Last Saturday I got five brand-new-looking shirts for $1 each at Camille's in Rutland. Everything except spring clothing is on rock-bottom sale right now.

When I shop consignment for nicer clothes for work events, weddings, and such, I sometimes find a beautiful outfit that just needs simple alterations to fit me. Now I can't even depend on finding that. Say, let us know if the team of you and your husband decide to take in sewing.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
I've gotten some favorite clothes second hand.

One day, several years ago, I discovered a consignment store in Forest Hills, Queens (NY). I had seen my chiropractor and had decided to explore the other side of Queens Boulevard. The store had great stuff. It had clothes, jewelry and some home furnishings. The idea of second hand clothes bothered me, but I liked what I saw and I bought. I got good quality clothing at very low prices. Very quickly, the clothes felt like mine.

I've also gotten nice stuff, for myself and for gifts, at yard sales. At a yard sale in Staten Island, across the street form my then-job, I got a Jensen silver pin for a dollar. I actually asked the seller if she realized the value of the pin. She said she did, but she wanted to get rid of it.

As I type I am wearing a beautifully detailed silver ring. I got it at a yard sale near my old job in Brooklyn. A young girl offered it to me for, I think, 6 dollars. I thought I really didn't need it and walked away. Then I thought that it was stupid not to buy the ring at that price, since it fit and I liked it. I went back. Well, an older woman, probably the young girl's mother, insisted that the ring was silver and she was not going to sell it for 6 dollars. Anticipating the worst, I asked how much she wanted.

Eight dollars.

I bought the ring.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
When it comes to jewelry and other expensive items just beware that if you get a really good deal on it in a "street side" sale, unfortunately it was probably stolen in a burglary. I know quite a few few people pawn now to try and make ends meet, but from experience in LE an astounding amount of this stuff was pilfered. I only bring this up due to Arel's description of a little kid selling stuff. I busted up several burglary rings in which adults used kids to sell stuff for the cash. Even here in Vermont the majority of burglary items involve dopers who fence stolen goods.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Even here in Vermont the majority of burglary items involve dopers who fence stolen goods.
True in this bizarre Rutland story:
Details emerge in alleged burglary: Rutland Herald Online

"In court filings, Elliott wrote that police began investigating Bousquet and McCoy after jewelers in the area began reporting Eileen Coughlin's collection turning up for sale."

Old 02-21-2009, 06:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
Since we are on the subject of jewelry, gold prices are over a $1,000. an ounce. Good time to sell that broken necklace and bracelet.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I've just had someone 'chew me out' about 'not wanting' to work here in Vermont.

What a joke...if only people knew how most of us from NY come here and are ready to hit the ground running but the inertia of the state and slowness just creeps into your daily life after awhile...

Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've just had someone 'chew me out' about 'not wanting' to work here in Vermont.
Ignore it. But do tell me who it is, sounds like a perfect prospect for buying my VT house
Seriously don't let it bug ya. Those that know understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont