Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM

129 posts, read 235,073 times

Advertisements

One thing worth mentioning, and I don't know if this would apply to you or not. When I came here, I had to call about 10 doctor's offices to find one that was accepting patients. And THEN, they couldn't fit me in for an appointment for 6 weeks. So, if you're thinking this is a place where you want to be when you're very sick, I would think twice about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM

325 posts, read 707,606 times
Vermont has changed a lot, and it sucks now.

Half the doctors do not know what they"re doing.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,195,918 times
OP, your initial sentence says a lot in a "not saying too much" sort of way. I work for some great octogenarians who basically left the rat race and coined the phrase, " I live in Veront, I do what I want." In most ways, very true, but there are hindrances. I say vsit VT and if it fits you it just does. Not everyone relies on demographics, local/visitor input, etc...some people just get a gut feeling and do it. However, look at financial implications for "YOU". We are not all in the same boat.

In asmuch, I'm sure you can find lottery winners with a website that will say winning 200 million is the worst thing that has ever happened to them. Seek what finds you peace, because it is YOURS. Naysayers will inevitably attract the negative and vice-versa.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 AM

662 posts, read 1,262,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
One thing worth mentioning, and I don't know if this would apply to you or not. When I came here, I had to call about 10 doctor's offices to find one that was accepting patients. And THEN, they couldn't fit me in for an appointment for 6 weeks. So, if you're thinking this is a place where you want to be when you're very sick, I would think twice about that.
If next winter is too cold for you there are options.

Vermont Legalizes Assisted Suicide

MONTPELIER, Vt. -- After years of debate, Vermont became the fourth state in the country Monday to allow doctors to prescribe lethal doses of medicine to terminally ill patients seeking to end their lives.
Gov. Peter Shumlin signed the bill into law at a Statehouse ceremony.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:26 PM

66 posts, read 114,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I lived in Rutland and South Florida. Your summation in this post is pretty close for not having lived in either place
While both were not desirable living situations -- and I try to find good in the many places I have lived in my life -- if I never see or hear of Florida again, Id be OK with that.
If you do visit Rutland, look in towns outside or Rutland, too, like Proctor or Rochester, etc . . . A lot to like if you can make it financially.
Rutland did not really seem that compared to Oakland, but I would have to spend some time there. I just am pretty clueless. I drove sort of past Vermont once over 20 years ago, and all I remember it was kind of green.
I think what I would like to do would be get one of those cheaper rustic sort of properties to use as a vacation home without having to give up my san francisco home. I figured since the winter is too much heat it up. I would just turn off the gas and utilities and close it up for the winter. What is amazing to me is the prices are so low that I can afford to buy a house without having to sell mine. I can buy it from my savings. I did not mean to insult Rutland, it just depends on what one is coming from. If they have not seen Oakland where people die every night in some kind of gang warfare, Rutland could seem terrible.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,670,019 times
I thought of your post this morning when I was listening to the news. I would hold off on moving for a while to see how the legalized assisted suicide pans out. I did not realize this, but physicians and hospitals can opt out if they choose to. Apparently several physicians and several hospitals have decided to opt out of the aid in dying law. The quote from the news this morning, Most hospitals are expected, at least for the time being, to opt out of implementing it. I'm sure this doesn't mean it will never happen or be an option for patients, but even though it passed and became law, the bill was not popular statewide.
My personal feeling is there will be revisions to the law. I think many ethics departments in each of these hospitals will have something useful to add to the law. The main concern is terminally patients can be possibly influenced into suicide the way the law is currently written. This is an ethical concern as well as a legal issue.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM

From what I saw in 3 years it will be the most liberal of all states even more so then Oregon, but it will take three years, but I am not worried until I am 65 and I am only 48 at this point. I have a lot of time, but I would like to get moved before I am 65, just because it would too stressful to move if I had a serious illness. I did do a lot of research and it was hard to find out any information. Clearly, I would not join a health plan in which the doctors had opted out. I have not yet researched health plans in Vermont. But, I guess there is a lack of them from what I am reading.

If a moderator can read this please tell why I am subscribed to my own thread, but I can't get any email notification, even though I configured the settings. I don't even get an email notification if I have a private message.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Wooden floors in Vermont

I have seen some very nice homes in Vermont, but they have wooden floors. One may think wooden floors are desirable, but I have had them for years and they are not desirable. They tend to suffer damage due to water and pets that do things. The floors I would like would be these newer type of materials that can be wiped clean. Wooden floors are not supposed to be washed with water, and it pretty complicated to clean them. I have to use water to clean and there is no other way. Although, they were not in good shape when we moved in, now they are really in bad shape. It is very expensive to rip out wooden floors and put in all new flooring. I may have to give up having pets. But, you know how it is, one day a cute kitten is found and then one ends up with another problem pet. I would like to have another Chow Chow Dog because I am sure he would like the Vermont weather.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 PM

63 posts, read 138,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhuu View Post
I wouldn't want this forum to change into the Florida forum where the militia of regulars mugs anybody whose opinion isn't all rainbows and happy unicorns spreading magical pixie dust everywhere

I guess those people who live in Florida want people to move there? Maybe Vermonters don't want people to move there? I like to use the site best place because you can look up city by city, but there are some cities and towns in Vermont with no comments on them. Colchester and Essex, actually Essex has one positive comment about vacationing there. Chester, Woodstock or Manchester have no comments.

It is true one should see if the post has something useful to say even if it is negative. But, it is very frustrating because often they don't.

I have not really seriously considered Florida because of the hurricanes. And it is is too hot all the time. I am not into the beach lifestyle. Walking in sand hurts my knee which hurts often, but sand just gives me horrible knee pain.

Rutland seems like it is the central CA of Vermont. Sort of like Bakersfield CA. People live there because it is cheaper then the rest of CA, but they end up on drugs because they are bored and broke and then maybe start to sell drugs. Drugs don't pay for taxes, so the city goes bankrupt as hardily no one is working and no one is buying consumer goods, but instead just drugs and cell phone. Stockton did go bankrupt and there is Fresno to consider, just nothing there to do and no beauty of nature either. If I had time I would go to Rutland to see how it compares to central CA.
4th generation Vermonter here. And I am moving out, just FYI, because we cannot afford to live here anymore.
As to your post, Chester, Woodstock, and Manchester are all very similar towns. I grew up in Chester. It can be a bit snooty, as can Woodstock. All are pretty towns, but I'd say Chester is the most picturesque. Wealthy towns, with wealthy ppl. Sky HIGH property taxes = sky high rentals. You are taxed on everything even your satellite tv... just so you know.

I saw you mention senior homes... of the ones I know there is over a years wait. Not enough housing to go around, and not cheap.

As for Rutland... it is the armpit of VT. Just don't. Same goes for Bellows Falls, Springfield, Springfield, Barre, and Springfield. That said, Rutland Hospital is actually a great hospital.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Skiplarue; 06-25-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: the quote didn't work right

Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,865,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiplarue View Post
You are taxed on everything even your satellite tv... just so you know.
Isn't this normal everywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont