Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 7,555 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the responses. I have to agree that the road plowing in PA is not done very well. While I don't like the cold, I can deal with it but my wife despises it. I guess I have to work the numbers out because it seems home heating will become a major expense and may eat up any money I gain from a higher paying position. Also, because I purchased my home in central PA prior to the natural gas industry coming in and raising home prices, my mortage is very reasonable. Lots to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,292,162 times
Vermont does maintain its roads very well in the winter. While crunching the numbers, research the tax situation in Vermont. Vermonters say property taxes are high, but they're lower than where I live in PA. Since you don't live in a large metro, Vermont property taxes might be higher for you. Also research the other taxes.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,555 times
After doing some research, it seems the taxes in PA and Vermont aren't that far off from each other. Its not uncommon to pay near 4k in taxes where I live. I'm willing to pay around 4-5k in taxes, but not more (I'd rather pay less but it is what it is).

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2006 View Post
After doing some research, it seems the taxes in PA and Vermont aren't that far off from each other. Its not uncommon to pay near 4k in taxes where I live. I'm willing to pay around 4-5k in taxes, but not more (I'd rather pay less but it is what it is).
In Chittenden County the average is going to be around your max. The newer your home the more you will end up paying. Our best friends just built a home that is about 3500 sqft two years ago. Their property were just increased to $8000/yr this past tax bill. One of the hot debates that is being discussed in the state are property taxes because of school budgets. In Chittenden County taxes on property have been going up on average 5-10%/ year. This is primarily due to school tax increases. One of the things the governor has proposed is to lower the property tax prebate. In Vermont people with hosehold incomes of $105,000 or less are eligable for property tax adjustment. The problem the governor pointed out with this system is people who make under the income limit are not effected by tax increases as much as those making above the limit. What ends up happening is people pass school budgets with little financial impact on themselves. By lowering the prebate, more people will have to vote with financial responsibility. I have been in my current home for 10 years and my property taxes have more than doubled. My rental home I have owned for 19 years and the property taxes there have more than tripled. Just a little information on the property tax structure in the state.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM

18,362 posts, read 26,570,273 times
Quote:
You might want to consider the taxes that will be coming if the state goes ahead with the single payer healthcare plan. Green Mountain Care Board chair blunt about taxes *:*Rutland Herald Online

Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,897,485 times
On the car front I think it's worth buying decent snow tires. Subaru + snow tires is really a winning combination but FWD with good snow tires should be fine. I think snow tires + FWD is better than AWD with all seasons in a lot of situations.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 PM

150 posts, read 218,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You might want to consider the taxes that will be coming if the state goes ahead with the single payer healthcare plan. Green Mountain Care Board chair blunt about taxes *:*Rutland Herald Online
Good point. The potential is very high for the Gov's health care plan to dramatically increase the tax burden on working VTers who own property. There are many more steps before this plan comes to fruition, but the cost could be enormous. Anyone moving to VT who will have a decent income and own a home or other property should be aware of this.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
Good point. The potential is very high for the Gov's health care plan to dramatically increase the tax burden on working VTers who own property. There are many more steps before this plan comes to fruition, but the cost could be enormous. Anyone moving to VT who will have a decent income and own a home or other property should be aware of this.
That is a great point. If you do a little simple math, 2.1 billion/just over 600,000 people comes out to $3355/yr. This is if every citizen was to pay equally. This will never happen. The more you make, the more you will pay. This week Montpelier stated that even 2.1 billion may be a conservative number. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was LT. Gov. Phil Scott who stated this.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:55 AM

698 posts, read 963,846 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response. This winter has been abnormally cold in central PA with almost 2 straight weeks at or below zero and more coming next week.
Of course they are going to pay you more, who wants to move where winter lasts 6 months?

Weeks of cold??? try MONTHS of cold, especially in the northern part of the state.
Winter is LONG and COLD!

Getting 6+ inches of snow overnight and going to school the next day is pretty normal.

My heat would go on Oct 1st and off on May 1st, if it was cold enough for heat before or after those dates I would just tell everyone put on a sweater, layer up cause I refuse to turn on the heat. You could easily be heating your home from Sept thru May. A huge expense you must factor in.

If this job is temporary, then it might be fun to give VT a try, if it's a permanent move I'd think twice
or come up to visit for a week ASAP!

Having pets will make it very difficult to find a rental, even if you only have a cat, it's all about luck and timing.

A Subaru is the norm in VT, a Honda should do well too BUT it depends on your driving skills and the terrain you need to cover.

I left the state after 17 years for many reasons but the main reason was the long, cold winters.

Sounds to me like you need to do more research and definitely come for a week long visit before deciding.
This is a big decision!

Now summer in VT......GORGEOUS and way too short!

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 AM

698 posts, read 963,846 times
[quote=sovertennis;33650240]The potential is very high for the Gov's health care plan to dramatically increase the tax burden on working VTers who own property. [quote]

SERIOUSLY????

VT property taxes are already beyond ridiculous. VT ranks #3 in highest property taxes in the country!
Behind NJ and CT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont