Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 AM

150 posts, read 218,143 times

Advertisements

[quote=VTGal;33674949][quote=sovertennis;33650240]The potential is very high for the Gov's health care plan to dramatically increase the tax burden on working VTers who own property.
Quote:

SERIOUSLY????

VT property taxes are already beyond ridiculous. VT ranks #3 in highest property taxes in the country!
Behind NJ and CT
Logic would dictate that if the State of VT needs about $2 billion, minimum, to fund a universal health care plan, then the money would have to come from those who have at least a moderate income, and own property, small businesses, etc. If there's something that can be taxed, it will be taxed, and more so than it already is taxed.

State-wide property taxes have already increased about 20% in the past three years, and will certainly go higher under a universal health care scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM

698 posts, read 963,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2006 View Post
After doing some research, it seems the taxes in PA and Vermont aren't that far off from each other. Its not uncommon to pay near 4k in taxes where I live. I'm willing to pay around 4-5k in taxes, but not more (I'd rather pay less but it is what it is).
You'll be paying more than that in VT! See my post about VT being #3 highest in property taxes in the entire country!

In 2008 I sold a 1,000 sq ft 2 story home, it was modest but in good condition, the taxes were $3800, since then taxes have jumped quite a bit
My next home was a ranch, 1200 sq ft with a finished walk out basement, good condition, modest home, nothing fancy, $5800

Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 PM

698 posts, read 963,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester2006 View Post
While I don't like the cold, I can deal with it but my wife despises it.
Just with this statement alone, I would NOT move to VT. Not unless you want a very unhappy wife.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 AM

5,861 posts, read 5,317,660 times
Yes Vermont winters can be brutal but with climate change, we have had some mild winters in the past few years-this year NOT being one of them. Heating costs can get very pricey. Oil & natural gas are the norms for heating but renewables are starting to emerge as alternatives. Wood pellet stoves are becoming popular. The problem with them is that you always have to keep feeding them. There have also been a lot of fires caused by people not keeping their chimneys clean. Also, this past week or so, there have been a shortage of pellets because it has been so cold this winter.

If you really want to make a big investment, you can either go geothermal or an air to air heat exchange which can extract heat from the air down to -22. Putting either one of those in is VERY costly but they will save you in heating costs in the long run. Plus, right now there are incentives. You can get a 30% tax credit from the Fed & Vermont will give you up to $2000 in what they call "Button Up, Vermont" that helps you make your home more energy/heat efficient.

We are restoring an old Victorian house that we just put in an air to air heat exchange. This is why I know about this. We have been shopping for an alternative to burning dead dinosaurs. At first we were going to go with geothermal but we discovered that putting in the air to air was cheaper to put in and the savings will be about the same. We haven't gotten the first electric bill to see our savings yet but I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than the last bill we got from the oil company.

Cat

Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 PM

15 posts, read 32,364 times
Default Snowing in Southern Vermont

The spring, summer and especially FALL... are breath taking.
The winter... well... it is dark ... and long... as a matter of fact it is dark and snowing now. Do you ski? (It is 3' deep in March) So, if you are blessed and can work from home from a computer... MOVE TO VERMONT. If you LOVE to ski... this is heaven! I have been in CHester, VT since 1996 and I do love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont