Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times

Advertisements

Went kayaking on Rich Pond then a short distance down the Lemon Fair River.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
Taken late in the day on Sept. 21st in Montgomery.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times
After living in the Northern Rockies for awhile now, I'm desperate to see some Vermont foliage photos. If I could afford to take time off from work and fly back to Vermont for a few weeks this time of year, I'd do it. Since I can't, I'd love to live vicariously through some of your photos...anyone?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 PM

The colors are a little late, if not spotty right now tdna, but here's a few from earlier today. Hope you enjoy.

Craftsbury Common Sept. 29, 2009

Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,473 times
Thanks. Man, Vermont is gorgeous. I miss it.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 AM

274 posts, read 952,429 times
Square Peg, those shots are amazing. Do you mind if I ask what type camera you're using?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 AM

Just about the cheapest digital I could find at the time. Kodak Easyshare C713 / 7.1 megapixel with 3X optical zoom. It's a general purpose camera - that's all. Got the camera and memory card for under a hundred bucks. Believe me, I throw away plenty of shots as it doesn't do skies very consistently. A lot of them get washed out. But when the angle is right, it does a decent job. I tweaked the color and contrast on two of the above photos and also did a little cropping using the stock Windows photo editor that's part of the Vista package.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Hey SP....I also use a little cheap($199) Kodak EasyShare. Check the front of the lens on your camera I bet dollars to doughnuts it has a genuine Schneider lens. Schneider has been making some of the best optics like forever. They make the lens for top large format cameras like the ones Ansel Adams used. That's why I bought it and it takes awesome pics.

Here is a foliage image from today. The light wasn't exactly great but as I was leaving work I decided to snap a couple of shots. It's more to show where the foliage is at. I'm sure most know that the foliage travels north to south so this is from about 60 mile north of Rutland, about 30 miles south of Stowe, along Rt 100. I say it's at about 60% here, totally debatable.

The pumpkin display is from the veggie/garden at Sugarbush. It's right in the middle of the base area so the two restaurants here use the veggies/herbs and the flowers for decoration. We hired a gal to just install and maintain the garden....a perfect example, abeit a small one, where growing and using veggies locally does produce jobs.

A wider view

The foliage, peak 7-10 days, maybe less, maybe more

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Never knew I had something in common with Ansel Adams. Thanks for pointing that out, MRV. :smile: Love the pumpkins! Jay has some good color now, but the clouds were too low today to have a good look. There was also a bit of wet snow above 2000 ft. Downright chilly day here. I'm still rather amazed that some of the sugar maples behind my house in North Troy haven't changed at all.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Never knew I had something in common with Ansel Adams. Thanks for pointing that out, MRV. :smile: Love the pumpkins! Jay has some good color now, but the clouds were too low today to have a good look. There was also a bit of wet snow above 2000 ft. Downright chilly day here. I'm still rather amazed that some of the sugar maples behind my house in North Troy haven't changed at all.
Yup, the wind had abit of the winter bite today. I figured Jay Pk would be getting pretty close to peak, I bet Hazen Notch is looking pretty right now.

I found that certain trees turn during the same time reference every year. The same trees turn early and the same trees turn late. After peak I always go to the same sugarbushs every year some an hour away in the southern end of the Champlain Valley, year after year.
If the Maples in question usually turn early than that is odd, could be a bunch of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont